StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of being able to garage-store my new 2013 (0 miles) Glee Adventure. I have a huge cover that fits the whole bike, down to about the bottom 6". Any other tips for parking lot storage? In the winter I take her out about 3x's a week, maybe a total of 200 miles per week. Any advice is appreciated. This is (hopefully) a 10-year bike for me and I want to keep it in as good of shape as possible for as long as possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Make sure you tighten down the cover as much as possible. The more flopping around it does, the higher the chances of scratching your paint.

Another thing I do is use spray wax detailer and clean the bike before I put the cover on. The less dirt on the bike, the lower the chance the cover will scratch it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Keep note of wind patterns and position the bike appropriately, the cover will act as a sail and you want to keep the likelihood of tipping the bike over to a minimum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Would a center stand be a bad idea in this instance? Seems like that would make it more likely to blow over.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Depending upon the situation of your parking lot. Take note of the wind. Find a wind break. Shed, short wall, or a base of a light pole. Also as Americans we have developed an affinity for SUVs or larger private vehicles. All of which become parking lot buddies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
While living in Andrews AFB on-base housing in another lifetime, I would bring my brand new BMW R65 into the front door hallway every night. I even put a cookie sheet drip pan under it to keep the ex happy. The R65 was comparable in weight to the DL, so that might be an option for you.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Another thing I do to keep the windscreen from getting scratched is place a t-shirt over it, then put the cover over that. My bike has sat outside during the day at work. We regularly get winds in excess of 20 mph, and it has remained scratch-free so far.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
(on the sidestand), leave it in gear when parked so wind won't be able to move it easily.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get something to put under the kickstand! I use a nice piece of stainless steel plate. Previously I used a electrical junction box cover. And definitely keep it covered. Kids will be drawn to it. Some people will even try and sit on your bike. Kids seem to be clueless and with the lack of proper parenting these days so look out. I've seen this first hand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in the same situation, but haven't really found it to be a problem. The cheap waterproof cover I bought from CycleGear works fine and comes with a bottom cinch strap (which i rarely use anymore).

The bike seems none the worse for wear, but be forewarned; putting a cover on a farkled Strom is akin to putting a knit sweater on a porcupine. :frown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts