StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding with a group around the Lakes Michigan and Superior. Leaving Illinois Thurs. 5/24/07

No set route but overnighting in

Thurs...Traverscity, MI
Friday...Wawa, ON
Saturday.... Gran Maraias, MN
Sunday....Hancock, MI
Monday.... Back through the balance of the UP, Wisconsin and home to Gurnee.

Should be a great trip just under 40 riders in the group. Riding in smaller bunches, I am the only V-Strom that I know of....

If you have a good road recomendation to hit, I would love to be armed with some suggestions.

or

If any one is local to any of these areas and wants to wander over to say hello, post up and I will reveal where we are staying.

SeeYa
DavidLSI

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Looks like you'll be passing thru my neck of the woods, Sault Ste. Marie, on your way to Wawa.

Since you're already going to be on Highway 17 North, I can't suggest that route, but just to whet your appetite, below are a few snaps that I happened to have in Photobucket...

Batchawana Bay...

Near Pancake Bay...

Alona Bay...

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
around L.M and L.S

I am riding with a group around the Lakes Michigan and Superior. Leaving Illinois Thurs. 5/24/07

No set route but overnighting in

Thurs...Traverscity, MI
Friday...Wawa, ON
Saturday.... Gran Maraias, MN
Sunday....Hancock, MI
Monday.... Back through the balance of the UP, Wisconsin and home to Gurnee.

Should be a great trip just under 40 riders in the group. Riding in smaller bunches, I am the only V-Strom that I know of....
If you have a good road recomendation to hit, I would love to be armed with some suggestions.

I did a similar trip last year from S. Ont. I would suggest going the other way arround. Clockwise around L. Superior, that way you will have the lake on your right side and most of the scenic turnoffs will be right turns, You will not be looking across a lane of traffic to see the lake.
When you are going through Duluth check out the Aerostich Factory.
Great fish(pickerel & whitefish) and chips shops in Grand Maraias.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Two Suggestions

I've done this ride before and have several suggestions. Stop at gooseberry falls state park along the canadian coastline of Lake Superior. It is absolutley beautiful. It is located about 60 miles north east of Daluth MN on route 61. I would also recommend stopping at the aerostitch plant in Daluth. Be patient and persistent about finding it as it is somewhat tricky to get to. Also stop and see the National fresh water fishing hall of fame museum in Hayward Wisconsin on rte 63. The fishing museum has a building shaped like a musky that you walk through. There are also several amethist mines that are cool to stop and see along the lake superior coastline in canada. Stop and get your sweeties some amethist jewelry. On the way down south through Minesota and wisconsin follow the Missisippi river route. There is a pretty nice gentlemens club in redwing minesota just south east of mineapolis along the Missi. river. Further down and also following the Missi. river stop at Brieghtbachs Restuarant in Ball Town Iowa. Ball Town is about 30 miles north west od Dubuque Iowa along the Missi. river. It's a genuine german bar & restaurant and is very biker friendly. Tell mike the owner that you were refered by other bikers and that its your first visit and you'll probably end up with the best free piece of homade pie that you ever had. Saying all this make me want to do this trip all over again. Have a great time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts