StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
just got these racks and wonder what for is that exhaust part there, like a extension for the pipe,
is it necessary really? no problem with vibration later on etc?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Are you referring to the item #15 on drawing D of installation instructions, http://files.twistedthrottle.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Installation Instructions/Givi/PL3112.pdf? To me, it appears to be an exhaust heat deflector. Whether you can leave it off, would be up to you. Imagine your bike idling for extended periods loaded with your luggage. My guess that there would be a certain amount of heat emitted from the exhaust. How much of that heat will reach your luggage, is something you can perhaps test for yourself. Maybe I'm wrong... Will it rattle? I guess that will depend on how it is installed. Certainly not enough info in the instructions on the subject.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, probably you're right, it will be heat deflector. not sure if all cases need that, I have trekker 2x33 boxes.
Something to test it, other possibility to glue some metal shield under the case.
thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi Offnote -
Looks like that part is a tailpipe extension to move exhaust gas (as well as heat and oil/carbon/soot) away from end of muffler (and your sidecase). It appears to be supported by the Givi rack. Would want to see how that fit against muffler and maybe use a silicone washer (you could make one out of kitchen utensil) to eliminate a vibration point.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I tested it, rode 30 miles and my side case is not even warm so I guess this part is not needed for givi trekkers,

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I don't think that riding will give the same heat issue on the luggage, as exhaust heat when stationary while idling for extended periods. Could be that Givi is making allowance for any possible chance of damage to soft luggage and / or bigger luggage. I suggest that you should test by letting your bike idle for a few minutes, once at full operating temp, for any heat transfer from the exhaust to the cases. If no heat transfer, then the exhaust extension may not be required for your current cases. However, if you should ever change your luggage to bigger cases or soft luggage, I think it prudent to re-test for heat transfer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts