StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked them up the other day and when I went to install them on the bike I could not untughten the allen head bolts on the vstrom frame. any suggestions aside from taking it to the dealer

·
Registered
800 Posts
Longer leverage on the allen wrench.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Try a 1/2 inch socket wrench with a allen head socket. This will give you the force you need to pop it loose. Make sure you torque everything back to the same spec. Get everything VERY tight between the two halves of the guard as it will vibrate you to death if you don't. Good luck J.R.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I picked them up the other day and when I went to install them on the bike I could not untughten the allen head bolts on the vstrom frame. any suggestions aside from taking it to the dealer
The bolts aren't torqued very tight (16 ft/lbs?), but they have loctite on them. Heat from a small butane torch directly on the head , or a sharp blow to the hex head might snap the loctite. Once out, the Givi bolts are slightly longer - I used a M8x1.25 tap to clean the holes. Assemble everything loosely, mark the upper plate, take it off and tighten the plate (near impossible to tighten while on the bike). Wrap teflon tape around the front nipple to make it fit slightly tighter in the pipes. Good Luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently installed the Givi's, too

Yes, you need supplementary leverage on the Allen key, because of the locktite.

When you put the new bolts in, Loctite them in place, too.
MAKE SURE your wind them backwards until they pick up the original thread, otherwise you will cross-thread them and have a major problem.
Do one side at a time, as per the instructions.

I needed to put a lock washer between the spacer and the bar where the two meet under the radiator, as there would have other wise have been too much play and vibration.

All up, about 1 HR 20MIN install time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts