StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to lower my 2012 Glee--before I get into any more specifics, I have a quick question: to lower the bike should the new dogbones be longer or shorter than the stock? :confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
to lower the bike should the new dogbones be longer or shorter than the stock?
Longer. For every one mm longer than the stock 140mm, the seat is lowered about 2.8mm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, thanks greywolf--I figured it out; it's counter-intuitive. :headbang: Do I need to use a torque wrench to retighten nuts.bolts?

·
38,048 Posts
You know how educated your arm is better than I do. It's up to you.

·
38,048 Posts
They are locking nuts. One more question before you put your hands on it and you may die.:weapons_75:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
not sure the US spec, but on my Australian delivered model the nut is a "jam nut" (is that the correct term) - i have undo and redo at least 10 times in the last 4 years with my suspension work - never have to lock-tite

·
Registered
67 Posts
lowering your strom ?

could someone please explain the advantages of lowering the v-strom
apart from the obvious ,short people being able to tip-toe terra firma.
do they handle better in the twisties? the trade-off being compromised clearance in the rough stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
i only have a 30inch inseam measuring crotch to bottom of feet. if i shift my bum to get one foot completely flat, the other one is hanging in the air. - i can barely all my toes down both feet. - my bike is effectively raised 5 mm in the front and 15mm in the back - flat footing is fairly over-rated - i lowered mine by 10mm at the rear tyre when i first have the bike. Causes all sorts of clearance issue.

A change of vstrom's attitude, either through lowering the front or raising the rear (or a combination) compare to stock gives better handling - and for pre L2 bikes, -hi speed stability up to a point.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
if you lower, you should lower front and back the same amount. getting the front lower will feel more responsive but it will also be less stable...think sportbike here. many sport bikes need a steering stabilizer because of this maneuverability. tank slappers could become an issue with the lowered front. lowering the back and not the front will slow the steering..not sluggish, but kinda sluggish. lower the bike properly, but will also reduce clearance meaning pay attention to lean angles.

·
38,048 Posts
if you lower, you should lower front and back the same amount. getting the front lower will feel more responsive but it will also be less stable..
That's true for almost all bikes including the Glee. Other Stroms have a fairing aerodynamics problem. The front end lifts at speed like an airplane wing. Lowering the front or raising the rear a little negates the lift and actually increases high speed stability.

Many people wrote about their bikes being more stable with a lower front end and I couldn't believe it. I finally tried it and was convinced. It was only later I figured out it had to be an aerodynamic thing. The Glee is a better air handler. One look down through the forks makes it obvious the ramped plastic at the bottom of the fairing is gone. I can see how that would lift the Wees and Vees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts