StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, fellow Stromers...

I'm 6'2 and have the stock Suzuki windscreen on my '13 Wee...the one with the built-in adjustable wind deflector at the top. For the most part, it does OK, but the buffeting can be a chore and I always wear earplugs as the wind noise is tiresome. (I have Richland Rick's mirror extenders installed already).

So...been doing research and have narrowed possible options down to either a Givi Airflow or a Madstad with their brackets and windscreen. I see plusses and minuses for both...I'm drawn to the Madstad a bit for its ability to tilt back and forth as well as up and down, as opposed to the Givi which just adjusts up and down. However, that lower piece on the Givi that has the "winglets" looks like it might provide some cleaner air.

So rather than poll the inmates on the benefits of either...are there folks out there who have tried BOTH and can offer some real world experience as to which worked better for you, and why?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Greetings, fellow Stromers...

I'm 6'2 and have the stock Suzuki windscreen on my '13 Wee...the one with the built-in adjustable wind deflector at the top. For the most part, it does OK, but the buffeting can be a chore and I always wear earplugs as the wind noise is tiresome. (I have Richland Rick's mirror extenders installed already).

So...been doing research and have narrowed possible options down to either a Givi Airflow or a Madstad with their brackets and windscreen. I see plusses and minuses for both...I'm drawn to the Madstad a bit for its ability to tilt back and forth as well as up and down, as opposed to the Givi which just adjusts up and down. However, that lower piece on the Givi that has the "winglets" looks like it might provide some cleaner air.

So rather than poll the inmates on the benefits of either...are there folks out there who have tried BOTH and can offer some real world experience as to which worked better for you, and why?

Cheers!

On the subject of winglets, the combination of the Givi Airflow and the Augustus deflectors worked well for me. I had the windshield on first but did notice a bigger improvement once the deflectors were installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 2013 wee with a Givi Airflow and the Augustus deflectors and it made a big improvement. There is some still some air that comes up onto your chest and under your helmet but I find it comfortable up to 65 mph. I prefer secondary road travel topping up to about 65 mph for which this set up is perfect.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
You will be disappointed in the Givi Airflow for higher speed operation. Great on back roads, around town. Once you crack 55 it goes downhill. Ok into the 60's if you don't have crosswinds or any traffic, but how often is that?

Get the Madstad bracket and one of their taller windshields. If in doubt, get the taller one! That is part of why the Madstad works, you can adjust height. But maybe more important is angle. Getting the top of the windshield closer to your helmet makes a lot of difference.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Have not used both but cannot beleive anything can do a better job than the Madstad.....total adjustment and astonishing at speed. The new deflectors make it even better.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well that is interesting. The only drawback I have found to my bike (650) is that I am not comfortable at higher speeds on major highways due to the buffeting and wind noise. I had been thinking about a full fairing bike. Is the 22 inch Madstad the tall one?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
Don't limit yourself to just the screens Madstad sells. Any screen that fits a 2004-2011 DL 1000 or DL 650 will fit the madstad bracket for the 2012-2016 DL 650. Aftermarket screens for the 2012-2016 DL 650 will not fit the Madstad bracket!!!

Always better to go too tall. In fact I would purposely go too tall and raise the mounting holes by drilling new ones. This helps remove some of the load on the weak cowl area of these 650's.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Madstad + CalSci = quiet bliss at 70mph. Add ear plugs and a Shoei helmet, you can hear yourself whisper (no joke) at 70mph.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Don't limit yourself to just the screens Madstad sells. Any screen that fits a 2004-2011 DL 1000 or DL 650 will fit the madstad bracket for the 2012-2016 DL 650. Aftermarket screens for the 2012-2016 DL 650 will not fit the Madstad bracket!!!

Always better to go too tall. In fact I would purposely go too tall and raise the mounting holes by drilling new ones. This helps remove some of the load on the weak cowl area of these 650's.
Yes that's good advice - I used a Givi ( not the Airflow ) on my 2010 650s plus the MadStad.
I'm using the Madstad solution with the air deflectors on the CB500x and it's a step up.
I'm not tall so can't advise but the Madstad and a decent sized screen goes a long way.

I could never get my CBF1000 screen working and even with a Madstad was unsuccessful - screen was just too narrow.

Best screen ever was my ST1000 with the OEM touring screen - so quiet at 150kph.

Wide and those cutouts really worked - of course the fairing is a big plus but the damn thing was too wide for my shortish legs and too hot in traffic in tropical Australia....but what a treat at speed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am very interested in this thread. I am in pretty much the same situation as the OP, but I am not all that experienced with motorcycle accessories. Two questions, if you please:
  1. I am not familiar with wind deflectors and I cannot find the Augustus ones for sale anywhere. Where can they be found and are there any alternatives to that brand?
  2. With the Mastad windscreen, I see they offer different tints. What do people here recommend?
Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
First, I added the Augustus winglets, and that helped quite a bit. This spring I added the Givi Airflow and it was a massive improvement. I'm 6'2" and can ride at 80mph all day. This year my longest day was a little over 600 miles and I felt fine, and that was with a 3/4 helmet. Stayed nice and quiet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes that's good advice - I used a Givi ( not the Airflow ) on my 2010 650s plus the MadStad.
I'm using the Madstad solution with the air deflectors on the CB500x and it's a step up.
I'm not tall so can't advise but the Madstad and a decent sized screen goes a long way.

I could never get my CBF1000 screen working and even with a Madstad was unsuccessful - screen was just too narrow.

Best screen ever was my ST1000 with the OEM touring screen - so quiet at 150kph.

Wide and those cutouts really worked - of course the fairing is a big plus but the damn thing was too wide for my shortish legs and too hot in traffic in tropical Australia....but what a treat at speed.

Yep...agree the ST1100 was a fun ride, but I always ran a clearview....I do run the Madstad with their 20" on my 013 650a and set it low (at bottom) and a couple degrees in at the top from sites advised settings. I too have Augustus winglets...... I'm 6' with a TA saddle, air just skims the top intake on my RPHA Max.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
For me the Givi Airflow was an 30% improvement over stock. The 18" Madstad was an 80% improvement. I made my own winglets and they helped with about 5 to 7% of the buffeting. Double Take mirrors took care of another 5% and handguards another 2 or 3%. I could never totally rid myself of all the buffering but it was quite tolerable after several modifications listed above were completed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am 6'2" 32" inseam. I put on the Givi Airflow and the Augustus deflectors on me 2013 650. I have the terry adcox seat so I think I'm sitting a little lower than the stock seat.
I ride all day , no earplugs, full face with visor up and sunglasses on. At 60-65 mph the setup is perfect.
I think mirrors would help a bit to smooth out airflow but have stuck with stock ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had madstads on my 2004 and they were ok, they didn't allow the screen to come back far enough to put my head in clean air but they made it function enough that I kept the bike for 5 more years or so.

I thought about madstads for my 2012 but when he cheapened out by going with the first gen screen mounting, which effectively tripled the cost. I looked elsewhere. I went with the Givi airflow and I put spacer on the bottom mounting holes so the whole screen is angled further back.

Funny thing is, I keep it in the lowest position 90% of the time unless it's really cold.

For me at 5'8" tall with most of my height in my torso it's fine up to about 75mph indicated and loud to about 80mphi after 80 it starts to effect the handling more then I would like.

It's quiet enough that it's reasonable with ear plugs in.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
There's a whole thread on windscreens and buffeting. Since the OP is asking for specific comparison I can share my experience. I tried the Givi airflow and for me it wasn't any better that the stock adventure screen however I did make a custom bracket to raise the stock screen up two inches which was a slight improvement. I tried the Madstad tall windscreen with the Madstad brackets and it's much better and that's what I'm using now. I'm 6"1". You really have to experiment with different position of the bracket. I found that lower was better with the top just below the line of sight and angled back a little but since I had the tall screen in a lower position the bottom was too low so I cut two inches off instead of exchanging for a shorter screen.

·
Registered
284 Posts
There's a whole thread on windscreens and buffeting. Since the OP is asking for specific comparison I can share my experience. I tried the Givi airflow and for me it wasn't any better that the stock adventure screen however I did make a custom bracket to raise the stock screen up two inches which was a slight improvement. I tried the Madstad tall windscreen with the Madstad brackets and it's much better and that's what I'm using now. I'm 6"1". You really have to experiment with different position of the bracket. I found that lower was better with the top just below the line of sight and angled back a little but since I had the tall screen in a lower position the bottom was too low so I cut two inches off instead of exchanging for a shorter screen.
VSrider, that is exactly my experience, too, right down to cutting the bottom two inches off the Madstad screen.
Somedays, it's perfect at all speeds, other days there is still some annoying buffeting- I think it will always depend on the prevailing wind's speed and direction. I may try an MRA spoiler on top of the Madstad, to see if that improves anything, but I don't like any shield too high up in my line of sight. PS, soft foam ear plugs have always been standard equipment in my book.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I continuously see references to purchasing "madstad brackets". However, unless I am missing something, it appears that Madstad only sells their brackets as a set with their windscreen. I'm trying to decide between the Madstad, Givi and MRA. Is my google-fu lacking? Are the brackets not sold separately? Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts