StromTrooper banner

Glacier NP (smoky?)

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  2mstone 
#1 ·
I Have plans to ride to Glacier NP in two days....news reports paint a dire picture of dense smoke and charred forests.

We are staying in Kalispell, riding Going to the Sun, St Mary, East Glacier, Nimrod loop back to Kalispell.
I'm hoping someone local can give me some info...
:confused:
What say ye?

#2 ·
Not positive, but hear the park was evacuated. Smoke was bad in Missoula a few days back. 1/4 mile visibility tops. Now its that way even here in Spokane.
I would suggest another plan this trip.

#7 ·
Man, I wish I could get out and tootle around again. Caregiving is a awesome responsibility that really puts a cramp on goofing off.
A friend in Santa Barbara recently put his wife in a home, alzheimer's issue, But it's $5500 a month.
My wife isn't quite to the point of totally not knowing where she is or who she yet and putting here in a home would be very upsetting to her.
Hey, it's what we signed up for at the alter, " In sickness and in Health to death do we part."
Can't very well shove them in a broom closet and run of to Colorado, can we?>:)

#8 ·
Caregiving is a awesome responsibility that really puts a cramp on goofing off.
And you're an awesome person for accepting that responsibility; She is lucky to have you. I had a very small sample of caregiving when my wife had a mysterious illness for two years. She slept 18 to 20 hours every day, I had our bedroom completely darkened and everything in the house padded so as not to make any noise. I am so grateful it was only two years!

I wish I had something better to say...... You have my sympathy...

#12 · (Edited)
I'm getting some reports that fire crews have abandoned Lake McDonald Lodge and it's going to burn, they just lost the Sperry Chalet a few days ago. I would probably stay clear of Glacier about now.

Update, as of now Lake McDonald lodge is safe.

#14 ·
The smoke from the fires in Idaho and Wyoming have actually made their way down to us in New Mexico. I don't think I would want to be any closer. It looks like the Smokey Mountains down here!! Colorado will also be smokey as well. It is more a haze...you can't actually smell the smoke but they do have advisories out if you have breathing problems.

Western wildfires haze hits Albuquerque | KRQE News 13

#15 ·
Thanks guys for your responses. Funny thing is that when the daughter comes for a few days to watch Mom, I go out to the desert with a long time friend who uses a walker and has trouble getting around and sometimes on these get aways he has some medical problems too. I do the handiwork and cooking. Busman's holidays?

Thumper, that web link is handy to see where the views aren't going to be. Sometimes though ya just gotta go.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Road to Mt Evans closed? wonder why?
The lady at the visitors center as we entered Colorado said it had snow at the top...but from Summit lake the road looked clear. My wife and I have been to the top, but the other four hadn't been there. Darn it all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.