StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Givi Engine Guards yesterday....and WOW do I like the looks. IMHO, these are the most attractive guards on the market.

Of course, the trying test will be if I tip or lay it over. Hopefully, I plan to never have to report on that happening!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Don't worry. If they protect the 650 anywhere near as well as they do the 1000, you'll be okay.

Mine have been tested....on both sides. ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm in the market for a set myself. Who has the best price on them right now.
Those look nice on your bike.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look nice on your bike.

There are two or three good places to order. I started to order through Twisted Throttle, but simply did a Google search for "Givi DL650" and found a company selling them for the lowest price with free shipping (I think that was a Christmas special).

By the way, I have read from several that they had difficulty with the installation. I will admit that the Givi instructions suck and say nearly nothing, but putting on the bars is straight forward and only took me about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Testing

My Dad dropped my 1000 on my driveway and the Givis protected the bodywork just fine. The crash bar did bend inward though.

Heavy, what prompted you to remove the black plastic lowers or wings from your V-Strom? Is that a home-made concoction you have in their place?

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I've got Givi guards ready to go on. No thanks to the instructions I've figured where all the parts go though.

My problem. The four bolts per side that need to be removed. Mine are extremely tight (K9). So much so I'm afraid I'm going break the bolt or the Allen wrench (from the Zuki tool kit).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got Givi guards ready to go on. No thanks to the instructions I've figured where all the parts go though.

My problem. The four bolts per side that need to be removed. Mine are extremely tight (K9). So much so I'm afraid I'm going break the bolt or the Allen wrench (from the Zuki tool kit).

Any suggestions?

To get my bolds out, I used vise grips to "mount" an allen wrench to my breaker bar (dumb). It worked, and I used it to tighten the new bolts back up, but I couldn't get them tight enough. Went to Sears and bought the allen wrench sockets... that's the way to go. no problems.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Heavy, what prompted you to remove the black plastic lowers or wings from your V-Strom? Is that a home-made concoction you have in their place?
There is interference between those plastic inserts and the Givi bars that makes it very difficult to remove the fairing side panels. I got fed up with undoing all the fasteners for the cowling side panels and then screwing around, reaching inside the panel to undo the insert before I could fully remove the panel so I replaced them with a piece of black screen. I was, originally, going to paint all the visible stuff, behind the screen, black, so it would look better but, 3 years later, I haven't bothered. My Strom ain't pretty and the screen works to make life easier. Good enough for me. :cool:

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Any suggestions?

Yep, these puppies are heavy with Lok-Tite. I used a 'cheeter bar' over the Hex Wrench and they easily broke. Yeah, it is a little scary....but all eight worked spendidly and spun free. After the first one, it was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
543 Posts
prothos...xtremeparts is an ebay seller that I just bought an OEM DL650 centerstand from. While looking at his feedback, I saw several buyers who bought Givi bars for $130.00. Reason I went with these guys is low shipping charges. My center stand cost $185 plus $10 shipping...worked out to be the least expensive I could find.

I found them by typing the center stand p/n in ebay search...you could try the same for the Givi bars (of which I intend to get soon also!!).

The only caveat is that this seller has a couple of feedback gripes for long ship times...but with the snow on the ground I am willing to wait.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
hollowas and jnoflane2. Knowing what to expect and having the right tools makes a world of difference. The guards are on and look great. They seem to be quite strong.

I also warmed the bolts a little as my garage is not heated. I supported the engine some with my floor jack just to make sure nothing moved around with all those bolts out.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
yeah they definitely work. I dropped my bike once in the dirt and they saved the cowls and then last saturday on the street at about 15-20 mph. They are flat on the side that hit the road since it ground them down, but the cowl is unscathed. Well worth the $153 I paid for them. Now to find another set.....

·
Registered
578 Posts
I just got mine in from twistedthrottle.com. I just have to add in a BIG kudos to TwistedThrottle... They had as good a price as any I saw, plus reasonable shipping (watch out for ebay guys charging excessive shipping to make up for the lower prices). Here's the kicker, even though I selected the slowest shipping option, the parts were at my door in a day and a half! Perhaps I owe UPS a kudos as well, but I've got to say, I was very happy with TT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Love these bars. Crashed the Day after (that's right) the Day after I mounted them in June. Very little Damage to bars.

Really wish I had a set for the rear :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts