StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what the total width of the strom would be with either the e360 or e460s as side bags? I'm obviously looking for maximum carrying capacity, but lane splitting could be quite the issue with this setup.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Any idea what the total width of the strom would be with either the e360 or e460s as side bags? I'm obviously looking for maximum carrying capacity, but lane splitting could be quite the issue with this setup.
Good luck splitting lanes with those big side cases. They are wide. Some have already sold and gond smaller because of lane splitting. If you are not gonna split lanes then they make excellent sized storage cases.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Pelican Cases (1550) on my DL1000. My son rode it to Alaska last summer and on the return we went through California. We hit LA at bad time and so I introduced my son to the great sport of lane splitting. My bags are 38 inches wide. He had no problems except with one jerk who after I went through tried to close the gap. I saw him start to swerve over, but the traffice was moving so slow that he did not have the distance to completely close the gap. His action caused him to get a scratched mirror for his efforts. My son's bars/mirror hit his mirror and left a mark.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good luck splitting lanes with those big side cases. They are wide. Some have already sold and gond smaller because of lane splitting. If you are not gonna split lanes then they make excellent sized storage cases.

Thanks. I may just wait until later down the line. I figure my Maxia Top case + a moderate backpack should provide me ample room for gear for a weeklong trip.

I guess I really need to decide if I'll be splitting lanes...if not....how about maxia's for sidecases?!?!?! Boy that would be alot of space, and difficult to load balance. But think about the major stop light potential (even though the lights would be pointing the wrong way entirely)!

·
Registered
186 Posts
A lot of the art of lane splitting is psychological in nature when thinking about the saddlebags. Most side cases are normally only a few inches wider than your handlebars in most cases. So unless your squeezing into spaces you probably shouldn't be in the first place you should be fine.

So the question is just how close are you getting to the traffic your splitting lanes in? If your close enough to hit the bars then your going to have an issue with the bags, but most of the time I am nowhere near close enough to have clearance issues with my bars let alone the bags. If it looks like it is that close I hit the brakes and wait for the gap to open or traffic to shift.

I have the Givi V35 saddlebags. I haven't measured to see how wide they are, but they aren't a narrow bag either. I would say they are at least a couple inches wider than the handlebars.

Good luck with your bags search.

Longsnowsm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts