StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2012 DL650 that came with, among other things, a Givi V46 top case.

The seller told me he purchased an auxiliary brake light kit but had never hooked it up.

Tonight I was poking around with the box and the box of extras he tossed in with the sale.

I found the wiring hook-up for the connector plate, but no lights. I'm wondering if the previous owner installed the lights, but just never finished the job with the wiring.

Anyone know how I can determine if lights have been installed (without starting to take things apart)?

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I recently picked up a 2012 DL650 that came with, among other things, a Givi V46 top case.

The seller told me he purchased an auxiliary brake light kit but had never hooked it up.

Tonight I was poking around with the box and the box of extras he tossed in with the sale.

I found the wiring hook-up for the connector plate, but no lights. I'm wondering if the previous owner installed the lights, but just never finished the job with the wiring.

Anyone know how I can determine if lights have been installed (without starting to take things apart)?
I have a V46 on my 2012 but have not installed the lights yet. However, I also have a V47 on my 2013 with the light kit. They should be a strip of led's behind each lens with the wiring connections going into the inside of the top box. From inside another wiring cord will need to mount in a drilled hole, then another wiring cord that will run into the tail and tie into the brake light/turn signal harness. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just picked up a 650 with a full set of Givi boxes. Would you wire the connector into the box or on the outside? I'm thinking of the easiest way to hook it up when installing/removing the cases if they're not on all the time.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I just picked up a 650 with a full set of Givi boxes. Would you wire the connector into the box or on the outside? I'm thinking of the easiest way to hook it up when installing/removing the cases if they're not on all the time.
Maybe a little late on this... The Givi lighting kits typically have an electrical adapter that passes through the top box with a twist or screw type lock on the outside, which is mounted through a hole that you must drill in the top box. The Givi directions are very explicit for measuring and where to drill. Just remember... measure 5X and drill once! All lighting and related wiring is secured inside the top box either on the lid or base depending on the model of the box. For instance, my old Givi E52 was wired through the base but my V46 and V47 is all wired through the lid, which is where the lighting is. On the bike side, and usually via the tail light, the wiring is spliced in to the tail light and the other end of the disconnect adapter for the top box, which is then routed up to the box and secured. When you want to remove the top box you simply disconnect the adapter. Hope that helps!

Here's the adapter on my V46:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info! I've been leaving the top box on since I got the bike as it makes taking my lunch to work and any other odds and ends easy to transport. I think wiring up the lighting makes a lot of sense. I'll probably ignore the panniers since those have not been on the bike since I got it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

From the included picture, I am fairly certain that is the light kit from Admore Lighting in Canada. I would recommend going to their site and downloading the installation manual. The light kit should be directly wired into the brake and turn signal lights under the seat. It is a real pain to get to. IMG_2622.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
nope

From the included picture, I am fairly certain that is the light kit from Admore Lighting in Canada. I would recommend going to their site and downloading the installation manual. The light kit should be directly wired into the brake and turn signal lights under the seat. It is a real pain to get to. View attachment 207233

not from that picture - Admore supplied connectors - "Positap" - not those things (plastic terminal strips)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Admore lights on my top box

see photo for what you get - they are great

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
see photo for what you get - they are great

That was supplied by Admore. It is the OEM connector specific for the VSTROM. I do have this installed on my DL1000 and Givi V46...kind of hard to get the phone into the rear of the tail section. My post was more of a direction of where to start, as the Givi kit installs on the base plate and bottom of the luggage. Admore's products are far superior.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I got Posi-Taps with my Admorelighting kit. The instructions worked perfect and the wires were not bad to access in the tail. I also upgraded the tail light to LED while in there. Piece of cake.

Outbackwack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts