StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a top case for my Strom 650. Since I can't see or touch the Givi or Bestem, it is a difficult choice.

My main concerns are money, value, quality, fit, and safety. Since this will also be used for a passenger backrest, safety is top priority.

Which case/mounting system is more safe and stable?

Do I need to purchase additional mounting hardware for either the Bestem or Givi? Or is all necessary hardware for the 650 included in the price?

Does the Bestem mounting hardware require customization to fit the 650?

Does the Givi (I've read something about SW MOTECH too) mounting hardware require customization to fit the 650?

Any problems removing the seat with either the Bestem or Givi (or SW MOTECH) mount plate? The times I don't ride with the case, I want the ability to still lock my helmet via seat latches, and don't want the mounting hardware/plate to block the seat removal.

Are both cases quick and simple to dismount? I won't be using the case all the time, and when I'm not, I don't want it mounted. Want something simple and quick, with no fuss or parts to lose.

I'm leaning towards Bestem because of the value, unless someone can point out why the Givi's value is worth 2x price.

Thanks,

Jake

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Never had a Giving, but I do have the Bestman. For the price it is a nice unit. My wife has leaned on it with no problems. Only mount issue is you may want diffderent bolts. Easy to remove. I like mine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just installed a 929 Bestem

Bestem came with all needed hardware. Had to drill a couple of new holes in the Bestem mounting plate. Also cut a couple of holes to be able to get at the rack mounting screws. You'll probably take the rack off and will need access to these screws whenever you want to remove/replace the rack. Was pretty easy, especially having seen several postings on Flickr and Stromtrooper (650 General discussion). Some pictures will help you. Cost is only about 1/3 of Givi and I think it looks good. Safety should not be a concern, especially if it's only your wife. (smile)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the Bestem for three years , only problem I had was the ugly orange strip which was promptly painted black with Krylon Fusion. Case is holding up well over the years. I did have to tighten the lock when I received it. Great value, good product for the money.:thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm very happy with the Bestem case, and it does not interfere with getting the seat off, even with the case attached.
I got a few furniture bumpers that I stuck to the mount plate because the box seemed a little loose when mounted. Problem solved.
I also painted the ugly orange stripe. It came out fine.

I've been thinking about the Coocase S48 for the other Vstrom. If I was going to spend more, I think the Coocase offers more than the Givi.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My Bestem has been fine. As noted, you will want to switch out the bolts for shorter units, I also replaced the splitwasher lockers for nylock nuts. That ran me maybe $3-$4. The plate mount can be fit without drilling new holes, but fits better by doing so.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just mounted my Bestem 929 today. I also went with shorter bolts & nylock nuts. To remove the box you just unlock it & pull the red button. It pops right off. Mine came with a black trim piece instead of orange so I didn't even have to think about painting it.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Can someone explain how to remove the box from its mount?
Exactly as the Givi. As said above, pull the handle and lift up a little, then pull the box rearward toward you to clear the pins on the plate. The 929 is an exact clone of the Givi e460. Except that the actual latch is 180 opposite so that you cannot use the Bestem on a Givi mounting plate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had both. Givi is much better quality, fit and finish and more substantial lock. Bestem serves the purpose and is good value for the money. Be prepared to work with the mounting plate.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have both- I put the Bestem on my Wee, moving it back a bit to provide room for my girlfreind by drilling alternate holes in the base plate. Then I bought Givi E45 side cases for the Wee, and eventually a rear rack to use one of of the E45s as a top case on another motorcycle.
Bestem - loud, annoying rattle with short term fixes, the interior exposed screws scratched up my helmets and have to be covered with tape, the auxilliary tail "light" wiring is really cheap and the light is dull, and the orange had to be painted to make it look good. (It has never leaked or failed in any way though)
Giv E45i- stonger hinges, higher quality lock, no rattle, easier to get on and off, better handle.
I now wish I had spent the money and gotten an E45 top box right off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts