StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at doing Givi E41 side bags instead of the E55 top case. What is your experiance with the E41? I know Givi says they can hold a helmet, but would they hold a Large/X-large helmet? With a helmet would there be room for a jacket in it too?

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK...... so it looks like you're pretty much going against the consensus and gonna go with the jumbo E41s :headbang: ...... It should fit fine with room to spare.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't do it

I have E41 side cases and a V46 top case. The came with the bike when I bought it. I leave the V46 on all the time and it holds 2 full face helmets including my XL Arai Profile.

The E41's are great cases for volume, accessibility, use as a suitcase when parked, but they are so w i d e on a Vstrom that I would not buy them. You have to be very aware that the cases are wider than the rest of your bike, and if a buddy parks to close to you, thinking there is lots of room at the handlebars and seat, when you go to pull the bike upright off the side stand you may hit his bike first.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think so, I was going to go with the E55 top case but from the warnings I got about not overloading it because of the weight placement etc. It has me thinking it would be better to go with side cases only. The 21/36 would not hold a helmet which is part of the reason to have them and for the 41L cases people say they are a great all around bag for trips and a few used them for commuting/general bags.
Just trying to consider all my options and pick the best. I originally wanted to do two E35s but from the posts the E41 are less then an inch deeper. Also the E35s can't hold a large helmet (from what a few websites state)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Seriously man...... unless you're doing some major touring on a regular basis, the E41s are pretty big for everyday use. Running with just a topbox doesn't look that silly does it? Besides...... who cares what it looks like when it's so functional. I think you said you were looking to put some riding clothes, helmet, maybe a laptop in there..... that's not cause for weight concern with those items.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I like my E41's. Yeah they stick out a bit and have a scar to prove it. I vote no to any top box due to coyote ugly factor + weight up high and back. I do like the look of the star trekker. If you go with the E41 check out the admore lighting kit for same.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I have a Zox XXL helmet and it fits in my E41s. Haven't tried to squeeze a jacket in there with it. I don't know if one case would hold a well-armored jacket and the helmet. Might be pushing it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I keeo the V46 for dayly use. The E41s are way to large for regular use.

I use the E41's and the V46 when travelling. Provides enough space for all my camping gear in the luggage without leaving anything in the rain on the seat. This is solo touring, so if you are carrying a passenger, then adjust your gear as necessary.

For daily use, I find the E41s to be much to wide and bulky. Although they should be able to hold a helmet etc. Since you will have 2 of them on the bike, there is no issue with sugfficient space for a helmet one side and jacket and pants on the other. I have never tried to put 2 helmets in one case, so I can not confirm it will work.

The other issue to consider if you need passenger space is that the foot pegs are quite close to the front of the bags, so you would need to see if a passenger will be comfortable. My size 13 feet would not be comfortable on the passenger pegs with side bags on the bike :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would not use the E41s as a daily bag, just use a topbox like an e460 or V46, will fit your helmet and not be so huge. The e41 bags are great for travel but make the strom very wide, especially with my old style sw motech racks, which stick out past the turn signals, unlke the new version. Also, with the older racks, I have no passenger clearance issues... can say for certain with the new racks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have both the E55 top & E 41 side boxes on my Vee. I wear an XL Arai Vector & can't get it in my side cases. I can put two of them in the top case, though. Aside from the ginormous space inside the side cases they work really well as a "frame slider" if/when you go down!! :yikes:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have both the E55 top & E 41 side boxes on my Vee. I wear an XL Arai Vector & can't get it in my side cases. I can put two of them in the top case, though. Aside from the ginormous space inside the side cases they work really well as a "frame slider" if/when you go down!! :yikes:

I use them all every day so it's no big thing for me. Here in southeastern VA you never know what the weather will be like. I keep my rain gear in one side case & my boots for work in the other. Not to mention that when I DO take a trip on the bike I have WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH room for everything! :hurray:

·
Registered
816 Posts
to big. makes bike look funny.
Odd thing for V-Strom owner to worry about, no? Some say it's big and funny looking to start with.

Lots of negative comments from people who have likely not used the E41 bags. Yes they make the bike wide, but unless you do a lot of lane splitting it really isn't an issue? You get used to them quickly. I can't imagine a better set up for touring, along with my E52 top case. Seriously, how much difference does a couple inches in width make to the average rider? The volume increase and easy access keyless lid make up for any negatives I have encountered. Mine are going into their 9th season. I bought them new for my '02 Vee and moved them over to my new to me '06, and will move them again if I decide to change bikes.

I usually keep the E52 on the bike for in town, and add the E41 bags for touring, but lately all bags have been on the bike a lot. I wouldn't worry about overloading the top case either. Sounds like a lot of fear mongering advice from somewhere.

That said, I can't answer the OP's question as I have never stored a helmet in the E41, but would imagine a helmet and jacket would fit.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
They do make the bike wide.

They will hold a large helmet as well as some other stuff, but doubt I could fit my winter jacket in with it.

Mine have scars on them too, clipped a traffic island marker sign while dodging an obstacle the other night. :headbang:

I hate using them on the commute to work and only use the top box on those days when possible.

V42 top box holds two medium full face plus gloves and smaller stuff.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I had E41's on my bike. I used them everyday. I did not find the size to be a problem. I loved the nice top access door. Just this year I got bit by the aluminum bag bug so I sold them and got a set of Happy Trails. I didn't run into everything I rode by and still had no problems when I rode side by side with the wife down the road. If you like them get them they are way better to live with day to day vs. the clam shell only bags. Those are just a big pain in the a$$. Every time your in them you have to either pull em off the bike or just work things around to close them. I also have an E52 top box and have not had any trouble with loading that up. And yes a XL helmet will fit in the E41 but why do that when it goes even better in the top box.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I keep my lunch box (Coleman Workmate type) in one along with my liners, my cover in the other one and my backpack in my top box for my hour long commute. I love them. You do have to be aware of the width, though.

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
givi

Don't think the width of the bags is much different for all the Givi's unless you're talking the little E21's. The E36, E360 and the E41 are all within about 1/4" of the same width. Even the really huge E45's are only an inch wider.

Bill H.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went with the E41s on the PL532s... just because they do carry more (82L total). The top case alone would have been fine but between storing my wifes stuff when we stop somewhere and mine they will work better. Plus I have a great starting setup for some trips I want to take in the next month or so.

Theys all for the help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts