StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on the Givi racks for the Kappa 21's and left off the cross brace that goes across and under the wheel arch. To me, the racks look strong enough without them. I'm only going to carry groceries/magazines and at this point, have no intention of putting on massive cases.

Sooooo...has anyone done the same thing and where there any problems?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Yes, you need the cross brace. The bags will "flap" a lot more without it. When loaded or on rough roads, this will break stuff eventually.

Why on earth don't you want to use it?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Groceries can be pretty heavy. The cross brace is part of the design for a reason, and I wouldn't consider it optional.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you need the cross brace. The bags will "flap" a lot more without it. When loaded or on rough roads, this will break stuff eventually.

Why on earth don't you want to use it?
Because I want to save it for a rainy day....

It goes under the wheel arch and the thing is going to be hammered to hell and back with small stones.....and rust. The thinking is that if I put bigger bags on and really go off road, I can put it on (2 minute job). Meanwhile, I'm using the bike in the city and the most it carries is a few groceries, magazines, coffee pot.

That's IF I get any riding done. It's been raining for a month up here.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It goes under the wheel arch and the thing is going to be hammered to hell and back with small stones.....and rust.
why not slide a rubber hose over it before you install it?

That's IF I get any riding done. It's been raining for a month up here.
just a month???

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why not slide a rubber hose over it before you install it?

just a month???

I just installed them last night and going to ride with them a bit to see if there is that much shaking and baking. I have plenty of silicone and hoses to cover them with but I thought that if someone has already ridden with out one for a while, they can offer an opinion.

After I installed them, it became obvious that if I drop the bike again, it will come with a $150 fee. (for new cases)

As for the rain.....it's been a miserable spring or at least what we are use to in the Center of the Universe.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The things are powder coated. They are not going to be sandblasted and rust away. People have run them for years with no undue wear and tear.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Givi designed them that way for a reason.

Believe me, if you're carrying more than about 7 kilos of heroin in each of them and hit a big pothole, you'll have problems...

Use the braces.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I installed a set of Givi wingracks on a home made bracket onto my wife's Hyosung GV250. After a year of watching them "flap" over every bump, and loosening up regularly, I fabricated a " around the rear fender" brace. With the brace, the bags (Givi E21s) were rock steady on the 4200 km trip we're recently back from.
I think that rear brace might be more necessary than you think.:fineprint:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I get it, it was a dumb idea. Mehh...put some black silicone on it, run a shrink tube over it, shrink it, run another one over it, shrink it, fill it with 10 keys and ride baby ride....

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Okay, I get it, it was a dumb idea. Mehh...put some black silicone on it, run a shrink tube over it, shrink it, run another one over it, shrink it, fill it with 10 keys and ride baby ride....
You're the kind of guy who scrubs the inside of the fenders, aren't you? :yesnod:
I can't wait until the paint starts rubbing off the frame next to your ankles.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're the kind of guy who scrubs the inside of the fenders, aren't you? :yesnod:
I can't wait until the paint starts rubbing off the frame next to your ankles.
Doesn't everybody? It's worth at least 3/100 of a second off my commute time.

·
Registered
703 Posts
see how helpful this site is?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Doesn't everybody? It's worth at least 3/100 of a second off my commute time.
Wow. I only wash the parts that show on my bikes and even then it is only once or twice a year. I figure that all that dirt helps to preserve the paint underneath. Besides, I like to listen to bystanders arguing over what color my bike is under all that. I don't think I have ever even looked under my fenders unless I thought something was wrong under there.

I do keep the bikes in good running order. I think all of this might be why I so love Black Labs bike and his posts on what he is doing to it. Maybe, a kindred soul...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I like to listen to bystanders arguing over what color my bike is under all that.

At least they're looking at your bike. I keep my bike dirty in an effort to hide it. Theft is a bigger issue for my Hardley riding wife than it is for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts