StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Québec seems nobody will move off the suggested retail price. I get the impression of take it or leave it. :oops:
So I will be ordering from the U.S.
I am trying to figure out the taxes, and duties for Givi accessories ship to Canada from the U.S. (GIVI Side Cases)
Anybody knows about good place to buy at discount Givi accessories in Canada ???

Anybody knows about the duties in Canada for Givi motorcycle accessories ???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Call the tax man, he will tell you.

Most motorcycle accessories are duty free, only GST and PST, but I am unsure if that is all Accessories, or just those originatinf from USA.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Clicform, you might want to check out Motovan.Com. They are in your province, handle a lot of stuff. I too could not make any headway with Givi or even Kappa luggage as no one would budge from list price at Zuk dealers. I am getting Shad luggage from motovan through a local Yammer dealer. The Shad side cases are 42 L each and come with an extra lock set in case you buy a top case later with an un-matched lock. The Shad are not nearly as dear as the others and I am sure they will be a pleasure to use. Check it out, looking is free.

motovan.com ............. over a 1000 pages in online catalog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The duty free between Canada, the US and Mexico deal only with products produced domesticly within the country of exportation. In other words, ordering European products (including Givi) from the USA will be considered an indirect import from the country of origin (in Givi's case, Italy), and will be subject to a duty.

I have imported a Givi windscreen (D260ST) from Adventure Motostuff online (www.amotostuff.com - good service) and paid an inconsequential duty to my recollection. However I cannot remember the specific amount (or rate) as it was bundled with other products at the time.

I too have been in the market for Givi products (panniers). I have bought the V46 topcase from the local dealer here in Canada, as I receive a "valued customer discount" from the shop that I bought the Strom from. My discount ranges between 10-15% from retail. This discounted amount compares with the USD priced (at todays foreign exchange rates) online retailers of Givi gear (including www.casporttouring.com, www.twistedthrottle.com, and www.amotostuff.com). So, I went with the local distributor to avoid shipping costs.

I recommend, as someone else already has, to check with Canada Customs for the duty rate, and add that to the US$ Givi equipment off of the websites (at a FX rate of 1.15 - ballpark). I would not be surprised if you get close to full retail CN$. If it is cheaper, order away on line. Keep in mind, you will pay a small brokerage fee as well for Canadian Customs, shipping, PST, and GST.

Good luck,adn let us know how it turns out.

O.T. Vancouver, BC
91 Suzuki VX800
05 Strom 1K

·
Registered
14 Posts
Night_Wolf,

Kappa luggage (OEM) for the Strom is actually MORE expensive for than the Givi. I checked that first when I picked up the bike. Now, if you get generic Kappa, that may be less expensive. However, the racks for the Strom are unusually expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I priced out Givi and Kappa, the Kappa was 2 bucks more. Priced out Shad luggage and ordered it. Quite a difference in price overall. No extra lock sets to buy as the side cases come with an extra set in case you get a top case or manage to break a lock set somehow.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Generic Kappa will work with Givi racks and there is no way I would buy the Kappa produced Suzuki branded bags. :shock: Kappa wasn't much cheaper last year either & finding a dealer locally was a PITA so I ended up with the Givi E360 & E450 Top case. Price isn't an issue as I plan on keeping the bike for a while and amoratizing them over the life of the bike means they'll be cheap in the long run

O.T. said:
Night_Wolf,

Kappa luggage (OEM) for the Strom is actually MORE expensive for than the Givi. I checked that first when I picked up the bike. Now, if you get generic Kappa, that may be less expensive. However, the racks for the Strom are unusually expensive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
clicform said:
In Québec seems nobody will move off the suggested retail price. I get the impression of take it or leave it. :oops:
So I will be ordering from the U.S.
I am trying to figure out the taxes, and duties for Givi accessories ship to Canada from the U.S. (GIVI Side Cases)
Anybody knows about good place to buy at discount Givi accessories in Canada ???

Anybody knows about the duties in Canada for Givi motorcycle accessories ???

There's a way to order from the states without paying tax, if you need more info, message me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks Water Warrior for the tip on Shad top cases from Motovan. If your set has arrived, can you let us know your thoughts on them. I noticed all top cases aside from the new SH48 have rack mounting plates and hardware supplied. Can anyone with Shad cases comment on this mounting system? Is the top case easily removed, the ad does not address this. The reason I bring this up is the latest design Shad top case has an all new tubular attachment system that they claim is strong, convienient and safe. Did anyone think the other system was inadequate? They are also custom designed for each bike.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Still waiting for the side cases and mounting racks. The top case is at the dealer where I ordered and can stay there until everything is in. I could put the top case on now but would just have to remove it and it's mounting plate to start over with the side racks install. The 650 side racks do come with their own signal lites and the stockers have to be removed, at least that is what I have read elsewhere. I think I will just try to reposition the stockers and use the Shad signals for tail lites or something. The top case is a 46 and the side cases are the 42's that come as a pair only. According to Shad the side cases come with matching locks and a third lock for use if you get a top case and want one key for all 3 cases. The side cases also have a mounting plate so you can use one as a top case only. The top case also comes with a mounting plate. The spare mounting plate could be put on another bike.
I did get directed to Shad by Cracs and I thank him big time. He has the side cases on his 650 and they look good and leave good foot room for a passenger.
A lot of Shad info can be read and pics viewed on the other popular Strom forum under luggage. I lurk their on occassion. Looking forward to getting it all together if the side cases arrive before a planned trip. If not I have 4 doors and a really big trunk to pack at my leisure.
Hope this helps a little. Motovan.com is the Can. distributor and their is a U.S. distributer listed on the other forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Shad 37 installed on my 650, while my son has a Shad 42 on his.
Both cases come with a rack that you mount to the exixting luggage rack. The cases can then be removed and remounted easily. The 37 is nice but is capable of holding only one full face helmet. The 42 will just fit 2 medium full face helmets. I ordered the 37 with the gloss black cover to match the black on my bike. It matches up pretty good. My son ordered the 42 with out the extra cover and the flat black looks fine in a rugged sort of way. We both have GIVI side racks with E21 side cases. It is a pretty good setup, in my opinion. I feel that the combination of the SH42 with the E21's gives enough storage without being too wide on the bike. If I was to make a choice between the 37 or 42 I would go for the 42 and get the extra size. The cost for the topcases was about 200 for both as i paid extra for the colour matching top.
I will include a couple pics so you can see them on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Oh Goodie For Me

Just got back from my local Yamaha dealer with the Shad 46 top case and all the hardware for mounting all three cases. The side cases are still in never never land. The hardware looks pretty sturdy and the finish is a nice black paint. The top cross piece(read heavy duty)mounts exactly or very close to where the stock signals mount so this is why the side racks have their own signals attached. The signals are 10 watt with a reflector inside. I think I will try to relocate the stockers with the LED's in them.
Spent a few minutes playing with the top case and I like it. It locks to the mounting plate solidly and unlocks with no fuss. A real bonus here. You don't need to lock the top case when you close it. Makes for easier access when you stop for a while. The Kappa 28 presently in use is a key always type of affair and a bloody nuisance to open and close. On the Shad just push down to close and it latches nicely. There is a fairly decent carry handle built in with the locking mechanism and it all fits flush with the lines of the case. All in all, pretty impressed so far. Actual use with all three cases should be good.
Before I left the dealer I paid for everything and was pretty happy to do so. The price difference between Givi or Kappa luggage was almost enough to justify my gel seat and Givi engine bars. In a twisted sort of logic those two farkles only cost me about 75 bucks for both. Did I say I was happy ? Can't wait for the side cases to arrive. Farkle On.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have completed my homework and ordered the Shad 46 top case. A local shop ordered them at a 10% discount. I chose the unpainted style because my bike is red and that was not a lid colour offered by Shad. I am hoping they will offer red in the future and I will get the lid then. The price of the SH 42 is $80 cheaper and only slightly smaller in size, but more importantly the 46 offers many more features not available to the 42 like a plastic rack to cover the mounting plate when not using the top case. It also has snap shut closure and colour keyed lids.
I am not getting saddlebags because in the past I rarely used them to capacity. My last bike was a F650GS with the Beemer expandable side cases, and for me they were overkill. Only one time did I fill them to capacity and that was when my wife rode with me on a 10 day vacation.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Fearless

Have a Sh46 sleeping in my living room right now. Have all the side racks and mounting plate to install. After looking at the instructions(translated of course)and looking at all the hardware I am not looking forward to the puzzle factor. Probably hate myself half way through the install. No, sooner and I am being optimistic at this time.
Anyway, you will really like the SH46, it is a nice piece and should serve you well. Don't believe the red reflector on the rear of the case will do you any good. Shine a flashlite on it in the dark and it just plays dead. Easy to fix though. 3M stuff...................Farkle On.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So water warrior, what's the latest on your side-cases? I'm interested because I'm leaning towards the SHAD setup myself. I'm curious to see if you run into any problems before I place my order.
Do you feel pressured :)

Al

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Side cases are suppose to be here tomorrow. With a little luck maybe. When, not if I get it all together I will be posting a rant. Don't your cancel plans to order just yet though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts