StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For many years I had a Secdem windshield on my Wee and really enjoyed it. It is made in France and I purchased it from a dealer in Quebec. Recently my windshield had an "incident" whereby it was smashed up.

Unable to locate a new Secdem, I went with the popular Givi D260ST shield. First thing I notice is it is considerable taller than my old shield (which I had cut down 2"). The Secdem was also a complex curved shield, it had the normal curvature horizontally, but also a vertical curve. The Give is only curved horizontally.

The huge diff I have noticed is that with the Givi, I get "suction"...my shirt wants to lift type of suction. This did not occur with my old shield.

I have since cut 3" off the top of the Givi (I also use a Madstad bracket, so I can still raise it back up the lost 3"). I just didnt like the look of the tall shield, and on those particular warm days I wanted it to be short.

Out on the road, I would say that the Givi performs well, if not almost as good as the Secdem (buffeting and wind noise wise). With a riding jacket on, I dont really notice the "suction" effect too much. I do believe the Givi was not only taller, but also the bottom of the shield longer in comparison to the Secdem. This combined with the "missing" curvature perhaps contributes to less airflow on the back side of the shield, creating that slight suction effect.

I have included a pic of my bike with the Secdem, and you can see the vertical curve. (note the shield is in its highest pos'n)

Cheers

ps: I have since noted that by tilting the windshield back even 1/4" is enough to open the gap at the bottom of the shield and eliminating the "suction" effect.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
the bottom of the {Givi} shield longer in comparison to the Secdem
This is probably the reason for the suction--no air flow behind the shield.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts