StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am after some local knowledge of the road conditions in the Gloucester Barrington Tops area.There was a member here who provided me with some details, some years ago, of a ride from Gloucester up through Bundook to Nowendoc Have done this ride several times now ,its a cracker.
What i am looking at is a route across Barrington Tops from Rawdon Vale on Moppy Rd, Kholwa Trail ,Barrington Trail ,Middle ridge Trail,Moonan creek Rd to Moonan Flat.I wonder if any one is familiar with this route and could provide me with some feedback on the road conditions and viability .
i have done the run accross on Barrington Tops Forest Rd and i can strongly recommend this ride . Its a cracker too .Thankyou in anticipation
Alan

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Rethink including dodging bushfires.

I've ridden through a couple of firefronts through lack of other options and really I'd suggest avoiding the possibility if you can. Being in an uncertain state as to being alive or dead in the next few seconds isn't pleasant.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i need a rethink then. Don't want to get burnt to death.
Any thoughts on an alternative route coming in off Thunderbolts Way onto Curricabank Rd then carters Rd Tomalla Rd to Moonan Flats.
I have been told Tomalla Rd is steep and very slippery when wet . So only a dry weather ride .
Thanks again
Alan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gloucester - Bundook - Nowendoc

I am after some local knowledge of the road conditions in the Gloucester Barrington Tops area.There was a member here who provided me with some details, some years ago, of a ride from Gloucester up through Bundook to Nowendoc Have done this ride several times now ,its a cracker.
Alan
Alan
Can I ask what route you use between Bundook and Nowendoc?

Thanks
Dr Scotch

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Brackendale is mostly sealed, at least the northern half.
If shooting north from Walcha (towards Uralla), a nicer way than the Thunderbolts' tar is the Oxley west to Walcha Road, then north on the gravel again along the railway via Kentucky onto the NE Hwy.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
An old fav, if gravel's your thing.
https://goo.gl/RCgUGR
Arghh!

Sorry, Gmaps reset the base of the route while adding the Nowendoc bit. That Gloucester River crossing would get more than wet feet:)
That Bulliac West Rd. is a sweet, quiet place though... very pretty sheep+cattle country.
A nice 1-hr return ride back to Gloucester.

Here's the correct link Gloucester-> Bundook-> Nowendoc https://goo.gl/VFwctp

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hmm, looks interesting... Might have to cruise through there, link it up to Nundle, then back to Newcastle via Barry Station, Timor Caves, Glenbawn, Albano Road... 2 day ride...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
...Glenbawn, Albano Road...
Nice !
Rouchel Gap Rd. is another pearler in that area...then Sandy CreekRd.-> dogleg the Hwy to Kayuga and around the back of Castle Rock for a quick neat hookup with the Bylong Vly , bypassing Muswellbrook, Aberdeen, Denman etc. Fuel in Sandy Hollow. About half dirt, half sealed. Very scenic.
Ever tried Sunnyside Lane around Bridgman?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Was through there last year Glitch. They were working on the dirt section. Should be near sealed by now. Think we are talking the same road. Comes out a bit to the left of Sandy Hollow.

Cheers Tom R

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice !
Rouchel Gap Rd. is another pearler in that area...then Sandy CreekRd.-> dogleg the Hwy to Kayuga and around the back of Castle Rock for a quick neat hookup with the Bylong Vly , bypassing Muswellbrook, Aberdeen, Denman etc. Fuel in Sandy Hollow. About half dirt, half sealed. Very scenic.
Ever tried Sunnyside Lane around Bridgman?
No haven't been thru that area, not on the dirt anyway. If it wasn't so hot I'd be out there now...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Was through there last year Glitch. They were working on the dirt section. Should be near sealed by now. Think we are talking the same road. Comes out a bit to the left of Sandy Hollow.

Cheers Tom R
You mean Castle Rock?...yeah, that hits the Wybong Rd. which taps into Sandy Hollow.
Sealed? YUUUCK!! That was just right the way it was a few years back!

No haven't been thru that area, not on the dirt anyway. If it wasn't so hot I'd be out there now...
:)

Bombed twice on Sunnyside and renamed it Muddyside Lane!
It's a laughable 2.5k's or so (western half sealed)....but a good part is 4WD white/yellow clay with lots of dropped foliage/ branches and embedded roots and rocks.
Had a group of 6 dropping like flies, swearing their heads off and fighting the bathtubs of mud and slimy shyte until we gave up ....2. time was just after a few hours of drizzle, no deep mud but too slippery to even walk it!!

It's a cut-across to get you near Singleton and either the coast or Putty/Wollombi/ Howes Trail for a dash south while staying off the main roads.
(or east towards Dungog).
Let's hope they'll never seal that one, too!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Heavy bike plus hard wet clay? No thanks...
Too old for that kind of fun now...

Been through Howes trail a few times in the rain without too much drama...https://youtu.be/1Mu0g2xVfgM
Cross over to the other side of the Putty Road to Commission Road, same day, red clay, no way...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts