StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Well I've had my new Vee for less than a week and I have already started accessorizing. First mod of many more to come:

Givi 37 liter Outback cases with the saddle bag holders.

Obviously installing the case on the rack is the easy part: line up the slots and rock into place. I managed that on my first try. Installing the bag holders was a little more complicated but fairly simple.

Givi provides instructions which are very detailed with illustrations, but not so much with written instructions. One of the few written instructions reads "Enlarge the holes with a 012pt" with a picture of a drill bit (not to scale) and a diagram of the left side of my bike with 4 targets for the enlargement. Being the good instruction follower I am, I quickly grabbed my power drill, did the metric to standard conversion (12mm=15/32) and found the appropriate drill bit. As I moved my way across my selection of bits I realized 15/32 is a giant bit...I was fearing I would need drill oil and a drill press to punch a nearly 1/2 inch hole through the frame and tubing of my brand new Vee. I saw electrical wiring close to the proposed hole location, and started planning how to fabricate a sheet metal shroud to avoid severing these critical wires while excavating 4 massive voids in my new ride...logic began to creep in. I triple checked my hardware kit which came with the holders; sure enough there are massive spacers which fit into a 15/32 hole. I began thinking where I could purchase drill oil. More logic kicked in. I removed the plastic shroud which covers the mounting area and realized I would only need to drill through the plastic to slightly enlarge the hole to accommodate the large spacers from Givi (great sense of relief).

Once I overcame the drilling incident the rest of the install was fairly simple. I only had 2 other small hiccups:

1) The right side rear upper bolt would not engage with the treads, I had to take that massive drill bit and bore out the plastic piece which incorporates the rear mudflap/license plate holder. I didn't need to do that for the same bolt on the left side but I needed the extra 1/16 inch to get the threads started. Givi provides a longer hex bolt but it was too long, so I needed to drill out the bigger hole for the proper 8mm bolt.

2) Just like most assemblies with multiple contact points, all the holes, nuts, and bolts do not exactly line up if you tighten them before adding the next part. I tightened the left side mount then attempted to install the right side and the cross bar but everything was off up to a 1/4 inch and I could not even get the bolts through the holes; I had to loosen the bolts from the left and then I was able to get the holes lined up enough to get the bolts through the holes.

Done.

I just got back from a test ride and everything stayed in place and the cases and the holders feel very sturdy and secure.

I hope this helps with an install and prevents anyone from drilling any holes which cannot be un-drilled.

See you out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,101 Posts
I had some pipe in my shed the same size as the spacers so I cut off a short length, sharpened up the leading edge to turn it into a punch, then put a bolt through the punch and into the frame, tightening down on the bolt had the punch cutting through the plastic very easily in the exact places required.

I did use longer bolts than the Givi supplied bolts when I did my install & with one on each side I was able to back up with a nylock nut to ensure things stayed in place.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top