StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shattered the Givi windscreen on my05 DL1000 in a fall. I bought the bike used and have been out test riding it. The Givi screen came with it when I bought it so I am not sure if the adjustable brackets are stock or part of the Givi package. I did a search for "Givi windscreen replacements" and keep coming up with $180 screens, which surely has to include the hardware. I can't believe a friggin piece of plastic could cost that much. :furious:

Does anyone know a source for just the windscreen? I'll be in Texas through next week.

Damn and I have a Texas hill country ride this weekend. I can't believe I did this three days prior to the ride. :headbang:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A picture is worth 1000 words to know if you have the $250.00 Givi Adjustable screen or a $100.00 Givi Screen with a Mastad bracket.
I am not sure what the Mastad bracket is. The screen is adjustable for and aft about one inch and up and down about three inches. I don't know if that bracket is stock or part of the Givi.

I'll stop by the dealership tomorrow to look at a new Strom and see what the windscreen mount looks like.

Jay, I didn't even think of ebay. I am too damn angry with myself right now for dropping it. Thanks also for the link.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am not sure what the Mastad bracket is. The screen is adjustable for and aft about one inch and up and down about three inches. I don't know if that bracket is stock or part of the Givi.

I'll stop by the dealership tomorrow to look at a new Strom and see what the windscreen mount looks like.

Jay, I didn't even think of ebay. I am too damn angry with myself right now for dropping it. Thanks also for the link.
Sounds like you have a Madstad bracket. I am currently in the same boat as you; trying to justify spending $150 for a piece of plastic.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's it; the Madstad brackets. It had a Givi one piece windscreen on it, which is now about a six piece screen. But it's good news that the Mastad will take a variety of screens. I'll check with the local dealership today, only because I'd like to have one my upcoming three day ride. If not, I'll "tough it out" :mrgreen: this weekend like I did for years riding my vintage bikes and order one on line from one of the links you gents suggested. It's kind of funny how one gets used to a good windscreen. It's hard to go back.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There is also something called overnight shipping. Call Pat Walsh,Twisted Throttle or Amotostuff, they are masters at dealing with last minute issues.

I bought my bike on a Saturday, Decided on Monday to do a loop of the Trans Lab highway and left Thursday Morning. I was kind of in the same boat.

I started with basically a stock bike and left with crash bars, top box, accessory plug .. etc.

You may be able to get something that Parts Unlimited carries (a.k.a. Dennis Kirk) from your dealer the next day. I got a set of TKC's for my TL trip that way. Of course I paid full retail price for them.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
That's it; the Madstad brackets. It had a Givi one piece windscreen on it, which is now about a six piece screen. But it's good news that the Mastad will take a variety of screens. I'll check with the local dealership today, only because I'd like to have one my upcoming three day ride. If not, I'll "tough it out" :mrgreen: this weekend like I did for years riding my vintage bikes and order one on line from one of the links you gents suggested. It's kind of funny how one gets used to a good windscreen. It's hard to go back.

I appreciate the help.
How far away from Seattle are you?

If close by and you can't get one sent to you by this weekend, let me know. I can always throw my stock screen back on my bike and loan you my Givi screen for your trip.

·
Registered
237 Posts
CalSci/Madstad

Eh, if he breaks this one it'll just give me a chance to ask the wife to let me try out a CalSci screen. :biggrinjester:
I just received my CalSci shield and mounted it on a Madstad bracket. What a difference! There were 20-30 MPH winds yesterday and I was able to go 100MPH on the interstate with minimal buffeting. Just a slight bit when I was headed into the wind.

Before this set up, I was almost going to sell the bike with only 500 miles on it because the buffeting was so bad.

CalSci is a great shield with the MadStad. I have not tried it on the stock mount yet so I can't comment on that, but I can't see it being any better.

The shield is optically correct as claimed. It arrived 2 days after I ordered it, great support and a simple transaction. Worth every penny.

Now I can move on to other equipment.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found the screen/model number on Twisted Throttle and it is on order. The dealership gave me essentially the same price. I've gotten a number of things on TT, to inlcude my Givi bags.

What I also found on TT is a whole bunch of other good stuff for the VStroms. I'll peruse the site when I get home next week and have it shipped to San Antonio. I'll be riding it back north at the end of the month.

I rode my Strom for about 50 miles at speeds up to 80MPH without the screen and it really isn't bad. It will be fine for this weekend ride but I'll definitely want the screen for my ride home. I'll post a few pics from the Hill Country ride when I get home. It will be mostly Rocket 3s but some might be interested. Perhaps I'll take some pictures over my shoulder of the Rockets trying to keep up with me in the twisties. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LowandSilent, I neglected to thank you for your very kind offfer. I live over on the Kitsap side about two miles from the Southworth ferry landing just off of Sedgewick Road.

As an update, something very strange has happened. I ordered the Givi screen from Twisted Throttle and had it sent to San Antonio. I arrived late last night and mounted the screen the first thing this morning. The Madstad brackets now no longer allign properly. The brackets that mount to the screen are supposed to go on the outside of the lower brackets, as they did with the old screen. No matter how many things I try, such as leaving all the screws loose until alligned, they will only go inside the support brackets. I believe Givi drilled the holes about 1/32 to 1/16inch off. It seems that the simple solution is to take a Dremmel cutter to the screen, which I will do when I arrive home. Hopefully one of our members in the Seattle/Kitsap Peninsula area has a similar setup that I can look at before making the decision to route out the holes.

For now I have the screen brackets firmly affixed to the support brackets. It doesn't allow for any adjustment this way but the position is fine for the 2500 mile ride home. I depart on Sunday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just shattered my Givi this past w/e too. In the garage of all places. I won't buy another one. Nice looking screen but I'll be looking for something more durable made out of polycarbonate.

Good luck on your trip Navigator.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just shattered my Givi this past w/e too. In the garage of all places. I won't buy another one. Nice looking screen but I'll be looking for something more durable made out of polycarbonate.

Good luck on your trip Navigator.
Thanks cap. It really isn't the best of screens. It is pretty thin but the hight is perfect. As I was mounting it today I read the sticky labels that said "Under no circumstances exceed 100KPH." That's about 78MPH. Whoops, I hit 100MPH with the last one. This will get me home and I'll start looking for a better screen. I had a great two piece adjustable screen on my 1150GS but can't for the life of me recall what make it was. I'llthink of it and do some research to see if they make one for the Strom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts