StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have recently purchased a Givi Monolock E470. It installed well, looks great but is giving me issues locking and unlocking.
When trying to lock it in the parking lot on three occasions the latch has gotten stuck half way between lock and unlock. I can't get the key out and can't get it back open with out giving a few wacks with my fist. :headbang:
Am I doing something wrong?? Has anyone else had this happen?
I hate to send it back since I already installed the tail light and don't know if they would take it.
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Mine does that every once in a while. I've found jiggling the big release button usually gets it to pop out. Once I had to slip a key under it to pop it out.

Givi USA has excellent customer service. I'll bet if you sent it in, they'd fix it for free. They've sent me free parts when I had problems with no muss or fuss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My bike came with a Givi E46, and operation has been flawless.

Getting a spare key (only came with one) was troublesome and expensive though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mine does this about 40% of the time. Has since new 6 years ago. When this happens I open the lid and force the plastic thing in the latch towards me (I'm standing behind the bike). Voila. Assuming this explanation is no help to you at all, I'll get some pics in the next day or so.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's a weird system. I had problems locking mine for a long time until I figured out how to handle it. The trick is to first push the latching piece as far upward as possible. When it reaches its maximum upward travel, then push it forward. It can easily get hung up if you push it upward and forward at the same time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's a weird system. I had problems locking mine for a long time until I figured out how to handle it. The trick is to first push the latching piece as far upward as possible. When it reaches its maximum upward travel, then push it forward. It can easily get hung up if you push it upward and forward at the same time.
Ditto. Now that I have gotten used to it, I absolutely love the system. But it took me a long time to get used to it, especially when compressing stuff with the lid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help

I actually thought I was crazy and the only one to have this issue. I have been riding everyday and think my problem is part user error and design flaw.
I think one problem comes from the fact that when I get to where I'm going I stuff my jacket in the bike and part of the fabric gets in the overlapping seal of the case. That likely deforms the plastic a bit and causes the latch to close but not enough to allow me to push the button to release it.
The video that was posted should come with every givi bag.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Note of clarification

Just to further clarify. My issue is not that it jams with the lid open. It jams when the lid is closed when I am trying to lock it. That means I can't get to the latch mechanism.
What I'm wondering now is should I call givi and request replacement parts.
Thanks
:confused:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If you pack too much stuff in the bag, the latch can become stuck and VERY difficult to open. That's happened a two times with the side cases, and as a result, I won't try to force the lid shut with the latch. If it won't close easily, I take stuff out and try again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
They usually do this when ridden while the latch isnt shut all the way. There should be a pin in there that may need to be slid over. The entire mechanism can come apart rather easy with a few tools, it wouldnt hurt to grease it if you go in there.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
make sure the key is at 3 o'clock ie level,any variance from that will frustrate,then top tab--bottom latch and key to 6 o'clock,vary from that procedure and you will curse the thing,my top box is my best friend,never leaves the bike.:yesnod:

·
Registered
459 Posts
The lock on one of my Givi top boxes broke about three weeks after I bought it. One of the tumbler pins fell out of the block and jammed the lock, so I removed the barrel and replaced it with a bolt and knob. The catch also used to open of its own accord when hitting big bumps. The other top box catch works very well, but the side case locks and catches (E41) are pretty clunky and I use a strap round the case as well when touring. I prefer a system where you don't have to lock the catches to close the case and I never locked any of my Krauser or Craven panniers in all the years I owned them.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Not sure what the mechanism on your top case looks like but I picked up a Givi E52 topcase a few months ago and was having a heck of a time getting it open. It was truely a two handed affair - one hand to push on the release and the other to keep the bike from falling over.

One day I was looking down into the release mechanism and I decided to shoot some of that wonderful Dupont Multilube stuff (the stuff I use for my chain - original chain with 22,000 miles on it now and still in good shape) into it.

INSTANT difference! I can now lightly push the release with one hand and the case the latch releases.

I don't think Givi lubes any of the mechanisms before they ship the product out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts