StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying the Givi tubular racks (Givi stock# PL532) and mounting the Sears medium or large boxes to them. Who has experience with this? Do the Sears boxes mount great to the racks, or do you have to use the mounting plate, or what? Is there a difference between the medium and large Sears boxes, does one mount easier than the other? Also, anyone know of a way to get a better deal on the Sears boxes? I bought the large last year for ~$50, now the medium is selling for ~$59. Any coupon codes, etc?

·
Registered
487 Posts
what type of box?

What does the sears box look like?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Which is the same as a givi E46

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Sears box is the same as the JC Whitney box. The racks look like they have mounting pegs/knobs for Givi boxes, and I believe I recall people saying that it was compatible with the Sears boxes (a lot of post-ers on this forum bought the Sears boxes last year, and some of them installed them on the Givi racks). I'm just not 100% sure that my memory serves me correctly, so I wanted to verify, so I could understand going in how I would have to install them.

So if someone has actually done it, it would be good to hear about their experiences.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No, they do not fit right on. The slots in the Sears/Whitney box are not quite the same distance apart as the Givi boxes. You can either widen the slots with a Dremel type tool or replace the posts on the Givi rack with something hat has a slightly smaller diameter. The Sears boxes are made of thinner plastic and are more flexible. They do not have a rubber gasket for the lid so will be more prone to water leaks especially if mounted on the sides of the bike. The latch is not made very well. They are a typical Chinese copy. But they are functional and inexpensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts