StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
The stock shield was passable for me but I was a bit annoyed by the LOUD (for me) wind noise at speed. I like riding witih my face sheild open but really couldn't do that comfortably with the stock shield. I researched a few options and nothing was available for purchase (yet) for the 1050 in the United States. I did stumble upon a vendor in Italy who had the Givi AirFlow available and bought it... not knowing how the purchase experience would play out. To my surprise, about 3 days later, I received the screen and installed it the same day ... then did a short test ride.

My view after a short 20 minute ride on a calm day ----- I absolutely love the screen and I am extremly happy with my pruchase. The annoying wind noise was drastically reduced and I think it looks great on the new 1050. The only real improvement opportunity would be for Givi to add some decent install instructions.

The screen definitely works for me and is highly recommended. (YMMV)

I hope this helps for anyone looking for an aftermarket windshield opton for the new 1050.

Just installed MY Givi airflow. Totally agree that better instructions (in fact, ANY instructions) would be appreciated! Having said that, success in installation was achieved! very happy with the results.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday. Install wasn't bad, mostly just reversing the steps to remove the stock one. It was a great investment and makes a huge difference in wind buffeting. Lots of adjustability as well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I ordered mine today but it will be a month or so until it finds its way to Perth.

·
Administrator
14,141 Posts
My Givi Airflow for my DL1050 arrived a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I had contact with a client that told my a couple of days later he tested positive for Covid 19. I didn't get sick or have any concerns and tedting a week ago came out negative. Nonetheless I had to isolate for two weeks.

I couldn't pickup my Airflow until later today so it was late in the day by the time I installed it. (Made several mistakes along the way so it took me longer than it should have.)

I was able to get out for a short ride (maybe 50 miles) and it works well. I will fiddle around with it and see how much better it can be.

Thanks @richlandrick !

..Tom

·
Registered
263 Posts
I ordered my Givi AF3117 screen from Carpimoto in Italy as per augie05 first post. The conversion from Euro to AUD including DHL fast shipping to Perth Australia was AUD $256 which I though was very reasonable. Furthermore it only took a week to get from Italy to Australia. We cant get local post from Sydney to Perth within 2 weeks.
I fitted the screen quite easily, its a bit time consuming as you have to move over the grommets from the old screen and the screen latch components.
Once on, I adjusted the lower screen up a couple of notches and the top screen I set so I could see over the top.
This combination works well for me at 5"11 . I really like the amount of height adjustment that there is from the lower screen with the existing latch mechanism to the top screen which also has a good range of adjustment.
I rode with the strong sea breeze behind me and it was great. On my return I rode into the strong sea breeze and the screen handled it well and I was still able to ride with my visor up.
The best thing I like about the screen is that I can ride with my visor up at speed and I dont have any visor vibration so doesnt disturb my vision. The existing Suzuki screen would vibrate my visor so much I had blurred vision.
So thanks to all who have contributed to this thread for this screen ( particularly augie05) as he was the first to buy one and try it for us all. I do believe this is a winner.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I ordered my Givi AF3117 screen from Carpimoto in Italy as per augie05 first post. The conversion from Euro to AUD including DHL fast shipping to Perth Australia was AUD $256 which I though was very reasonable. Furthermore it only took a week to get from Italy to Australia. We cant get local post from Sydney to Perth within 2 weeks.
I fitted the screen quite easily, its a bit time consuming as you have to move over the grommets from the old screen and the screen latch components.
Once on, I adjusted the lower screen up a couple of notches and the top screen I set so I could see over the top.
This combination works well for me at 5"11 . I really like the amount of height adjustment that there is from the lower screen with the existing latch mechanism to the top screen which also has a good range of adjustment.
I rode with the strong sea breeze behind me and it was great. On my return I rode into the strong sea breeze and the screen handled it well and I was still able to ride with my visor up.
The best thing I like about the screen is that I can ride with my visor up at speed and I dont have any visor vibration so doesnt disturb my vision. The existing Suzuki screen would vibrate my visor so much I had blurred vision.
So thanks to all who have contributed to this thread for this screen ( particularly augie05) as he was the first to buy one and try it for us all. I do believe this is a winner.
Awesome!!!! Thrilled that you like the screen and that the purchase experience was good. (That was my biggest unknown when I rolled the dice)

For those that are still on the fence... jump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘07 Suzuki DRZ400S, ‘20 Suzuki DL1050XT
39 Posts
I am 5 feet 11” inches. 32 inch inseam. Forgot to mention, I also added the Givi winglet accessory which they call a handlebar protector. It sits below the screen. Not sure how much that part helped but decided to try that as well.

Does the moveable airflow piece have locking slots? Or can it be locked anywhere along the two rails?

This looks kind of cool, do you have an angled view from in front of the bike from about 45 degrees? Would love to see how the windshield and winglets bend/curve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update, nevermind - found an video. The dealer must have bodybuilders working for them as I cannot move the middle screw in the latch.

@augie05

How did you remove the original windshield?

I loosened the four screws, no biggie there. Then went after the one on the handle, which is like it was screwed in by Odin himself.

Inserted the four big ones again and tried for the small one in the handle - no dice. Feels like it will strip if you exert more force on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is there any screws or spacers included in the package? Or reuse all OEM?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there any screws or spacers included in the package? Or reuse all OEM?
I ordered the 3 givi available ones (airflow, touring and the small "wings" that can be mounted on the sides of the windshield). Only the box with the small "wings" contained any fasteners. Both windshields reuse the oem ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ordered the 3 givi available ones (airflow, touring and the small "wings" that can be mounted on the sides of the windshield). Only the box with the small "wings" contained any fasteners. Both windshields reuse the oem ones.
Wow you went all out with Touring and Airflow kits. Were you able to complete the install successfully?

I am going to attempt to get the Airflow on today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow you went all out with Touring and Airflow kits. Were you able to complete the install successfully?

I am going to attempt to get the Airflow on today.
Yes I was able to finally get the original one off yesterday and started with installing the airflow. The touring one is quite taller so I doubt I will use that one much or at all.

Going to try the airflow out first as I was getting buffeting off the original one (184 cm). The airflow in its lowest position is similar to the original one in its highest.

It is only around 4-5 degrees Celsius (~40F) here and windy so I haven't gone yet, aiming for tomorrow.
20210430_183733.jpg

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 1050XT
1,076 Posts
My Givi Airflow for my DL1050 arrived a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I had contact with a client that told my a couple of days later he tested positive for Covid 19. I didn't get sick or have any concerns and tedting a week ago came out negative. Nonetheless I had to isolate for two weeks.

I couldn't pickup my Airflow until later today so it was late in the day by the time I installed it. (Made several mistakes along the way so it took me longer than it should have.)

I was able to get out for a short ride (maybe 50 miles) and it works well. I will fiddle around with it and see how much better it can be.

Thanks @richlandrick !

..Tom
Tom old boy.....just breaking in my new CreamCycle ... love it so far. Just sold the 2012 this morning with 106,000kms for $3700 😊 Hope to ride with you guys soon eh ! Ordering the Givi screen for sure after reading this thread. Had it on the 650.

Phil

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 1050XT
1,076 Posts
Awesome!!!! Thrilled that you like the screen and that the purchase experience was good. (That was my biggest unknown when I rolled the dice)

For those that are still on the fence... jump!

Thanks Augie ... ordering today. Actually, the top slider of the Givi on my 650 will fit on the stock 1050 screen with holes cut by a glass guy, but the extra width and the bar piece on the new Givi is nice. Had one on my 2012 DL650 for 100,000 kms.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts