StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, quick question.

I'm sure nobody ever *wants* to find out, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had a tipover/crash with Givi hardcases on, and how they held up if so. I'm curious because I've always heard the Pelican cases can take a real beating, and online motovloggers such as halfthrottle have shown/proven this. I've thought of switching to Pelican cases as my Givi bags are a little rough (previous owner most likely dumped the bike at least once) but only if it would make any sense to do so.

Am also considering coating the outer shells with some sort of spray-on solution (maybe truck bed liner?) to improve the look/durability, if that would work.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
my little box came off because my rack came off!!

my little top box box came off because my home-built rack came off!!
and they both got dragged and bounced along the city street - becasue my extra tail light wires stayed intact

the cas3e is a bit scratched but works perfectly

·
Registered
123 Posts
Uh... High speed wobble 120km, will put a grinded hole in bag, but bag still worked, just put a garbage bag over to keep rain out. They function like motorcycle guards. If you drop bike on it's side the bags stop the fall with no scratchs on them. I make sure I have them on for off roading, no possibility of getting trapped with bike on your leg and no damage to bike.

I had top bag fall off due to the mount(It had loosened previously, when a dumb broad pulled out infront of me and I went into her b-piller), 140km grind on it and tail light cover disappeared but bag still functional. Fortunately had spot device running in bag, found it 33km away at some guys house. Make sure for the top mount, it's mounted through where the rubber cover should be.(chuck rubber cover) Totally worth every penny.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I had a tank slapper at triple digits. The bike looked like somebody went all over it with a belt sander. One E36 bag got asphalt sanded enough that some grains got inside. The bags flew home filled with my belongings along with me and my cast. I replaced the covers and they were like new.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
My e21's have protected the bike in 0 mph tip overs. I think they are pretty tough.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have Givi E41 Keyless bags. Had a lowside last summer. Roughed up the lower part of the bag on the down side and scuffed the paint on my keyless door. Locks still work, bag is still watertight. I put a sticker over the scuffed paint and still have and use the bag.

·
Registered
934 Posts
My e45s survived a few low speed off road crashes. The bike suffered bent bars, a broken shift lever, and a broken brake lever and the givis just had a few scuffs that I could have probably sanded out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I changed lanes onto a toyota Sienna minivan last summer and my left side bag rubbed from the sliding door to the tail light. (misjudged her speed she was doing like 85 in a 65) did almost 2000 dollars worth of damage to the van, just a small scuff on my bag and the mount on the left side is pushed about an inch in compaired to the right. Several years ago also dropped it at parking lot speeds and only a slight scuff. same bag.

the bags are the Givi Keyless. My bike is at the dealer right now getting a tuneup or I would take better pictures of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My E46 has almost 60,000 miles on it and my 2 E36's have about 40,000 on them and still work great.The 36's have been over a couple of times at low speed and only have small scratches.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to see the positive responses; sounds like the Givi's can take more of a beating than I would have expected.

I do plan to learn to ride on gravel/dirt roads to an extent this year, so perhaps I'll keep the sidebags on rather than off... ;P That'll be another post soon enough... how to handle myself on dirt & gravel...

·
Registered
281 Posts
GIVI has been around for quite a long time and really produces quality products IMHO.
I recently added the "Trekker 3 pack" which is all keyed a like top case, and side cases. GIVI even provides 2 keys per case. Very well engineered using quality materials. The individual locks have dust covers where you insert the key...nice attention to detail. What I really like is that their is very little flex I the mounting system after the cases are mounted on the bike.

Having said this, go with what your happy with...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts