StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been looking at the Givi PL3101 pannier racks and the Kappa 33 litre panniers which look to be one of the narrowest set ups i can find.The racks look quite neat ? but just wondered if anybody might have any other suggestions before i go ahead and buy,are there any racks made that can be taken off quickly when not in use.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The Givi PLR3101 is a rapid release mount. I have no personal experience with it. I have the SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Sidecarrier (Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, '12-) Evo Style for Givi, TraX ALU-BOX, & Krauser sidecases. One of the mount connections does not line up properly. I had to elongate a hole on one of the tabs and extend a spacer to get it to fit. With that done, the quick release system works well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pat, I got on twistedthrottle.com to look for side racks for my GIVI (E36) bags. Didn't see any GIVI, only the SW-Mototech ones you mentioned. I noticed the new racks had 4 attachment points at each corner (plus the top lock lock, I assume) on each rectangular piece rather than the two at the bottom corners plus top lock on the racks on my 2007 Wee.

There was a "hard bolt kit" for $50 and a GIVI/Kappa Monokey something for $26. What is the former for and is the latter what converts the four corner attachment system to the bottom two attachment system on my present bags?

Man they are expensive-$360! Does anyone know if GIVI is making racks for the GLEE yet?

TIA Ian, Iowa

·
38,048 Posts
The SW-M just moved the top front connection to the passenger footpeg area for the Glee so both front connections are down low at the top and bottom of the passenger footpeg hanger.

The hard bolt kit replaces the quick locks and the $26 kit provides the hangers for the racks specific to Givi Monokey luggage. There are kits for several luggage manufacturers.

Givi has two racks, one permanent and one removable.
Givi PLR3101 side case Fitment Kit for the 2012 -2013 Suzuki DL650 - Suzuki V-Strom 650. - Sport Tour Ltd.
Givi PL3101 side case Fitment Kit for the 2012 - 2013 Suzuki DL650 - Suzuki V-Strom 650. - Sport Tour Ltd.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Man they are expensive-$360! Does anyone know if GIVI is making racks for the GLEE yet?

TIA Ian, Iowa
Givi makes 2 different side mount racks; one is solid mount and one is quick release. I have the solid mount rack on my Gladventure and it works great.

I also have the top mount plate for Givi. It works fine, but is not nearly as solid as the top rack on my 2007 Wee. The luggage rack is plastic and allows the top case to have a lot of movement. Not Givi's fault with the mounting plate, but a weaker design on Suzuki's part. I am hoping someone will come out with a replacement passenger grab handle/top rack made out of steel or aluminum that is reinforced so I feel better about carrying my laptop on it:yikes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you are looking for the "most narrow" set up, you may want to look at Happy Trails. I installed the Happy Trails racks and side cases. The right side rack has about a business card thickness between the rack and the exhaust guard. That is about as close as it gets.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the PLR3101 removable racks on my Glee. I like them a lot even though I have never removed them. I'd get them again in a minute........TD

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are looking for the "most narrow" set up, you may want to look at Happy Trails. I installed the Happy Trails racks and side cases. The right side rack has about a business card thickness between the rack and the exhaust guard. That is about as close as it gets.
I have looked into the Happy Trails racks and panniers. Which ones did you get? Are you satisfied? Can you post some pics? Thanks, Samuel

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the PLR3101

I purchased my GIVI E47 top box, and the GIVI 33/46 un-equal side combo to provide symmetric outer dimensions. I purchased the set from SportTour.com in Cincinnati, Ohio. One benefit to getting them all together is that there are now kits so one key fits all (the kit is required for the E47 because the keyed-alike cylinder is longer).

Unlike the previous poster, I ride most of the time with just the top box, and the side racks and luggage off the bike in the garage, ready for those longer trips.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have the Givi 33 sidecases and 46 top on my wish list at Revzilla, but have yet to find the PL3101 mounting hardware. Could not find where Revzilla list them or anyone for that matter. The GiviUSA site doesn't seem to sell anything other that describing their product. I believe Revzilla sells them because they describe the product on their video. Will keep looking. Waiting for my Richland brace and new riding boots to arrive!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I bought the Kappa equivalent (model KL3101)of the Givi side racks from 2nd Gear(on Ebay), which is a company located in Canada. Kappa is a sister company of Givi...the products are essentially the same, just labeled differently. 2nd Gear has very reasonable prices and quick shipping. Not affiliated with them at all, just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I have the Givi 33 sidecases and 46 top on my wish list at Revzilla, but have yet to find the PL3101 mounting hardware. Could not find where Revzilla list them or anyone for that matter. The GiviUSA site doesn't seem to sell anything other that describing their product. I believe Revzilla sells them because they describe the product on their video. Will keep looking. Waiting for my Richland brace and new riding boots to arrive!
See post #4 in this thread. Pat posted the links to sporttour.com. The bonus? Free shipping on all Givi products.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I see that now. Neglected to click on the link GW supplied. Maybe going that route soon. Just have to decide on what luggage? Of course save a little money as well. Going for a snowmobile ride now with some friends. Here is a link to my last ride Snowmobile - YouTube. I'm on the red machine with the white helmet.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Ordering the PL3101 side racks and the SR3101 topcase monokey rack through Sport Tour. Thanks for the great advise on vendors. Helps me make sound purchases. BTW, it sounds like many troopers like this rack system. Does anyone have any failure experiences with the 3 point system having bags fall off? Primarily tarmac riding with graded gravel roads. Others seem to prefer the SW-Motech. All the Motech product I have purchased is of very good quality. Any feedback on the GIVI rack system would be welcome.

·
38,048 Posts
I crashed my '05 Wee at over 100mph and the Givi bag mounts were fine. In fact, replacing the 3 bag lids made them like new too.

·
Registered
611 Posts
+1 on Sport Tour. I bought my Givi cases, racks and windshield from them last year. Great prices and excellent customer service.

Not affiliated with them either....just a satisfied customer. :thumbup:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well GW, it is hard to argue with a testimony like that. Wahoo, good to hear you are another satisfied customer for Sport Tour. I am hoping to match my luggage system to the color scheme of the bike. The E36 and E45 hard bags (panniers & topcase respectively) are hard to argue with in terms of value and durability. Only concern is covering up the "Red" stripe over the front of the cases. Would prefer to make them white with either tape or paint. May also get a set of E21s for around town and commuting. The time has come to make a decision. Riding season is weeks away. My EB order will be here after I get back from Moab next month. Hoping the bike will be ready for anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts