StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Or at least I tried too...)

My bike is my only means of transportation, and while my corner of the Pacific North Wet has pretty mild winters compared to other places, it does get below freezing on a fairly regular basis, plus lots of rain = ice.

I've read a couple of the darkside threads floating around, and based on what I read in randyo's darkside thread, I purchased a 205-50/R17 General Altimax Artic tire and mounted it on the bike wheel over the weekend. Getting the CT on the MC wheel was a PITA, but with the help of a couple friends: mission accomplished.

We mounted the wheel on the bike only to find that the chain rubs against the sidewall, a lot. We brainstormed a little and decided to get some 10mm washers (~1/8" thick) and stick them under the sprocket in the hopes that that would take care of the rubbing. It helped, but the chain still rubbed against the tire sidewall. Not willing to double stack the washers, I decided to put the MC tire back on and do some more research.

Which brings me here, does anyone have any thoughts on why the CT did not fit? Perhaps the ABS bracket? Can anyone recommend a smaller width winter tire? I've been looking for a narrower 17" tire, but I cant find anything smaller than a 205. :headbang:

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
If one wanted to try the car tire and it worked for other folks I'd be a bit disappointed. What mods has Suzuki made in the swing arm that wouldn't allow the same tire to fit your bike.
Personally I like the idea of the car tire and any problems noted are of interest.
Good luck.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
When I went looking for a car tire to fit the strom rear wheel, I could not find any that would fit the strom rim to my satisfaction.

The closest I could find would have hung a combined 2.16in over the sides of the rim. There's no way I want to corner a tubless car tire on the rim of a motorcycle at high speed with that kind of difference.

10,000 miles on darkside

·
Registered
213 Posts
Clearance is lesser than I want, about 2 to 3 mm., but it does not rub. But I run General UHP. The only suggestion I have is to check the wheel alignment and chain stretch. I doubt there is any difference in swing arm or wheel geometry/sizes, rather not all tires are alike...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts