StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed down the search to about three 650 V STroms in my area for my wife's next bike. They range in years from 2006 to 2008. The 2007 comes with trunk, MadStad Adjustable Windshield Mount, handlebar risers, and Pelican side bags. The bike looks like mint in the pictures and has low mileage and is the best value.

Can anyone suggest what things I should look at for wear or potential problems?

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The main things I look for are a maintenance history and an impression of the previous owner. Regular oil and filter changes and a valve clearance inspection by 20,000km are the main items to check. Dark brake fluid could be a problem sign as bikes of that age should have had the brake fluid flushed at least once. Otherwise, make sure all the controls work properly and check for leaks and wear items like tires, chain, sprockets and brake pads. Is said owner is somebody I'd feel good about sitting down with and sharing bike history stories? If not, he/she had better be someone who put on little mileage or got regular dealer maintenance.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The 2008 should have a slightly higher output alternator, if that's important to you (heated gear in mind).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are good tips and I will keep them in mind.

I've never road one (nor has my wife), but the research I've done on this model favours them highly. She is coming from an old 650 Honda Nighthawk that in weight and size, it's about the same. Although her bike is not the smoothest I'm wondering what this will be like on the highway at speed. I know the engine is much more refined than cruiser bikes that are almost designed to shake...hope we can get a decent ride on it to try it out.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Unless she is vertically challenged, the weight, feel, power should be as equal to the older 'chickenhawk (I had the 1984 SC700 Nighthawk.......sweet bike).

·
Registered
532 Posts
You will be pleased at how smooth the V-Strom is at speed. I have approx 20,000 Miles on my 2008 DL 650, most of them at +55mph, very smooth, no buzzing through the grips or pegs. :thumbup: Keep us posted:hurray:

Although her bike is not the smoothest I'm wondering what this will be like on the highway at speed. I know the engine is much more refined than cruiser bikes that are almost designed to shake...hope we can get a decent ride on it to try it out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just picked up an '08 myself and I am really liking this bike. I was skeptical about it's highway manners, being it is <500 lbs. and pretty tall (I came off a FJR) but to my surprise it handles exceptionally will at 70 - 75 MPH on the freeway. I did put a fork brace on it, which took the "wiggle" out, it is not as planted feeling as the FJR, however for a bike that's approx. 200lbs. lighter it works great. Turning is almost effortless, putting a new rear tire on tomorrow, Anakee 2, and I'm sure that will make a huge difference, no that I could ask for anything better, just new tires always seem to bring out the best in a bike!! Well that's my $.02 worth!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hope your wife is tall. It's a great bike but it's not for short people.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hope your wife is tall. It's a great bike but it's not for short people.
But not difficult to shorten. I bought this bike recently for my wife and shortened it a bit with 5/8" lowering links + taking 3/8" off the rubber pads on the saddle. May fine-tune the saddle further with a bit of foam removal.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 650 nighthawk and a Vstrom is a beast in comparison. The weight and the power may be the same, but they are certainly not of the same stature. That said, both are great!:thumbup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
In what area of Ontario are you in? If you are near me and need a second opinion about a bike, I would gladly help you out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow thanks for all of the great suggestions. I had her go to a local shop last night and sit on one before we go and look at the one we want to buy tomorrow....still not sure. She thinks it is a bit tall but she is able to almost get her feet flat to the ground. She does like the luggage, adjustable windshield, colour (lol) and the upright riding position.

Trust me this has been a long process, here are the bikes we have ruled out (her comments :headbang:

1991 750 Nighthawk - too wide and too heavy
Honda Pacific Coast - too hard to find and older than what she wants
2007 Honda Shadow - cruiser bike with too much vibration (no cruiser bikes)
2007 Yamaha FZ6 - too sporty
2010 Honda CBF 600SA - almost good enough but a bit too sporty
2009 Suzuki Gladius - too sporty
2010 Kawasaki Versys - taller yet than a Wee for her
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - too sporty

I keep telling her she is not going to find a bike exactly like her 82 650 Nighthawk. The Wee is 35 pounds lighter and about an inch taller. I have seen some KoubaLink lowering links online locally used for $50 that I think I should try. The bike also has risers that move the bars up and back an inch so maybe that will feel better for her reach. I think dropping it just a bit will make her feel more confident. She is a very good rider and has rode up to a 1600 Kms on a few trips.

We are going tomorrow to have a look at this 2007 model, I can only hope that the guy has some suggestions for lowering as needed. Almost there but I need her to agree that this is the bike for her. :confused:

·
Registered
899 Posts
My wife downsized from a '96 R1100R to this bike. She really likes it. I lowered it an inch for her. The lowering links were bought from ebay.ca from a Quebec company. Less expensive than used. Good quality.

I bought the 5/8" lowering links and slipped the fork tubes up by the same amount to maintain OEM steering geometry. You can lower the front end of an ABS model about 7/8" maximum (clearance). But 5/8" would probably be plenty for your wife if she is already getting her heels down.

I arranged a test ride for her at the local Suzuki dealer before we bought used from Craig's list.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks GlenT. I have been reading this afternoon on here about taking the rubber out from under the seat first, lowering with the dog bones and moving the front fork tubes. It looks fairly straightforward. I think one or all of these combos will provide her some confidence.

Do you remember the company name on Ebay??

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks GlenT. I have been reading this afternoon on here about taking the rubber out from under the seat first, lowering with the dog bones and moving the front fork tubes. It looks fairly straightforward. I think one or all of these combos will provide her some confidence.

Do you remember the company name on Ebay??
SuperMoto36:
http://stores.ebay.ca/supermoto36?_trksid=p4340.l2563

You can easily remove the 4 rectangular rubber blocks from the seat to try it. These blocks have a convenient set of holes about 3/4 of the way up where you can cut them to remove another 3/8" if needed (the blocks are actually meant as vibration isolators, but I don't notice much difference with the blocks cut down).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks for the offer, I live near Carleton Place. The bike is near Toronto
If you are coming down to the Toronto area, I know there was an 09 Wee lowered at Milton Honda. I think you could get a good deal on it. If I remember right, I think they will take around $6500 - $6700 for it. It has the Suzuki bags on it and it's orange.

You might want to give them a call to see if it's still there.

Good luck with the hunt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well we bought a really nice 2007 650 yesterday. The owner wanted a BMW so he was wanting a quick sell. I was not worried at all for the quick sell as it was in great shape and well taken care of.

$4700.00

-19000 kms
-handle bar risers (moves back and up 1 inch)
-Pelican bags and rack
-new tires and brakes very recently
-Mastad windshield bracket
-tank bag
-Suzuki top trunk
-owners manual and service manual on cd

I have some lowering links coming soon and maybe upgrade the seat.
We find we seem to be sitting into the rear seat ridge too much.
Had it out for short run today and I love the amount of power it has. I have a Honda ST1100 so I was impressed by this. Very nice at around 110 kms and turns in the corners very quick.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts