StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The standard bolts in that position use 25.5lb-ft. That's a lot for those size bolts. I'd suggest putting some blue Loc-tite on them and reducing the torque due to the lubrication effect of the wet thread locker to 20lb-ft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greywolf. I've got both handy. (torque wrench and blue loctite)

I did the google search on this and found all kinds of hits about the guards causing vibration. Now I'm not so sure I'm liking this. My bike is a 2008 DL650.

Do you know what the bottom line is on all this talk about vibration? Seems like some guys used a rubber washer on the part that joins the two pieces at the front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back from the test drive. My hands are still tingling. At about 80mph/6k rpm I could feel the vibration all the way thru to my hands. It's real. I think these are coming off. I'll have to go digging to see what has worked for guys.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I had three sets of these on two different bikes and none of them had any kind of vibration. Check the spacer in the front(the black piece that slides into both sides), where the two sides are joined, and make sure it is tight and you can't spin it or move it back and forth. On both newer sets, that spacer was loose, even with the bolt tight. I had to grind down the bushing that the bolt goes through so they would actually squeeze the spacer. Just something to check before you go through all the trouble of sending the bars back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks pants, I see what you're talking about. My coupler wouldn't rotate, but it was only the bottom of the two pipe sections that were touching the beveled portion of the coupler. If i shortened the bushing, it should allow it to pull the whole pipe section onto the bevel. You know what i mean.....

I'll try it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts