StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note for those who did not know. If you grind off the very first high spots on your Give keys, you will be able to remove the key in the unlocked position. This is handy if you need to get into the box while the engine is running and both keys are on the same ring. I for one, am always needing something from the trunk when warming up in the morning. Be it the glasses or scarf, it seems like every time I ride this thing I need to shut it off at least once to get into the trunk. I know it is a security risk but what the hay, as long as you are aware, enjoy.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
No No no!

I'm the only V-Tom around here! ;)

..Tom
Don't worry Tom. No one is going to take your place around here. Now run along so the grown ups can talk. :green_lol:

I often need to get in the box while the bike is running. That's why my keys have one of those quick disconnect rings. I use it all the time. Just ask V-Tom. He once watched me get no farther than 200 yards down the road before I stopped and grabbed my rain jacket back out of the box. Considering I had only put it in there 2 minutes earlier he was thinking I was the most indecisive bastard with whom he'd ever ridden.

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
Don't worry Tom. No one is going to take your place around here. Now run along so the grown ups can talk. :green_lol:

I often need to get in the box while the bike is running. That's why my keys have one of those quick disconnect rings. I use it all the time. Just ask V-Tom. He once watched me get no farther than 200 yards down the road before I stopped and grabbed my rain jacket back out of the box. Considering I had only put it in there 2 minutes earlier he was thinking I was the most indecisive bastard with whom he'd ever ridden.
Not quite THE most, but certainly Hall of Fame material!

I keep my Givi key on my bike key and don;'t have a disconnect. I have learned that if in separate the keys it's only a matter of time before I either lose the Givi key or leave it in a case and it falls out. I'd rather stop and have to shut off the bike.

..Tom

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I have learned that if in separate the keys it's only a matter of time before I either lose the Givi key or leave it in a case and it falls out.
No worries. I've ridden hundreds of miles (multiple times) with those keys hanging out the back of the case. May even be the safer place for me to store them.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just a note for those who did not know. If you grind off the very first high spots on your Give keys, you will be able to remove the key in the unlocked position. This is handy if you need to get into the box while the engine is running and both keys are on the same ring. I for one, am always needing something from the trunk when warming up in the morning. Be it the glasses or scarf, it seems like every time I ride this thing I need to shut it off at least once to get into the trunk. I know it is a security risk but what the hay, as long as you are aware, enjoy.
:confused::confused:
So you remove the keys while in the unlocked position, you start the bike and get your glasses and scarf from the trunk. How do you then lock your trunk? Do you shut off the bike to remove keys to lock trunk and then restart the bike, or ride with the trunk lid open?

My key chain has a push pin to release the ignition key from the rest.

Ken

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
:confused::confused:
So you remove the keys while in the unlocked position, you start the bike and get your glasses and scarf from the trunk. How do you then lock your trunk? Do you shut off the bike to remove keys to lock trunk and then restart the bike, or ride with the trunk lid open?

:confused::confused: Why would you need to lock your case when your on the bike?:biggrinjester: OOPS! I see what you mean now. I beleive he is saying you can close the lid and fasten it without the key, once you remove the little bit he described.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I tried your idea but it did not work. The key still works though!

OP- a picture would be nice:confused:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I guess the OP is going to leave this here to tease us:headbang:. Anyway, I looked at the post again and reading between the lines it occurs to me that you must be able to latch the box with the key mod. Otherwise, why would you not just take the key out leaving it unlatched so you could get into it?:confused:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I guess the OP is going to leave this here to tease us:headbang:. Anyway, I looked at the post again and reading between the lines it occurs to me that you must be able to latch the box with the key mod. Otherwise, why would you not just take the key out leaving it unlatched so you could get into it?:confused:
If I understand what he, and you, are getting at, I think the point is that normally you cannot remove the key from a Givi lock in the unlocked position - you have to turn the key to the locked position, even with the bag unlatched, to get the key out. At that point you can't properly close the latch (if it was open before you removed the key). I'm not sure how much I would trust the Givi latches to stay latched if not locked - they don't seem to have a positive detent or anything that would keep them latched. I dunno, maybe it's not a problem, although presumably Givi designed them that way in the first place for a reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts