StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up my 08 Wee some time next week. I see GivI & SW Motech offer crash bars for this bike. It looks like the Give ones will offer more protection to the side covers. Anyone with first hand knowledge able to offer any opinions? I think I'll end up with the SW Motech skid plate.

John.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
IIt looks like the Give ones will offer more protection to the side covers.
You are falling for the trap of looking at the side of the bike and equating the side on picture to the level of protection.
Crash bars only work when the bike is lying down and the view that is important is the riders eye view of the bars which will show you how far they stick out from the bike not how high they are.
Both those bars perform acceptably on the Strom.

·
Registered
900 Posts
There is lots written about these bars. Search a little before you buy. I have the Givi's, and have not been happy with them. They set up harmonic vibration that buzz the mirrors at highway speeds. At certain RPM, about 5800 it will put your hands to sleep. Some people it doesn't bother, others can't live with it. I'm trying to get used to it. There are several mods out for the problem. just depends on how critical you are about vibration,I guess.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Givi VS SW Motech bars

Well, I have never had the Motech, but I do have Givi I just installed and can't be happier. No vibes or anything negative.

Scott:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is lots written about these bars. Search a little before you buy. I have the Givi's, and have not been happy with them. They set up harmonic vibration that buzz the mirrors at highway speeds. At certain RPM, about 5800 it will put your hands to sleep. Some people it doesn't bother, others can't live with it. I'm trying to get used to it. There are several mods out for the problem. just depends on how critical you are about vibration,I guess.
I get vibrations around 6k RPM as well. It's good for me because it lets me know when I'm going a little too fast. There was another rider on here who devised a "dampener" for them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I went with the Motech because I think they look like they were made to fit the design of the bike. I like the way they blend with the fairing. They're not huge, overpowering contraptions, but they did the job when she decided to take a nap at the gas station one day. I don't off-road her, so I don't know what a real crash would do.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Would a crash at 40mph when a car hit you from the side and forced the bike over provide useful input? That's why I hit so high. The bike slid on the engine guard and passenger footpeg for about 15 feet. I went twice as far. BTW I rode home

The SW-Motech bars are extremely strong. No doubt the Givis would protect in a lower speed crash, but the length of unsupported metal would possibly have seen them deflect and cause more damage. That may not be true but I won't e doing the testing......

I replaced these with another set of Motechs and sold the used ones on eBay for $75.

Reactions: Allagash

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the pictures grandman. I pick up 09 abs tomorrow and I will go with the motech guards after seeing how they perform.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have had both - SW Motech (or clones of them) on my 09, and Givis on my current 05. Looking at the construction of both, I don't know if one has a real advantage over the other. I changed because of price, availability, and to try a different look that went better with the bike (09 was silver, 05 is red). I will say that the Motech clones probably saved my leg in the accident that took out my 09 - the right side bar was bent back about 8 inches where it caught the front bumper of the car that hit me. That was enough to keep my leg from getting pinned between the car and the bike, and instead pushed both me and the bike clear from the car. Likewise, the left side bar took the brunt of the weight of the bike when I went down, keeping if off my leg. Looking at the Givis, I believe they would have done just as well.

As far as vibration goes, I have not noticed any issues with the Givis (I also used a healthy dose of RTV when putting the ends together). I also had no issues at all with the SWMotechs. Personally, I think it's a question of visual preference. Just my .02

Reactions: Allagash

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Motech vs Givi

Guys thanks for the input. It looks like I'll be going with the Motech crash bars since they are readily available from a distributor I've been using for my KLR stuff.

John.

·
Registered
75 Posts
the motech bars are mounted to the large engine mount bolt , the givi bar mount to tiny allen keys
??? One mount of the Motech is to one of the "tiny allen keys" that you mention. IMHO they are not tiny - and the way the Givi is designed the bar will bend, rather than snap the bolts.

I think it probably doesn't make too much difference - crash bars are designed to be expendable really, so you makes your choice and takes your chances.

What I like about the Givi is that it protects the tank finish more in small drops than the Motech - having said that, I don't think the Givi are as strong as the Motech.

The other thing to note is that if you intend fitting a bashplate, your choice of bars may affect what you can fit.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
givi

i bought the sw motech bars because nobody here wants them , the bike shop sold them to me for $100 rather than the $250 asking price . the bike shops cant keep the givis in stock as they are so popular . even the canadian distributer for givi runs out of them

·
Registered
654 Posts
guess I got the old ones gerrr got the crashbars from suzuki with understanding they where Sw ones, and they are but doh did not realize never style wasout doh :furious:

but do note if you want frame sliders these new style prevents that from happening, don't hook to that same engine bolt and covers that said bolt. Also the old ones you could take fairings off without taking off the engine guards unlike the givi ones. Will these prevent that easer faring removial

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my case I would like to use sliders and crash bar. I think I have two options: old style Motech or HB. I like second option.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
guess I got the old ones gerrr got the crashbars from suzuki with understandind they where Sw ones, and thye are but doh did not realize never style out doh :furious:

but do note if you want frame sliders thesenew style prevents that from happaning, dont hooot to that same engine bolt and covers it. Also the old ones you could take farings off without taking off the engine guards unlike the givi ones. Will these prevent that easer faring removial
It took me a few minutes to actually understand what you wrote...but...

I have the Givi bars. I can still take my fairing panels off without removing the crash bars. Was I careful? Yes. Did it take me longer than if I didn't have them on? No.

I doubt you'd have the same issue with the new SW Motech bars...but, I haven't seem then yet on the bike, so I can't be sure as to how close they are to the fairing.

·
Registered
537 Posts
ok here's my .02, i have the H&B bars and took them off since they do not really seem to add much protection. i laid my bike on the lawn over the weekend just to see if they would help. they really didn't make much contact. i then tried laying the bike down with frame sliders and did see a difference there. they supported the bike up off the ground.
i then checked with my givi 36n side cases and well obviously the side bag takes most of it and there would be considerable front end damage.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts