StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all I'm wanting to add side bags and am thinking about using the givi racks. I;ve seen in other threads that some use the 528 and some 532 can anybody tell me the difference??? I want to use the peligan bags so does this make a difference?? Because I have a vee I will probably want to add the storage tube to where the gap is for the extra exhaust.

Thanks Bill

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
528 is the top rack. 532 is the sideracks, which is what you need if you want to use Pelicans for side cases. 532PLX are the new curved sideracks that fit only the Givi PLX cases like the V35.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply... I realized about the 528 being a top rack after typing it in. Can you tell me if both have the space for the storage tube??

thanks Bill

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Look at the SW Motech racks....you can mount "anything" to these racks and they are quick release if you don't want them on the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GIVI Top plate

Hey folks, I have a GIVI top plate and side racks fitted to my 2002 Vee. Top box is a V46 with a back rest fitted. Problem is there is very little room between my girlfriend and I, and she's complaining about not being able to see anything other than my back. Has anyone had a similar problem modified the rack? I reckon the mounting plates could be altered to give a little more clearance and a narrower backrest would help. Any thoughts?:confused2:

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Hey folks, I have a GIVI top plate and side racks fitted to my 2002 Vee. Top box is a V46 with a back rest fitted. Problem is there is very little room between my girlfriend and I, and she's complaining about not being able to see anything other than my back. Has anyone had a similar problem modified the rack? I reckon the mounting plates could be altered to give a little more clearance and a narrower backrest would help. Any thoughts?:confused2:
If you have the 528 mount kit you can reverse the front bracket so it angles back instead of forward, which gains you an inch or two. Otherwise you can try the Amotostuff adjustable mount, which slides back and forth. If your gf is wearing a jacket with back protection, you don't need the backrest on the case, and that will save some space too.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Look at the SW Motech racks....you can mount "anything" to these racks and they are quick release if you don't want them on the bike.
What BB said......I have the SWs' and think that they're the only way to go.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you have the 528 mount kit you can reverse the front bracket so it angles back instead of forward, which gains you an inch or two. Otherwise you can try the Amotostuff adjustable mount, which slides back and forth. If your gf is wearing a jacket with back protection, you don't need the backrest on the case, and that will save some space too.
Twisted Throttle claims a 3/4 inch gain. Others mentioned the backrest being a waste if your passanger is wearing a jacket with back guard or padding.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have and like the AMS topcase mount. It's nice to be able to adjust where you want it.

I agree on not using the back rest pad on a Givi top case, it's too darn big and really not all that soft anyway.

You can put a 4" sewer pipe on the left side with the Givi racks, plenty of room and 3 good spots to attatch clamps for mounting.

The SWM racks are nice but IMHO they stick out way farther than needed. The Givi's (I have the non-form fitting ones) fit much closer into the bike.

I took the SWM's off and bought Givi's as the bike was just too wide and I never took the cases off anyway.

Having said that to me it would seem easier to mount Pelicans to the SWM racks as they have a ton more mounting area, i.e. places to drill holes, than the Givi's. I'd be leary of drilling into the Givi racks as they're pretty thin tubing.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The SWM racks are nice but IMHO they stick out way farther than needed. The Givi's (I have the non-form fitting ones) fit much closer into the bike.

I took the SWM's off and bought Givi's as the bike was just too wide and I never took the cases off anyway.

Having said that to me it would seem easier to mount Pelicans to the SWM racks as they have a ton more mounting area, i.e. places to drill holes, than the Givi's. I'd be leary of drilling into the Givi racks as they're pretty thin tubing.
The width is why I chose the Givi racks over the SWM. I'm going to mount my Pelicans to the racks using the mount kit from Happy Trails (due to arrive today!), so there's no need to drill into the racks, and I can still remove the cases quickly when I want.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The width is why I chose the Givi racks over the SWM. I'm going to mount my Pelicans to the racks using the mount kit from Happy Trails (due to arrive today!), so there's no need to drill into the racks, and I can still remove the cases quickly when I want.
I must have missed the availability of those mounts for the Givi's. Sounds good to me!!

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Which size tubes do the Givi racks use, it looks like they have two kits one for 5/8's and another for 3/4".

$50 isn't too bad for the kit, If I rumaged through the parts bins at Lowes I'd probably spend that to duplicate them.

thanks

rjsurfer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts