StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Givi E528 rack on my DL650K6. The cover (for lack of a better term) is warped upward. It gets even worse in direct sunlight. Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do to resolve it? I know I'm being picky here, but that's why I paid a lot of money for the Givi pieces.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I think when I got mine 2yrs ago it was warped also but flattened out after a while. I don't see mine anyway because I just about never take my top box off.

·
Administrator
13,560 Posts
Mine looked like that first time I tried putting it on. Later I realized that part of it wasn't clipped on quite right. If you take it off and look closely you should see what I mean.

Tom

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Mine is like that too, and it's installed correctly. I never take the top box off though, so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am not a *VERY* experienced rider
but as soon as I went for a ride with the top case on
I could feel a change in the way the bike handles.

It felt less stable with just my laptop in it.
Yes I was expecting that to some extent
with the wight placed so hi but it surprised me
how much it changed the stability for me.

I am wondering if I should have went with the
Givi side cases. Would that have had less of an
effect on the balance?

Instead I went with soft
luggage for the sides with the thought
that if the bike were to be dropped (heaven forbid)
on it's side that I wouldn't crack expensive Givi cases.
They don't look like they can take much of a hit and
I was/am unsure what side case could take a hit.

Maybe I just need more riding experience...
or maybe the lowering links will help.

·
Administrator
13,560 Posts
Hi Storm Girl!

Did you raise the front forks at all (lower the front of the bike)? How are your tire pressures?

I noticed a fair amount of the bike being unstable at highway speeds (60 to 80 mph) with the E52, in particular around trucks. I raised the forks about half an inch and that made a huge difference for me.

Mind you, I'm 215 lbs and 6'2" (in the morning) so my weight/size might make it work much better for me.

..Tom

Storm Girl said:
I am not a *VERY* experienced rider
but as soon as I went for a ride with the top case on
I could feel a change in the way the bike handles.

Yes I was expecting that to some extent
with the wight placed so hi but it surprised me
how much it changed the stability for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
V-Tom said:
Hi Storm Girl!

Did you raise the front forks at all (lower the front of the bike)? How are your tire pressures?

I noticed a fair amount of the bike being unstable at highway speeds (60 to 80 mph) with the E52, in particular around trucks. I raised the forks about half an inch and that made a huge difference for me.

Mind you, I'm 215 lbs and 6'2" (in the morning) so my weight/size might make it work much better for me.

...Tom
I don't want to derail this thing any more than I have so
I will just say I have lowering links on order, that the front forks has
been raise, I should check the tire pressures, and my weight is
probably not helping (Im 145LBS at 5 foot 9).

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
You are far from having problems due to your weight, unless you mean you don't weigh enough. I'm only 150 @ 5'7" and I don't notice any issues with all three pieces of my luggage loaded. Mind you I'm using an E450 topcase and only wish I had the Maxia :oops:

Storm Girl said:
V-Tom said:
Hi Storm Girl!

...Tom
I don't want to derail this thing any more than I have so
I will just say I have lowering links on order, that the front forks has
been raise, I should check the tire pressures, and my weight is
probably not helping (Im 145LBS at 5 foot 9).

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Night_Wolf said:
You are far from having problems due to your weight, unless you mean you don't weigh enough. I'm only 150 @ 5'7" and I don't notice any issues with all three pieces of my luggage loaded. Mind you I'm using an E450 topcase and only wish I had the Maxia :oops:
It's similar to computer hard drives: there is no capacity that sooner or later cannot be filled full. :lol:

For solo riding @ 3 days my K46 topcase and my tank bag is enough (so far).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Storm Girl said:

quote]

My advice would be to give it a little more time. I don't notice any difference with my Givi E52 topcase on when it's loaded lightly (my laptop).

When I put a twelve pack of beer (or other heavy stuff) in it, I 'notice' the difference, but not enough to really be concerned about.

Think of it this way - a Givi topcase with your laptop weighs a heck of a lot less than a passenger and lots of people ride with passengers.

- Tom

·
Administrator
13,560 Posts
Hi!

My point with the case isn't the weight of it but the size of it.

I am sure that the weight in it makes little negative difference. It is fairly large and I am sure that it makes the bike much more sensitive to winds and side gusts, expecially being a tall, reasonably light bike. My weight might help me overcome a lot of this but Storm girl is pretty light (compared to me) and might feel the effects much more so than I would.. and I was feeling the effects of gusts, turbulance off of larger vehicles, etc quite a bit.

In my case raising the forks (lowering the front of the bike) half an inch made a noticeable difference. I still feel the effects a bit, but pretty minor compared to the stock setup.

..Tom

E

·
0 Posts
I just mounted my E-460 yesterday and noticed the plastic top cover is also a bit out of wack. Maybe out of wack for us Americans but over on the other side of the pond it might look fine :lol:
No biggie, just make sure the bolts are all secure all the time. Hey maybe another acronym, instead of ATGATT, its SABATT. Secure all bolts all the time..
Ok no I guess :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts