StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a set of E21's to replace my larger saddlebags to give my wife more footroom. She can only get her heels on the pegs now, and only has a size 7 shoe? The 21's are cheap price-wise, but are they good bags? I looked at footpeg relocators, but to buy two sets it would cost around $350! Cheers--BB

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Nothing wrong with the E21's other than that they only hold 21 litres per side. For one person for travelling light or two for an overnight type ride they are great.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks K1W1, she got spoiled by the floorboards that were on my cruiser, a little out of place on a Strom. BB

·
Registered
115 Posts
+1. I've had them on for a couple weeks, riding daily, and I like them. For versatility, I use my tank bag and tail bag as liners. That way, if I need more storage capacity, I can throw the bags on the tank and rack and then fill the side cases.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Love mine. Hold all my emergency stuff with room to spare leaving the E52 empty for helmets, groceries, etc. They held up in my minor dirt road tipover, and they held up for a chap from England trekking about Afrika.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I use mine for 2 week camping trips along with a 46 litre topcase plus 17 litre tank bag. You need to back carefully but there really is no need for those huge sidecases people use - just encourages you to haul more crap! -unless you want to do without a topcase.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nothing wrong with the E21's other than that they only hold 21 litres per side. For one person for travelling light or two for an overnight type ride they are great.
Yep. I leave mine on all the time. You can still split, and with a top case too they're great for my solo camping trips. For general use, 21L isn't huge but I find I can pretty reliably get a grocery bag in each. Good for dumping overpants into when you're heading somewhere not so moto, too.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Knew I had some photos somewhere.

Plenty of passenger leg room.

and not too wide.

and ideal for 2 kg (4.5 lbs) of Cherries.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like mine, I fit a lot of stuff in them. They are sturdy. No regrets and quick installation, too. I leave them on all the time and add a Givi top case for trips.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great looking top loading case for overnight or around town travel. I always have them on the bike but I do use E36's when I travel. Givi racks give you
options.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
I have both the E45's and the E21's. In regard to construction, my only disappointment with the 21's is that they seem a little flimsy at the top. They aren't as rigid as the 45's. But, they have done some rough stuff with me and I love them.

Funny, but I use the 45's when the wife is traveling with me, as we can pack all her stuff and I use the 21's when I am by myself, especially off-roading. For a multi-day trip, the 21's won't give you enough storage for you and your wife.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I have an E460 top case, a set of E36 side cases and a set of E21's. I gotthe E21's at a swap meet for $80. I like them for daily commuting to work and back, they hold just enough for raingear, work boots, lunch, and a box of doughnuts. I really like and use the "suitcase" function, pop one off and carry it if need be. I wish Givi made something like the E35 in a top-loader.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ditto with what the other guys are saying. They are a good bag, but with somewhat limited capacity for long haul touring. With that said, I installed mine in San Antonio and rode home to Washington state a couple of weeks ago and they were great. One of the advantages is that they are top loading. I had side loading bags previously, to include on my BMW GS and don't like them.

I removed mine and replace them with Happy Trails just for the additional room.

I'll be selling my virtualy new Givi racks and the 21s (with bag inserts) shortly. I posted some pictures earlier today on the "Show me your sport tourer" thread but Photobucket has gone bonkers and will now longer allow me to link to the pictures.

·
Registered
42 Posts
E21

On my previous bikes (multistrada, R1150R BMW) I had 34 litre factory bags and unless I was touring never really used them to capacity. The E21's are perfect size and I like that the bike has a narrower profile.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well perhaps I won't sell mine but rather keep them as a spare system. I do like the low profile.

That is a great ride report and shows the EV21s to be a very sturdy bag. The one picture with a guy in the background, who appears to be masked and carrying a weapon of some type, must have an interesting story behind it.

That also appears to be a good web site. I joined to be able to access to full site. Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all that repied, I'm going to order a set of 21's. I have a 45L top case, and really don't like side opening cases as well as top loaders. Actually, I think they look better on the bike anyway! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
159 Posts
A guy that I used to work with (that convinced me to get a set instead spending lots more money on larger ones) said that he AND his wife took a trip from Central Florida to somewhere in Canada with the 21s and had enough room for both of their things. Not sure what kind of top case they used, if any at all, and I'm assuming she's a fairly low maintenance woman. Either way though, he said that they had no problems on the trip with those cases.

·
Registered
42 Posts
E21'S

I also believe that the 21's are going to hold a lot. My side loaders on the old bike would never get packed tight as the bags would always interfere with the lock mechanisms. Loading from the top eliminates that so that they can really be packed tightly with stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Keys...

I have an E45 top case with E21 side cases. Love them. Look into the lock sets for GIVI cases. I bought the 5 lock set from twisted throttle so that my top case and all side cases had matched keys. I also have a couple spares if I ever buy another set of side cases. Just makes it more convenient.

Heres the link....

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2334/127/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts