Givi windshield OR madstad?

• Madstad Bracket

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am finally sick of the wind buffeting. I rode 600 miles yesterday and I can barely move my neck today from the strain. I know that the Givi windshield gets rave reviews and so does the madstad. I know that they work great together. However, I can only get one. Which way to go, Givi or madstad with stock windshield??

Grey

·
Administrator
17,542 Posts
GIVI.....the stock shield is too narrow and short to be worth a darn. You can't polish a turd, cause it is still a turd. Start with a new shield, and use it as your canvas!!! My 2 cents.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have had my Givi for a year now, and I like it a lot. A lot of people seem to like the Madstad, but I don't know if it is enough for the stock shield. You could always try it, and if still does not do the job for you, add the Givi shield.

But really, the Givi shield is not that much more than the Madstad, and it works for me. There are a lot of squished bugs on it today that did not hit me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice all. I am still not certain though. Does the Givi by its self eliminate wind buffeting? Is the stock sheild still too crappy to do the job even with madstad? I have seriously gone above and beyond my budget and my boss...err..accountant...err..hell you know who I mean...says that this is the last purchase for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
GreyDR, have the Madstad with stock shield and am pretty satisfied with the combo. I did not get nearly as beat up from buffeting as before on a recent LD trip. Of course I will search for perfection in the future and am considering a Givi shield to start with. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the Givi AND the MadStad, 'cause what good is a hobby if you can't spend lots of money on it.

On long highway trips, I move the screen up so the black trim is just below eye level. Around town or on 'back-country rides', I move it down a little or tilt it back.

- Tom

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
The Givi shield helped alot- but didn't completely resolve the buffeting issue for me. I added the Madstad and voila! Made all the difference in the world. I tilt it all the way back and down for around town and backroads- tilted slightly forward from all the way back all the way up for interstate- 85-90 mph indicated. 5'9"/ 30" inseam.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have both and a Laminar touring lip on my DL1000... I like the Laminar lip because I can take off and put in my top case to see pot holes better when I am riding on dirt roads. ... then snap it back on before I go back to the interstate, the I have a Gold Wing ride! I had to replace a couple of the sticker/hooker things but I have never had the Laminar lip blow off... even at triple digits.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
GreyDR, I'm 5'9" w 31" inseam ,
I purchased the Givi Shield & was it a differece on the long hauls. 8)
I still rode w/stocker on for around the town & short hops . But lately w/cooling air temps I have since retired the stock shield . :)
BUT ......(dramatic Pause) I'm going to order the MADSTAD (so I can use the bike earlier next year) :?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I needed both the Givi and the Madstad but the results are worth it. No more headaches and painful shoulders from turbulence, besides, I think the Givi windshield looks cooler than the stock unit.
Some pain remains from having to spend nearly 200 USD to remedy the buffeting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For my 2 cents worth ..

I changed the stock shield for a Givi ... Was certainly an improvement but still not all I expeceted .. Recently bought an MRA Vario Touring Screen and I am very happy with it .... Consequently the Givi screen is in the cellar and will not be going back on my bike again ... Happy to sell on if anyone is willing to make an offer ... [email protected]

Martin Bacon

DL1000 2003

·
Registered
123 Posts
GreyDR,
I am using the Madstad with the stock screen. 5'9", 29"inseam.
It is quite an improvement. Eliminates all buff. in low wind conditions. Definitely worth the bucks. Made the difference between an okay ride and a great ride.
With strong crosswinds the stock windshield is just not big enough.
I made the mistake of getting the Suzi bigger shield. It's increased size helped in x-winds, but it is so flimsy it flaps in the wind.
If you can only get one at present, I'd go for the brackets. But keep in mind, I've not tried the Givi yet.
I will be adding a larger screen soon.
Best,
Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts