StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, do I feel like a [email protected]$$.

Got my new Givi crash bars and put them on today. However, I ran into a couple of problems. I bolted each bar onto the frame and began tightening them. As I was tightening one, I guess I went too tight because it broke off. I started drilling it out, but the Loctite setup and the tip of the bolt remover broke off in the broken bolt. I really don't know what to do now. I'd sure love some suggestions.

Then, as I bolted the two bars together where they join, I could not get the bolt to thread into the welded nut. It was too big. I went to the hardware store and bought a bolt the next size smaller (7mm) and it went in just fine. The bolt and welded nut are not the same size.

The bars look good. I took her for a spin and could not detect any vibrations or other issues, but I still have a broken bolt on the left bar, and I want it removed.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Been there done that. I can feel your pain from here. Didn't have the bolt remover snap off but had a real adventure trying to drill out the broken bolt. Eventually just drilled out the bolt and any remaining threads. Got a new SS bolt and nut to tighten her down. Replaced all the supplied bolts with SS and was satisfied with the effort. As for the front bolt, right size but a real bear to line it up and get a couple turns in. Lotsa luck and don't forget the lock tight(blue).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Givi crash bar install problem cheap bolts

same, same fellows!!! snapped off flush, drilled out retapped. found exact match from suspension bolt on sled [99skidoosummit] replaced all eight bolts [are anodized have a shoulder that reinforces head to bolt area]WARainman you may be able to drill out piece of bolt remover using very small titanium nitride coated bit.requires patience /steady hand,do not attempt to drill into case hardened end of tap, go all the way around it until free.if you enlarge motor mount hole some not to worry, do as WaterWarrior and replace with larger bolt.best of luck.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would replace all hardward with a minimum grade 5 if I choose to keep it. 3 bars on the top of the bolt is grade 5, 6 bars is grade 8. Tighten to spec using torque wrench.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sorry to hear your troubles. You'll want to take these off when doing maintenance so make sure you but anti-seize on the bolts and lots of grease on the connector where the bars meet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts