StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new guy here. Dig the sight, and I've learned quite a bit just lurking for the past couple weeks.

I just picked up a 2002 DL1000 that I plan on riding cross country this summer. It came with a Givi top case, no identification that I could see but it's pretty huge. I noticed a panel that opens up from the inside of the top of the lid that mentions a top speed of 75mph when the box is on.

So my question is has anybody ever had problems with higher speeds, either with stability or with the case blowing off?
Thanks in advance for any input.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I'm convinced having a top case contributed to a tank slapper that threw me off. It started on a straight stretch of I-80 at a real 109mph. Aerodynamics and weight distribution are both negatively affected.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have not heard of any strom issues and the givi tourpacks causing stability issues nor the loss of any packs. It is something one should be aware of at speeds though, as it could cause stability issues depending on the load. I had heard of a few incidents on the Honda ST’s years ago, and most occur with a top case on, fully loaded, and at high speeds.
I have run 110 MPH with my Givi V45 (?) at short stints, and know it is not as surefooted as it is without it, so the warning inside should be heeded until your comfortable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't imagine my top case coming off the bike at any speed, it's quite solidly mounted. However, I don't doubt greywolf's story one bit. I could definitely see the case catching enough air at high speed (100+ mph) and trying to 'lever' the front wheel off the ground, so to speak. Taking a lot of weight off the front wheel at speed is a good way to induce a tank slapper.

I don't think I've gone much more than 75-85 mph with my case on yet, and I'll be cautious about doing so in the future.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Lots of accessory luggage manufacturers declare maximum speeds due to the aerodynamic instability they introduce. Even BMW stated max 80mph with their own, reasonably aero bags on my K75S.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No problem with my topbox cruising at 90mph on I-10 on my last trip. Speed limit there is 80mph. Had some stints of over 100 earlier in the trip with no problems. Definitely handles better at speed without it though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My personal experience:

Givi E55, 105 mph verified by GPS on a closed road.

Givi E55 and V35 sidecases, 95 mph verified by GPS on a closed road.

Steve

ps... use a steering damper to take care of cross winds and other "stuff" related to steering. Makes a big difference. I swear by Scotts.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hey all, new guy here. Dig the sight, and I've learned quite a bit just lurking for the past couple weeks.

I just picked up a 2002 DL1000 that I plan on riding cross country this summer. It came with a Givi top case, no identification that I could see but it's pretty huge. I noticed a panel that opens up from the inside of the top of the lid that mentions a top speed of 75mph when the box is on.

So my question is has anybody ever had problems with higher speeds, either with stability or with the case blowing off?
After my low side the other day, I decided to pull my top box just to see if the bike handled any different without it. The bike seems more planted to me now. Can't say that it contributed to my low side, but the bike doesn't have the handlebar shake now that it had before removal. I think I will leave it in the shed for the time being.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I am not commuting to work with laptop in my monkey-trunk.... I pop it off and leave it at home when I take my daytrips.

I do 'sense' a bit less stability with the monkey-trunk in place. But I remain cognizant of its presence and ride accordingly.

I believe my tall GIVI windshield also contributes to high-speed instability.

I have to also mention that adding the fork-brace really seemed to "tighten up" the front-end. It is nearly impervious to cross-winds now.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
90+ with all my crap loaded atop the rear seat snugly pulled against the top box. Haven't noticed adverse side wind without the fork brace. Ton-up I don't think I'll be experiencing.
On the GIVI thing, most saddle bag mounts admonish not to exceed 80 mph with the luggage attatched.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input folks. I hadn't considered a steering damper, I may go that route. I do like the Scott's damper on my KTM.
I also hadn't considered going more than about 85 mph or so, but you never know when you may need to pass a truck etc. and look down at the speedo and see big numbers.
I plan on attaching side bags as well, and I'll do some preliminary day trips to get a feel for the whole set up.

·
38,048 Posts
A steering damper would have prevented my tank slapper. I got tossed off in June and ordered one in July. I had it seven months before I even got my new bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
109 mph Greywolf? Wow! :jawdrop: I've only had my Wee do the ton once, briefly, to see how stable she was at that speed. I never felt that she was becoming unstable in a cross-wind or any wind and road conditions. I have Caribou luggage - 32 liter side cases and 34 liter top case. I have Rick's fork brace but no steering damper. Mind you, I only have 2500 miles on this '10 so the steering head is still tight.

While I could stand to lose some weight for health reasons my 220 pound weight and luggage kept the bike firmly planted, even when I experienced 40 mph side gusts. There was some drift within the lane but nothing that I thought could put me in peril.

You guys are making me nervous with your stories of "tank slappers". :yikes:

·
38,048 Posts
One problem seems to be front end lift from the fairing acting like a wing. Dropping the front end on the fork tubes 10-15mm seems to help lower the angle of attack and make the bike more aerodynamically stable.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts

I regularly ride at high speeds with Givi luggage (150+km/h).
My monokey sidecases have held on tight at unsustained speeds up to 260 km/h on my old bike.

I have had a e470 topcase fly off the bike once though. I was traveling between 100 and 140 km/h at the time.
The case was a monolock type which uses a nylon mounting plate; the mounting hook that the case locks onto had failed. The aerodynamic pressure on the case probably greatly contributed to the failure, and as GW pointed out, that sort of resistance high up and far back really lightens the front of the bike.
For what it's worth, the case itself survived admirably (even thoguh two cars played ping-pong with it before it slid onto the side of the road).

I will never again use a topcase that is wider than my body, and I highly recommend you don't either.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Aerodynamically unstable at high speeds

One problem seems to be front end lift from the fairing acting like a wing. Dropping the front end on the fork tubes 10-15mm seems to help lower the angle of attack and make the bike more aerodynamically stable.
It is troubling that I am only now hearing about this potential problem with the Vee/Wee. I might try a little bit of adjustment to the fork tubes but I don't have a lot of room to do this. I have ABS and a fork brace so I am limited to raising the tubes about 5mm, maybe.

·
38,048 Posts
I have ABS and a fork brace so I am limited to raising the tubes about 5mm, maybe.
7mm for a Superbrace and 10mm for others seems to be the maximum for ABS bikes.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I will never again use a topcase that is wider than my body, and I highly recommend you don't either.
Aerodynamics is complicated. I doubt the width of the case was much of a factor. I suspect that its weight and position matter a lot more. Look at the profile of your bike and you'll see that the top case carries its weight behind the rear axle, thus generating upward lift in the front to some extent. Might not matter under 80mph, but when downward force up front becomes marginal, it might matter a great deal. That's undoubtedly why Suzuki specifies a maximum 20 lbs on that shelf.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Aerodynamics is complicated. I doubt the width of the case was much of a factor.
By the way, you can conduct an unscientific BSA (bug splatter analysis) to support this hunch. Ride through a rural area at dusk in spring, and then look at where the bug guts are. I bet you'll find that there are none on your top case, because it probably lives in the dead-air bubble behind your body.

I have an E52, which until recently was the biggest one they make. I'm a fairly small guy (170lbs). I have never cleaned any bugs off my top case -- and far fewer than you'd expect off my Touratech panniers, most of which are in the dead air space behind my legs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts