StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting Givi panniers and top case and looking for thoughts on which ones to get. I would mainly use them for daily commuting where I need to bring a work laptop back and forth, rain gear, work clothes and my lunch at a minimum. I would like to store my helmet in one while out places instead of having to open the seat compartment all the time.
These would also be used to transport groceries if I need to stop off somewhere or decide to buy something (not saying I am going out and buying a bed but I think you get the idea there). Just want to limit my current backpack limitations.
Also, I would use them for any bike trips my wife and I do.
I would like to keep the bike looking “sporty” and I would like the panniers to open at the top so I can just put stuff in them and go.

What would you all think would be the best combination for me?

Thanks in advance.

Lance

·
Registered
230 Posts
Im not a fan of the clamshell type paniers for the sides because to truely stuff them you tend to want to remove them and lay them down and overstuff them... then try to close them and keep finding a bit of this or that is over the edge and they can not close... it is just not as easy as the top opening type that you open the top lid, start jamming stuff in and then swing the lid shut.

I don't think the end price is all that more to go with some of the aluminum paniers compared to the cost of the givi cases and mounts, but I do feel that the ease of "stuffing" is better with the aluminum style.

The Givi style is "prettier", I doubt anyone would argue that point. They can be had in very deep styles that easily fit 2 helmets in one Givi where most of the aluminum ones can not fit a single helmet.

Because of that I really like the single large Givi as a top trunk with a back rest for your girl and 2 aluminum paniers on the sides for stuffing with all your gear and guns.

Plus.... aluminum paniers make your strom look like a tank!
Look, you can hardly tell them apart!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
For the top case, get at least the 52 liter if you're going with Givi. I've gone the economical route using the Bestem T-Box. It is adequate, but I'd love to have a little more room.

·
Registered
230 Posts
For the top case, get at least the 52 liter if you're going with Givi. I've gone the economical route using the Bestem T-Box. It is adequate, but I'd love to have a little more room.
Agree 1000%.

You can not have to much room once you decide your going for a multi day trip. Those paniers and trunks start to fill up real fast.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the Givi E52 and for your needs I'd say the E52 for top box and some E21 panniers would be perfect!

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I have the Givi E52 and for your needs I'd say the E52 for top box and some E21 panniers would be perfect!
:thumbup: that's my setup, and it should be perfect for your needs. Don't get the givi brake light - connector is crap. Invest in the admore light kit. Excellent and you get running lights, brake lights, and turn signals.

·
Registered
654 Posts
top box is a must. I got that big givi e55 L top box which looks a lot better then the 52L one. Ia lso have E41 L side cases but these are only for touring and make my backside look big. Trust me thay are BIG. But I usually keep the set of cheap 21L side cases from givi on. Rain gear and such stay on and for 4 day trips they are big enough for me clothing and such. And are top loading and cheap. And in some cases they can be had from the kappa brand (givi company and they are identical in this case) for cheaper.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
:mrgreen: Is the tank the silver one or the green one? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
79 Posts
for a top case i have the economical Givi 33L. works for me since i never ride two up, it fits one full face helmet fine with a little room to spare. (no lighting kit on mine).

for side bags, i originally had the Givi E43 keyless which have an access hatch on top which is secured with a combination lock. that means you can access the bag without removing it which i like (although you are some what limited given the size of the access hatch). but i found them very big for day to day riding and they catch a lot of wind on the highway.

went to a smaller set of Kappa 21L side bags for day to day. (same company and model as Givi but lower price tag, see Givi E21). i love these little bags. perfect for day trips and general errands. they are top access and don't have near the amount of wind drag on the highway. but, they are not going to hold a standard sized laptop so that might take them out of the running for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently sold my KLR705 and picked up a 2005 DL650. One of the reasons I bought this one was that it came with Givi racks for my Givi E36 side cases. The E36's ran on my KLR for many years and bounced off of rocks, trees and the ground with never an issue. They are plenty big for stuff. I have never once wished they were top loading. The clamshell design makes them totally packable, much more so than small top loading. YMMV.

Then I added an E45 top case. It holds 1 helmet for sure, with room left over. It might hold 2, but I never ride 2 up and havent tried that yet.

I was recently in Athens, Greece. The Strom is well represented there, along with Africa Twins, Varaderos, TDMs and many other bikes we cant get here. I dont remember seeing any bags other than Givi. They are really hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I have the E41's myself but I like the way the newer Trekker 33s look. I can't recommend a top box because I've never used one and I think they all look coyote ugly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a set of Givi 21L, 36L, and a 45L top case. I can get my helmet and jacket in the top case, and use the 21s for regular commuting. I use the 36s for camping gear.

This might be helpful, a video I made when I bought the 36s.

YouTube - ‪New Givi Bags for the V-Strom‬‏

Brent

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a set of Givi 21L, 36L, and a 45L top case. I can get my helmet and jacket in the top case, and use the 21s for regular commuting. I use the 36s for camping gear.

This might be helpful, a video I made when I bought the 36s.

YouTube - ‪New Givi Bags for the V-Strom‬‏

Brent
Great video! It really shows how small the e21's are. I have never had them, but I hear they are fine for what they will hold, and they do look good....in a cruiser kind of way. The E36's are biggish, but not obtrusively so. I do love mine.

I have subscribed to your youtube channel. You shoot everything with flip? I have a kodak playsport that does a pretty good job. Water proof to 10 ft or so? LOL, I had my 9 month old grand daughter with me in the lake Memorial day weekend. I had a vest on and was holding her close and shooting video of her "swimming" with papa for the first time. She "wiggled" and I dropped my playsport. It resists water but doesnt float. It sat on the bottom while I looked for my dive mask, about 10 minutes. I finally found it beside the dock. I turned it on and kept on shooting...LOL

So, my question is, how do you mount/hold/shoot all the different angles while riding? I have been trying to figure that out for my playsport.

Sorry for the hi-jack.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Great video! It really shows how small the e21's are. I have never had them, but I hear they are fine for what they will hold, and they do look good....in a cruiser kind of way. The E36's are biggish, but not obtrusively so. I do love mine.

I have subscribed to your youtube channel. You shoot everything with flip? I have a kodak playsport that does a pretty good job.

So, my question is, how do you mount/hold/shoot all the different angles while riding? I have been trying to figure that out for my playsport.

Sorry for the hi-jack.....
I love the Flip and was sorry to hear that Cisco was going to discontinue it. It is a fine little video camera and too darned easy to use to not be using it. Many journalists are using these for news reporting. I also had a GoPro HD, but sold it recently. I prefer telling stories, and the GoPro does one thing in super wide angle. The microphone is useless for recording conversations. It's okay for shooting B-roll. I also have a Canon Vixia, which I used in the Riding to the Traveling Wall video. I have played with, but not seriously used the video function in my Canon 5D MkII.

As for mounts. I use a camera attachment on my RAM mount for all the handlebar shots--used with Flip and GoPro. For the low angle shots, I have used a photographer's studio super clamp mounted on my crash bars, and then the various components and a camera quick-release mount for the camera. All of these low shots were with the GoPro.

Hope this helps.

Brent

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the video, I think the 36L will work great for me.:hurray:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the video, I think the 36L will work great for me.:hurray:
I think you will be pleased with the 36L. However, I want to point out one thing, and I verified this before I bought them. The E36L will not hold my full-face HJC helmet. The helmet is too fat, or the bags are not wide enough. You will need the 45L to hold a helmet, or a 45L+ top case for the helmet.

Brent

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have Givi v35's for the sides. I like the streamline look. I feel they look like they were meant to be on the bike. They aren't top loaders, but give me what I want and I can sqeeze my full face helmet in. I also use this as a street bike and so I'm not concerned about them being plastic and breaking off road.
I usually keep my top box off unless I need it. It's a Givi E470 monolock. Good for 2 ff helmets. Comes with its own mounting bracket. If you ride two up, it'll leave your passenger cramped for space unless you order an adjustable rack like Sw Motech's 2pc job to move it back a bit. Or do what I did and just drill a couple holes in the factory rack where you need them. Just leave the mounting bracket on and the case quick connects when you want to use it.
Mike B

·
Registered
275 Posts
I can also have nothing but good things to say about the v 35s. They are the Honda OEM bags for my VFR. Fit is nice and tight to the bike. My sz large modular fits right in sideways. They look great on the bike. They also are about as nice a seal as I've seen. They better be for $1000 for the hardbags and racks!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
What kind of riding are you going to be doing? The GIVIs are good quality for street only use, but the mounting brackets are thin and I doubt would hold up to the rigors of true dual sport riding.

For side cases, top load is the way to go. Having used both styles over the years, I would never go back. Easier to pack, rummage through, and more secure in the event the bag comes open while riding. I think the E21 is the only GIVI top load available.

I personally hate, hate, hate top cases. They are ridiculous looking. I will agree they are functional, though. Rather than a top case, if you want to lock the helmet up but don't want to remove the seat, carry a short cable lock with you.

The GIVI E41s I had are asshole ugly and really wide. Made the bike unweildy as hell. Glad they're gone (below):

I'm totally satisfied with Happy Trails. They meet your top opening requirement but not really the sporty requirement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Givi E55NT topcase and added on the Admore LED light kit for it. At this point, I'm not sure I even need/want the sidecases.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts