StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have the new Givi E55 top box on their strom? I currently have the E460 46 liter top box, but would like a little more space. i went to put my briefcase in my e460, but it wouldn't fit. the briefcase measures 18x14x6. the lock mechanism on the e460 prevented the case from fitting inside.

thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
does anyone have the new Givi E55 top box on their strom? I currently have the E460 46 liter top box, but would like a little more space. i went to put my briefcase in my e460, but it wouldn't fit. the briefcase measures 18x14x6. the lock mechanism on the e460 prevented the case from fitting inside.
thanks for any input.
That's a big briefcase. I have the E52. I made some quick measurements and unless the corners are rounded I don't think it would fit in E52. Fro the specs the E55 is 2 inches deeper (18.9 vs 16.8) so I can see why you are looking at the E55.

Post a picture of your briefcase. That may help those who have the E55.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
givi

givi makes a brief case , if i recall its called the E36N . it even has a false bottom for documents or a lap top

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys. i really would like to have a trunk box that will hold my helmet and when i'm carrying my briefcase have room for it inside. i've seen the givi briefcase box, but not what i'm looking for.
correction the trunk box i currently have is the E450 46 liter. the dimensions of what i have are hard to beat since it is 46 liters and most other 46 liter cases don't have the depth that mine does.

e450 = 22x16.5x12.75
v46= 22x17x13
e52=23x16.8x11.5
e55= 23.25x18.9x12.6

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just received my E55 from Amazon, and am currently waiting on the mount and AdMore LED kit from Twisted Throttle. When I took the case out of the box my first thought was "DAMN this thing is huge!" Like, maybe too huge...

I took it down to the garage and set it on the luggage rack just to get a sense of how it would look on the bike. It's definitely big, but I don't think it's too big. My biggest concern was the width, and it's not quite as wide as the mirrors. My thought in getting the E55 over the v46 was that it's only 1.25 inches wider, and I'd never regret having more space over less space. Plus, I think the E55 looks much cooler, IMHO. I'll post some pics once the mounting plate and LED lights come and I get it all installed.

·
Registered
579 Posts
For those of you that have had a V46 how do you feel about the quality of the E55?

I just got the E55, coming from a V46 from ~2006 the quality seems to have gone down overall.
Sure it has a few amenities and has a cooler design but overall it seems to be sub par in quality to my old V46.

The plastic feels cheaper, the closing latch is weird (you have to close it in an oddly unnatural feeling way) and fit and finish isn't that great with the snap on pieces.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I had nothing but trouble with the v46 latch, and the e52 had all sorts of parts break. E55 has been fine for 2 years. That said, all the givi stuff is crappy compared to Pelican or the like.

·
Registered
45 Posts
some pics

Just mounted my E55, here are some pics. Since I don't carry a passenger I tried to mount is as far forward as possible within the installation guidelines. I can just barely get the seat on and off, but I was worried about carrying this much way far behind me. If the seat gets too annoying I might redo the installation and move it back 1/4 of an inch.

Overall the installation was very easy. I bought the AdMore LED kit, but I'm saving that project for next week when classes are over.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Givi 55

I've got one on my FJR with a luggage Rack.

Great Box.

Got a Premier Cycle Rack, that pulled the assembly down 1.5 ", and left a nice platform when the box was removed. Don't know if they have one for the Strom?

The Admore's are a great touch as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have an E55 on my 2012 650 ADV Glee, previously on a K7 Wee. It survived a totaling accident earlier this year after the base plate broke and it flew tens of yards and rolled into a front yard. I was then able to buy replacement parts from givi to rebuild and remount it on my new ADV model, so I am quite please at how sturdy it is.

Regarding capacity, it carries the helmet for my oversized head and quite a bit of gear besides, and definitely two helmets at once of any size I've found. I've also put a healthy-sized travel bag with enough clothes and toiletries for three days in it. It does look big on the bike, but the utility makes this very easy to forget. I haven't yet wired up the brake lighting, but plan to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Givi E55 may not be as good as we all thought...

I have the V46 since September and while I am very happy with the case quality I am very disappointed by the fact that it does NOT hold two full face helmets or maybe XS ones only...
Anyway, because of that I have been looking around and of course saw the Givi E55 Maxia 3. The quality seemed to be good and it was for sure able to host 2 XL full face helmets but there are also some issues that really got me very concerned:
  1. This is the only top case that you can close without the keys so you may forget your keys inside...
  2. I saw a video on youtube where the guy open the case with a credit card and a basic screwdriver in 30 seconds without damaging the box at all!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course I contacted GIVI regarding the last point, copying the link to the video. To this day the only answer is that the video disappeared from youtube but no answer from GIVI who obviously is aware of the issue but prefer to "erase" the problem...

The video was initially here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xKjJw9FUL34 called "Givi E55 Locked Keys"

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just mounted my E55, here are some pics. Since I don't carry a passenger I tried to mount is as far forward as possible within the installation guidelines.
Sorry for the thread-jack, but, I also mounted my E55 as far forward as I could. Watch your fingers when you pull the seat; the edge on the plastic mounting plate is sharp (ask me how I know). I recommend taking a file and knocking off that sharp edge.
Steve

·
Registered
96 Posts
My E55 just got delivered today and haven't even seen it yet. It'll go on My DL1000 with a pair of E36's.

Plenty of space for GF and I on some camping trips.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a quick update for the OP in case he hasn't purchased yet.

Received and installed the E55 on a DL1000 and here are my observations:

1. It fits two helmets comfortably, a large and a small. I'm sure it could fit two large helmets.
2. It doesn't look or feel big on the DL1000.
3. The fit and finish is good, but it looks and feels "cheap" compared to other Givi boxes. The E36's I have seem to be of better quality and have the look of a quality product. The E55 has a lot of cheap looking plastic and the hinges for the top look pretty weak..

If you need two helmets to fit(like I did), get the E55. If you just want a larger capacity top box, I would look at other options.

I'm doing a two up camping trip this weekend and I can report more after riding with it loaded as well with the two E36's on the side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts