StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I am a seasoned rider in New England and I am going to pick up my new Vstrom1000 in a few months. I am intent on getting luggage. Right now I am stuck between the Givi Trekkers and the SW-MOTECH Trax boxes.

Does anyone have any opinions?

Mark Z.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have always been served well by Givi. Great quality stuff.

That said, from the two options you provided, I think the SW-MOTECH Trax boxes look better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting you say that. I was looking at the black pair of Trax boxed on a wee yesterday and I was kinda diggin them. I would like to find some dealership that had the Givi Trekkers so I can handle them.

The Trax ones are nice.

Tbd

Thx
Msz

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
big cases

If you are going to be touring, I suggest that you get the biggest most homogeneous ugly waterproof indestructible side cases that you can find. They fill up real fast if you are camping, or touring 2-up with your wife or girlfriend who "must" have clean underwear and clothes for dinner.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Trekker leak

I use the Givi Trekker as my top case and it does leak. If your going to be in much rain don't go with the Trekker. Even in light rain during my 30 minute commute and I still end up with a small puddle in there. I still use it while commuting but keep anything electronic in my Happy Trail panniers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seattle. Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards Trax. I had a Givi top case on my last bike '09 concourse and never had leak issues with it. Your insight on the trekker is good to know! Thx MZ

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
I have had several Givi cases as top cases; V46 and E35 Traffic. Never had any issues with either of them. Used the V46 for commuting and the E35 for day trips. Givi makes a nice product.

Last year I upgraded, or for some downgraded :mrgreen:, to Trax side cases and top case. They are the new EVO quick lock ones. They come with waterproof inner bags, but I haven't used them as they cut down on packing space. I guess I take too much crap. Last fall they went through three days of rain and never leaked a drop. I did use a big garbage bag in each just in case but it was not really needed. They are easy on and easy off. I really like them and would buy again.

My only complaint is I wish the top case was bigger, it's 38L, so I could get more crap in it. :mrgreen:

YMMV

·
Registered
652 Posts
I use the Givi Trekker as my top case and it does leak. If your going to be in much rain don't go with the Trekker. Even in light rain during my 30 minute commute and I still end up with a small puddle in there. I still use it while commuting but keep anything electronic in my Happy Trail panniers.
I also use a trekker top case, but I haven't had any issues with them getting wet inside. I've ridden with it in VERY HEAVY downpour rain. I make sure nothing is touching the rubber gasket when I'm closing it. It's also still very clean inside, no dust or anything.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Hey all! I am a seasoned rider in New England and I am going to pick up my new Vstrom1000 in a few months. I am intent on getting luggage. Right now I am stuck between the Givi Trekkers and the SW-MOTECH Trax boxes. Does anyone have any opinions? Mark Z.
Going for looks, function or both. Visually the Trax do it for me. Givi's look decent and work well. Pelicans are uuugly but indestructable. Just my $.02:yesnod:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Going for looks, function or both. Visually the Trax do it for me. Givi's look decent and work well. Pelicans are uuugly but indestructable. Just my $.02:yesnod:
I agree with you. I'm now considering pelicans just for the ruggedness of them. Plus they are cheaper.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the Suk /trax boxes. Stay dry, look cool and can fit all kinds of stuff.. What mmore can I say? No matter what you decide... its all about how cool you look and what you can pull off!:hurray:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Between the wife and I we have 5 Trekker cases, all the sizes, 52, 46 and 3 of the 33's. Love them, no leaks of any kind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Between the wife and I we have 5 Trekker cases, all the sizes, 52, 46 and 3 of the 33's. Love them, no leaks of any kind.
Kurgan, I'm really interested in getting a Trekker setup for my Wee, like the versatility they seem to offer. Can you expand on how you use them ... loading, suitcase vs. top load. And box sizes in differing positions on the bike. What's the smallest size that will carry two full face helmets? What rack system are you using? Thanks in advance. Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't two up with my wife...she has hew own ride. I commute everyday and form/function are important. I am leaning more and more toward the Trax cases. A also like the removable mounts. There is a great video on YouTube from twisted throttle that has them on a wee. I want to know if they are in fact waterproof.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
What size are the original equipment 650 V-Stom Adventure bags? I know they are SW-Motech Trax bags but I am not sure of the size. I want to order different liner bags. I got the Suzuki bags but I don't like them and if you watch eBay they will be appearing once I get new bags.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
aluminum bags are great until they get hit or you crash. then, well, they get dented bent out of shape, lose their water-resistance/proofness etc etc. take a look at hepco and becker gobis. ugly and fat but functional, waterproof, and virtually indestructible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Trax soft liners

What size are the original equipment 650 V-Stom Adventure bags? I know they are SW-Motech Trax bags but I am not sure of the size. I want to order different liner bags. I got the Suzuki bags but I don't like them and if you watch eBay they will be appearing once I get new bags.
The original size is a right box of 37L and a left box of 45L

I contacted twisted throttle and special ordered the soft liners (not the dry bags) for the trax bags... 40 ea, they look like they're pretty nice. there's usually one or two floating around on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170993356421?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SW-Motech-Trax-37L-Inner-Bag-/261135097534?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cccdd5ebe
I know there's a set of trax boxes off of a DL650 that are brand new out there too, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-VSTROM-SW-MOTECH-TRAX-ALUMINUM-SIDE-CASE-PANNIERS-/170993356421?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cfff8e85&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
631 Posts
Kurgan, I'm really interested in getting a Trekker setup for my Wee, like the versatility they seem to offer. Can you expand on how you use them ... loading, suitcase vs. top load. And box sizes in differing positions on the bike. What's the smallest size that will carry two full face helmets? What rack system are you using? Thanks in advance. Dan
Everything is Givi including the racks. 2 full face, you'd need the 52. I only run a top case, I am not a fan of side cases. Wife runs a top case primarily and adds the side cases when necessary. 33's on the sides, 46 or 52 on top.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
If I add a Givi trunk it will probably be the V46. I had one on my Norge. The 52, which I still run on my PC800, caused severe turbulence on the Norge whereas the more aerodynamic V46, which was recommended by a Givi rep at a bike show, was much better. The 52 does not bother the PC800. As for the V46 I know it will hold one full face helmet but not sure on 2. Myself I use a Helmet Guardian on the licence frame for my helmets and save my luggage for exactly that. If the lady friend is along for the ride she gets one saddlebag, I get the other which also carries spare parts, tire pump and tools while the trunk carries riding gear and shoes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts