StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Does anyone know anything about the GIVI D260ST windscreens. I am looking at replacing my OEM. I read somewhere that it may melt your dash if left out in the sun too long.... I also read that it works well for buffeting, not sure what to believe, except I know for sure I do not like the one on my 2009 Wee:mrgreen:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I mounted my stocker one position higher than it is designed to go by putting both bolts in the lower holes.
It cured the buffeting for me and is holding up just fine (others have done this as well). You can also add spacers to change the angle.

You may want to try that before spending cash on a givi screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Givi Windscreen Tinting

So, if I look at placing a strip of dark Tint along the bottom, angled roughly in the area of the dash, do you think it would stop the melting problem...

Speaking of melting it is going to hit 38 degrees celsius here today.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I didn't know about the dash melting problem but I love my givi windscreen with madstad bracket. What a profound difference! I highly recommend this combination. Suddenly, life is bliss on the bike.

Just adding this in. Went to the box the givi came in. I had the sticker still in there. Didn't even read it before. It says:

"WARNING: in case of sun exposure, the incidence of sun rays on the inner curvature of the screen may cause a "lens effect". As a consequence, we advise against parking your vehicle under direct sunlight or, at least, recommend you cover the parts directly exposed. Givi denies any responsibility for damages due to non-compliance with such recommendations."

In short, our screen melts your dash. Wow, I didn't realize this before I bought the thing. It's such a good screen though. I wonder if placing some sort of reflective film on the critical areas of the fairing would fix it?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'll tell ya what I'm going to do until I figure something better. I'll just carry me an old white t-shirt in the saddle bags and when I have to park in the sun for any length of time I'll stuff the shirt all around the fairing under the screen. Fixes that problem until I figure how to protect the fairing permanently.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'll tell ya what I'm going to do until I figure something better. I'll just carry me an old white t-shirt in the saddle bags and when I have to park in the sun for any length of time I'll stuff the shirt all around the fairing under the screen. Fixes that problem until I figure how to protect the fairing permanently.
Even easier, just pull the shirt over the screen.

Or don't really worry about it, I have had a Givi screen for 4 years and never had a problem. I never worry about the sun direction when parking.

I guess it might be more likely to cause problems in the southern states where the sun hits the bike from a higher angle.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
It's probably a personal thing, but the madstad bracket does the most for me to cure buffeting. I tried all combos when I got the Givi. Nothing without the madstad was tolerable, everything with it was.

I have had no trouble with dash melting since I installed the Pat Walsh shelf. I don't even think about it anymore.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hello All,

Does anyone know anything about the GIVI D260ST windscreens. I am looking at replacing my OEM. I read somewhere that it may melt your dash if left out in the sun too long.... I also read that it works well for buffeting, not sure what to believe, except I know for sure I do not like the one on my 2009 Wee:mrgreen:
I have that one, in conjunction with a MadStad bracket. I really like this setup. I tried the D260ST when I first got it, without the MadStad bracket, and the buffeting was still there. Just being honest about it. It works wonderfully well with the MadStad.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Even easier, just pull the shirt over the screen.

Or don't really worry about it, I have had a Givi screen for 4 years and never had a problem. I never worry about the sun direction when parking.

I guess it might be more likely to cause problems in the southern states where the sun hits the bike from a higher angle.
Now why didn't I think of that? Excellent idea! I just tried it out and it works perfect. My screen wears a size Large T-Shirt.

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
It has caused some minor melting on my dash. Nothing too bad, but you can tell where the sun got to one side of the dash.

Cures:
- the t-shirt method mentioned above
- parking your bike into the sun, not facing away from it
- get a dash shelf

Also...as has been mentioned elsewhere, many times, on this board: seats, windscreens, and handlebars are all personal choices. One choice isn't going to work for everyone. Your bodyshape, height, inseam, helmet, if you have a tank bag or not, all play a part in buffeting. We have a big thread here just to discuss this issue.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I you don't mind me asking, how does the Pat Walsh shelf attach to the bike? Do you mount it in the same holes the screen goes into?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello All,

Wonder if a light shade of window tint would cure this problem?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I believe you have this opposite, you want to park FACING the sun, not having it to the back of the bike. The melting happens when the sun hits the inner curvature and it reflects down and at the dash. Parking facing the sun means the curvature reflects light away from the bike.

At any rate, I have this shield and a madstad and love it.
You are correct!

I have the Pat Walsh dash shelf too, hides the ugly bubbles on my dash and serves as a GPS mount on trips.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Timely topic. I just installed the Givi screen on my Madstad bracket. Bike is much quieter at highway speed. I have not tried too many positions with the bracket yet. My initial thoughts were that it was too tall. I tried moving the Madstad down to the lower mounting holes, but the windshield wouldn't fit, so I had to move it back up. I currently have the Madstad lowered all the way and angled about half-way back. Seems pretty good. Anyone have any favorite settings? Are you looking through the windscreen or over it?

Bob

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Timely topic. I just installed the Givi screen on my Madstad bracket. I currently have the Madstad lowered all the way and angled about half-way back. Seems pretty good.
I have mine set up just like yours and seems to work the best for me. I do not like looking through the windshield. As it is it allows a few inches of clear line of sight for me and there is enough clean air I can pop up the visor for some calm fresh air.

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
I believe you have this opposite, you want to park FACING the sun, not having it to the back of the bike. The melting happens when the sun hits the inner curvature and it reflects down and at the dash. Parking facing the sun means the curvature reflects light away from the bike.

At any rate, I have this shield and a madstad and love it.
You're right. Silly mistake. I've changed my post.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Timely topic. I just installed the Givi screen on my Madstad bracket. Bike is much quieter at highway speed. I have not tried too many positions with the bracket yet. My initial thoughts were that it was too tall. I tried moving the Madstad down to the lower mounting holes, but the windshield wouldn't fit, so I had to move it back up. I currently have the Madstad lowered all the way and angled about half-way back. Seems pretty good. Anyone have any favorite settings? Are you looking through the windscreen or over it?

Bob
My understanding of what you said may be wrong but your givi should fit right on the madstad no matter if the madstad is mounted in the top or bottom position. Mine is mounted at the bottom position and the givi screen fits. I think I'll get me one of those Pat Walsh shelf's though. I also run my screen set to the bottom (shortest) and tilted back a bit but not half way back. It works great for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts