StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a sticky situation coming up and need some help.

I got my son a new set of Kuryakin grips for his Stryker and
I'm going to have to redo the glue more so on the clutch lever side.

what are some good options glue wise for this ? :wink2:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've used womens hair spray in the past. Worked like a charm. The cheap stuff is best. It's a lubricant while wet and a glue when dry.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
I use spray cleanser. Once it dries it's fine. I dunno what would happen if I rode in the rain.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I believe some grip suppliers (Oxford) provide superglue with the kit. Last time I purchased superglue was at the dollar store in tiny one use tubes, several to a package.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, All >>> I have used the hair spray on foam grips before and it worked good.
These however are not stock they are custom. Metal outer section with hard rubber
inner. It came with glue but very small amount of a brand I'm not familiar with.

On my Vstrom I just got the foam external grips that install OVER the stock grips
From SV racing parts.

They feel great but getting them over my stock rubber grips was a PITA. So much
so that it broke the seal on my clutch lever side grip. Guess what >>> they are glued onto
the handlebars . So after putting a whole lot of soapy water on there and pushing my guts out
I finally got them seated all the way. They seem to be working fine now.

Reactions: kd70qc

·
Administrator
5,723 Posts
I have always used paint. Point a spraycan (of black) into the grip and spray. Plenty of time to fit and adjust the grip in place before it dries, and wipe off any excess. Leave overnight to dry. Pretty much like Big Boy's hair spray I guess.
Grip glues always dried too quickly for me.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
282 Posts
on dirt bikes I use gasoline and safety wire but for adventure bikes this may not be enough, glue supplied with Oxford grips is too weak, I manage to break it loose so I used regular super glue and it's good.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Best thing I have used is brake cleaner or hogwash. Squirt some in the grip and it slides on like butter. It drys quickly and I’ve never had one move afterwards. I use the same method to remove. Just stick the little plastic tube that comes with the can in between the grip and the bar about a quarter inch and spray. The grip slides right off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
+ 1 on spray paint.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best thing I have used is brake cleaner or hogwash. Squirt some in the grip and it slides on like butter. It drys quickly and I’ve never had one move afterwards. I use the same method to remove. Just stick the little plastic tube that comes with the can in between the grip and the bar about a quarter inch and spray. The grip slides right off.
WARNING : If you use the above ^^^^ method this stuff can damage the paint and plastic parts so be extra
mindfull of this prior to spraying anything with brake cleaner.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I've used:

Hairspray
Carb cleaner
Compressed air
2 part epoxy
Dish soap

All worked well with carb cleaner being the fastest to set up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since I play a bit of golf and change my grips about once a year, so I have golf grip tape on hand all the time. If you put it on the bar, then drip/spray some paint thinner on it, the grips slide right on and can be twisted/adjusted how you want them. Overnight, the paint thinner evaporates you're set.

Just did my heated grips this way, zero issues. Only used one strip of 1" tape, so didn't need to get crazy with it either.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Depends on the type of grips.

Oxford heated grips have a pretty hard inner part, not a soft grippy rubbery substance. In the past I've tried installing them with grip glue, and then more recently with super glue. Both eventually came loose.

On a previous bike I ended up using JB Weld to get them to stay put. When I reinstalled the ones on my last bike, which had previously been installed with super glue, I used Gorilla glue. That stuff sticks to about anything, and expands as it cures, making for a really tight fit.

The other problem with using super glue is actually getting the grip on all the way, in the desired orientation, before the glue starts to grab, which is almost immediate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts