StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a V46 box on mine too and I was thinking of mounting led's in the middle area (where the lights are currently) and on both sides, maybe as running lights. I tried to get that middle cover off and gave up, hopefully someone will chime in that has done this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Been there, done that.

Has anybody else tried to install a light kit in the Givi V46 top box? How did you pop the top layer of plastic off to get to the 5 rear/center lights?
Don't bother with the Givi kit, the connection is prone to failure (I know from experience!) The bottom connector is spring loaded and eventually the connecting wires break, took me hours to find the problem. The admore lighting solution is much better and easier to install. The only comment I would make is to install the connection on the base of the top box, I installed mine as per the instructions and them promptly destroyed it by hitting it with my boots every time I got on the bike. To remove the top layer of plastic make sure that you have removed all of the screws, then with a small flat bladed screwdriver gently pry the plastic at the point where the centre screw is, you need to lift plastic off the black plastic locking tabs that are in the position indicated by my fat fingers. Once they are free the cover should just roll off.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Don't bother with the Givi kit, the connection is prone to failure (I know from experience!) The bottom connector is spring loaded and eventually the connecting wires break, took me hours to find the problem. The admore lighting solution is much better and easier to install. The only comment I would make is to install the connection on the base of the top box, I installed mine as per the instructions and them promptly destroyed it by hitting it with my boots every time I got on the bike. ...
Creepy. I could have written that verbatim. In fact, for a moment, I thought you were quoting me from another post except I realized the danger soon enough to take corrective action before destroying the Admore connector. I have mine positioned on the bottom close to the location of the Givi original. Quite convenient for frequently moving the box from my Wee to my Helix and back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I haven't had time to finish the top box yet, but I did do the side bags. Basically bought some cuttable LED stips and soldered them together behind the reflectors. I'm going to do the same with the top, and do half for running, half for brakes. Almost finished the wiring, might get it done tomorrow night.
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to take a little break to ride Howlin at the Moon with Arizona Trail Riders this weekend, YEAH!!
I'll try to finish the top box when I get back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I just installed the Admore kit on my 46. Actually, I installed to the connection that hooks the box to the wiring harness. I had the shop do the taps. Everything looks and works great. The only thing I need to modify is the wiring inside the box. Maybe it's just the routing I chose (following the directions) but they are just a tad short and the wires won't tuck in tight along inside of the box. They are vulnerable to getting pulled if I don't pack carefully. No big deal to fix, even for me. Stop, running, and turn lights. Very bright. Me much happy.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
...and the wires won't tuck in tight along inside of the box. They are vulnerable to getting pulled if I don't pack carefully...
Black duct tape = problem solved.

But watch for goo transfer as the tape ages and exposed to high temps.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about that metal duct tape? That stuff seems to hold pretty good (for just holding wires) and holds it's shape pretty good once you bend it. It wouldn't be black, but you'd only see it when the box is open.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I appreciate the advice on how to secure the wires. However, that's not so much the problem as that the wiring harness is too short. The wires can't be mounted tight to the inside of the box. Picture trying to put a 24 inch string tight against the inside wall of a pipe with a 26 inch circumference. Again, no big deal to add a few inches with extra splice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts