StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my V46 topcase delivered. What's the secret to opening the document holder inside the lid? Been thru the manual a couple of times, all I found was a blub say I could increase the capicity if I removed it.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Just pull, it may be tight but it will open. There is one tab that holds it closed. There isn't that much room under it either, so you won't gain much by removing it. I thought maybe it would be more useful for hiding the extra wires from the add on stop light kit.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. was worried about just ripping it open.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The document case probably sounded like a good idea at some marketing meeting, but I haven't found any useful purpose for it yet. Other than that, I really enjoy the case.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just unscrewed the document holder and removed it. I don't really have a need for it so it's just taking up room. If I ever need it, I'll just screw it back on. Also.....I just removed the reflectors from the V46 and applied retro reflective 3M tape behind them. Now when lights shine onto my case, those red reflectors light up like a blazing fire......or something like that. Anyway....they're bright. If you don't put the reflective tape behind them, then they have absolutely no reflective qualities to them. They're just to look pretty in the daylight. :D

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
BioStrom 650 said:
.....I just removed the reflectors from the V46 and applied retro reflective 3M tape behind them. Now when lights shine onto my case, those red reflectors light up like a blazing fire......or something like that. Anyway....they're bright. If you don't put the reflective tape behind them, then they have absolutely no reflective qualities to them. They're just to look pretty in the daylight. :D
Sounds like a good idea, I might have to do that.

·
Registered
360 Posts
BioStrom 650 said:
Also.....I just removed the reflectors from the V46 and applied retro reflective 3M tape behind them.
What is the process for removing the reflectors? Please share any tips you may have.

Thanks,

·
Registered
100 Posts
V46 reflector removal and 3M reflective tape install

Once you open the inside of the V46 you'll notice 6 screws inside the top of the case, (these 6 screws do not include the ones that hold the red document tray to the inside of the case). There are 2 tiny screws inside near the front middle (near handle of case). The 4 other screws are a little larger and again, inside the top of the case. Remove all 6 screws. After that, you just need to start gently wiggling and prying the pieces apart. Remember, the top of the outside of the case is removable so that it can be replaced with other colors available through Givi. You'll need to remove that part to access all the reflectors. There really is no way to describe that process in writing. It all comes apart fairly easily, it just takes some wiggling here and there. Once you have all the reflectors out, you'll notice that they have removable silver backings behind them. (they're like shiny thin cardboard). These are what you will cover with 3M retro reflective tape. Cover them with your 3M retro reflective tape and trim off the excess tape. Reinstall everything and you're done. ( I'm sorry if these directions are confusing. It's easy to do, but hard to describe.) Basically, take all the screws out of the inside, top of the case, and then yank off the outer replaceable top and the red reflectors. Hope this helps. :D It makes a HUGE difference is the reflective quality of your case/cycle.

H

·
0 Posts
aps45819 said:
Thanks.. was worried about just ripping it open.
How do you like the V46 now that you have had it a while? I am thinking of getting the V46 with the E41 side cases. Did you get side cases also?
Do you have any pictures of the V46 mounted?

Thanks, Hoppy

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
spongebob218 said:
I have the same exact V46/E45/E45 setup on my 650. Its about the widest luggage combo available for the Stroms.
I bought mine thru Moto Adventure. They offer a great discount for member of the Delphi V Strom forum
http://forums.delphiforums.com/vstrom/start. There was only a $1 difference in price between them and the next smaller size.

H

·
0 Posts
aps45819 said:
Hoppy said:
How do you like the V46 now that you have had it a while? I am thinking of getting the V46 with the E41 side cases. Did you get side cases also?
Do you have any pictures of the V46 mounted?

Thanks, Hoppy
I Love the top case, I usually ride with just it and leave the side bags at home. I got the e45 side bags and the bike is 43 inches wide with them on.
pics here http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aps45819/album?.dir=/a1ee&.src=ph&.tok=phNPSxEBrt3PtRex
That really looks sharp. Looks like you could pack everything but the kitchen sink. I like the looks of the E45 bags with the V46 top case. Any reason in particular that you went with the E45 side bags over the E 41's?
My Wee Strom is blue and I'm wondering how close the Givi blue is to the Suzuki Blue? I'll try and find a local dealer and seee if they have the blue in stock to compare.
Thanks for the pics. REALLY looks good.

Hoppy

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hoppy said:
Any reason in particular that you went with the E45 side bags over the E 41's?
$1 difference in the price.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I don't feel as bad then. I've only had mine for 3 weeks without knowing. :lol:

I like the reflective tape idea. I'm going to have to look into doing that one.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've put up with the 'document holder' for almost a year without using. After removing it last week, I really enjoy that extra 1/2" of room. I'm serious--it does make a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
That extra 1/2 inch may be just what I need. Right now, I can't quite fit my XL ARAI and my wife's XS Shark helmets in the V46 at the same time. I just got home from LA and I'm going to take that out and see if it makes the difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts