StromTrooper banner

Givi Shield Question

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Traveler 
#1 ·
Hello gang,

I just installed my new Madstad and Givi shield (and some grip heaters!) yesterday. Man, that Givi is TALL compared to the stocker. Should be great weather protection, though. I haven't had a chance to test-ride yet.

With the shield being so tall, I can't seem to angle it back without the mirrors hitting the shield near full lock. Do others have that problem? At what angle do have yours?

I thought the whole benefit of the Madstad was being able to angle the shield back, and I'm afraid I won't be able to solve my noise/buffetting issues.

#2 ·
That sounds like a massive big shield. There's three levels for the stock shield, so maybe you can adjust the height of the madstad on the front fairing. The trick to not to block the wind, but get it to flow smoothly around your body. Take her for a test ride and you might find you don't need to tilt it so far back.

I'm 5'10" and use the madstad with the stock shield. There's no serious buffeting or wind noise with it set to the correct angle. Here are a couple pictures of my settings. Take some time and try it with the stock shield and then swap out with the Givi.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bobosmite/MotorcyclePics/photo#5013383357164057346
http://picasaweb.google.com/bobosmite/MotorcyclePics/photo#5013383460243272466

I think aftermarket shields are designed to work best with stock hardware, so they are a bit larger than they really need to be. The madstad is designed with the stock shield in mind, so it might work better with the stock shield. That's just a theory.

As far as wind noise: re-useable ear plugs do the trick!

#3 ·
I use the Givi with Madstad bracket. The Madstad is mounted to mid position. The shield is raised about half way and tilted somewhere around half as well. I did lots of experimenting and found this the best as I can see over the shield. Up to 60 (indicated) it is very nice and no wind noise. Above 60 to 85+ on the freeway I have some wind but no buffering. I am 5'11" with 32 inseam. Cross winds will always be there.

#4 ·
With the shield being so tall, I can't seem to angle it back without the mirrors hitting the shield near full lock. Do others have that problem? At what angle do have yours?
I have the Givi with MadStadd brackets and love the setup. I had to loosen the mirror stems and rotate them back a little bit to keep the mirrors from hitting the screen. If that's not enough, you can rotate the whole handlebar back slightly.

I have GenMar 'up and back' risers, which also moves the mirrors back slightly.

At any rate, I have the Givi almost fully angled back and, at full lock the mirrors just barely touch the shield.

- Tom

#5 ·
I managed to get the mirrors adjust so that I have some angle on the new Givi shield. I must say that this setup is much quieter than stock.
The top of the shield does seem to be right at eye level, though. Kind of looking half over/half through the shield at the same time. If I use good posture and keep my back straight, I'm more looking over than through. But when I get lazy and slouch, it's half and half.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.