StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received and installed the new Givi skid plate (oil carter). Without getting myself into trouble, let's just say it stayed on the bike about five minutes. I know this is not the market section, but it will be posted there very soon at a good deal. If you like making things out of beer cans, you might like this product. Can someone who has the SW-Motech skid plate reply with your thoughts on it. I basically want to know if it is well constructed. I probably will never be riding over any trees or anything, but really like to keep the oil filter protected somewhat. On my pre 2012 V Strom, I had a SW-Motech skid plate and it was excellent. I guess I need some reassurance before pulling out the credit card and placing an order.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Interesting lead-in to a sale.

I'll bite: Was metal quality the issue? Poor mounting arrangement? Something else?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Umm sounds like improper install.... I have the sw plate. I doubt its a tree hopper but i have climbed a few curbs hitting it with no issues...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The aluminum is very thin. It is bolted together with little bolts, which is no problem at all. However, the seam where the three pieces bolt together is very uneven. Just looks like it was slapped together is a hurry. Don't get me wrong, many riders will look at it and say nothing is wrong with it. I will admit I am very picky when it comes to my bike. If someone is going to bash it up on a fire trail, then it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have the steel skid plate made by narcosis junky (he is on our preferred list). I have grounded several times (two of them were hard contact) since putting this skid plate on my bike and all that was needed afterwards was a little black paint to cover the scratches. Look into his product, it is well worth it and cost is no worse than what you are looking at.

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 sw motech, i have it on my 2012 now, the only thing is the oil drain hole isn't quite wide enough and when i drained my oil it went half into container and half into sw motech skid plate...doh.

·
Registered
128 Posts
sw motech skid plate and oil change

on that note...any ideas how to fix that? should i shave out some more of the hole or just take off the skid plate for oil changes

·
Registered
255 Posts
on that note...any ideas how to fix that? should i shave out some more of the hole or just take off the skid plate for oil changes
I'd do whatever's easier. But shaving the hole could give you an evenings entertainment if you get bored :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have the SWM skidplate for the Vee. It is OK, I just don't like the way the front section hangs by a couple of small bolts from the coupler that holds the SWM crash bars together. My hwy pegs from Yan (Narcosis Junky) are mounted to the SWM skidplate. When I put my feet up, they make the skidplate feel flimsy. I am very tempted to buy either Yan's steel skidplate or a Scorpion aluminum skidplate from SV Racing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
have a look at B&B bashplates made in australia by a pretty good crowd,
got one on my 2012 dl 650 , works a treat.
they ship overseas I think .
check out their web site.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Any thoughts from folks on the quality of the EnduroGuardian bashplate + highwaypegs setup?

EnduroGuardian

P.S. I'm not trying to sell anything..just wanted to see what folks thought on this "package"

·
Registered
386 Posts
Any thoughts from folks on the quality of the EnduroGuardian bashplate + highwaypegs setup?

I didn't get the highway pegs but the skid plate is top quality. I've "tested" it several times.:thumbup:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm just having a real hard time decided on whether to even buy a skid plate. I mean..yes, I hit the occasional dirt road or two..and yes i KNOW the oil filter is incredibly exposed. But every single skid plate "solution" requires you to have some type of crash bars...and I'm really looking for something cheap...I'm not "planning" to bash anything..just want to protect against pebbles and sticks. But to pay $250 for crash bars..for the express purpose of mounting a $280 skid plate...

I know i know..such is the life of owning a motorcycle...but still there has got to be a cheaper solution to fixing this IMHO design error on Suzuki's part (the exposed oil filter/radiator)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have two options for you Lordneeko. Option one is a B&B off road bashplate. Probably over engineered for what you're after but it connects to the forward cylinder rather than crash bars. The second option is a lightweight cover for the oil filter. Its a hyde engine cover or try searching for 'berley bucket' in the forum. They might suit.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm just having a real hard time decided on whether to even buy a skid plate. I mean..yes, I hit the occasional dirt road or two..and yes i KNOW the oil filter is incredibly exposed. But every single skid plate "solution" requires you to have some type of crash bars...and I'm really looking for something cheap...I'm not "planning" to bash anything..just want to protect against pebbles and sticks. But to pay $250 for crash bars..for the express purpose of mounting a $280 skid plate...

I know i know..such is the life of owning a motorcycle...but still there has got to be a cheaper solution to fixing this IMHO design error on Suzuki's part (the exposed oil filter/radiator)
hyde racing skid plate. It's cheaper and lighter than the steel ones. It also doesn't require crash bars. I'm sure it's not as tough but it works fine for what you want.

edit: I don't know for sure if they have one that fits the '12 model. Mine is on an '06.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
+ 1 on the SW plate. I was two up and loaded down on a week haul when we gassed up and caught the gas station fuel tank filler neck protruding from a rise in the pavement. It lifted the whole machine.
When I returned home I swapped out the hex bolts for flushmount allens, I also used a 1.0" hole saw for my oil plug...going on 7 years now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If anyone wants to see a detailed image of the GIVI skidplate, Oneida Suzuki has since posted a very good image. You can clearly see that the skid plate image does not look like the image GIVI uses. Since I could not get a refund, I ground down the welds a bit. I have a friend that owns a powder coating business. I am going to powder coat it black. If anyone is looking for a lightweight skid plate, I can confirm the GIVI is as light as it gets. One thing I will say on a positive note, it is simple to install and the mounting points are pretty good. Brackets are good, solid pieces of metal. No crashbars needed. It works well with the adventure crash bars with plenty of clearance on everything.

·
Registered
386 Posts
.I'm not "planning" to bash anything..just want to protect against pebbles and sticks.

I wasn't either. Then I did something stupid. (Picture is upside down.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts