Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It doesn't seem to matter what bike we buy we usually have problems with, 'a' the screen and, 'b' the seat. I guess it's pretty well impossible for these items to suit every individual.

My new (2013) V-Strom DL650 is no exception, the seat is very comfortable for me but the screen is awful - fitted in any of the three options causing buffeting that gets annoying after a very short time.

Searching forums and the internet I found a huge amount of positive comments on the Givi Airflow screen so decided to 'bite the bullet' and order one.

I bought from the Belgium firm 'RAD', who were currently doing the best price and free postage.

Équipement moto | RAD

The cost for the screen was 139€'s

Really easy to fit using existing mounts and beautifully made.

There is a total adjustment of 7" from top to bottom.

The bottom part of the screen is 'bike specific' whereas the top part is generic.

A couple of photos fitted.

Screen in lowest position.

Lowest - side view

Screen in highest position

Highest - side view

Information Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASEKytFbeLw

:

I finally got to ride the bike with the new screen and :wow , what a difference.

Still got wind noise of course (it's not a cage) but pretty-well all buffeting has gone.

Visor open at silly speed no problem.

Definitely seems to work better the lower you have the screen.

It even rained when I was out and virtually no raindrops coming off the screen hit my helmet visor.

I'm 6'1" and have the lower screen in the top mounting holes and the top screen about 2/3rds down from the top.

So, good value for money - I think so.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Same experience with mine. Best money ever spent on any motorcycle accessory. Eliminated all buffeting and wind noise and gives my head a nice bubble of quiet calm air while still getting some cooling air on my torso. Shield up at 90 mph no problem. Rain goes right over my head.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bug and Guts

For use in bug load areas such as Florida, this shield has made my ride much lower in bug splats on my helmet face shield. Great improvement.

However, the bugs can now splat on both shield, and even on the inside surfaces of the both shields, as the bugs tumble in the air stream.

Also very heavy rain can flow through the spaces between the shields, depending on your speed, wind speed and if the rain is a driving (sideways) directed rail fall.

BUT I WOULD BUY THIS AGAIN A GREAT SHIELD

·
Banned
256 Posts
Good pics Retaite. You will enjoy the new screen, it makes such a difference to the bike.

This screen is pretty much now widely recognized as the best solution to fix any issues with the stock screen. It is a one step solution to fit and looks great as well.

Easily the best screen for the V-Strom Model range. :thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good pics Retaite. You will enjoy the new screen, it makes such a difference to the bike.

This screen is pretty much now widely recognized as the best solution to fix any issues with the stock screen. It is a one step solution to fit and looks great as well.

Easily the best screen for the V-Strom Model range. :thumbup:

Off to Corsica at the weekend to give its first real test.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I picked up one for the older DL cheap and cobbled together mounts for it.

Yes, it's magic, there's still some wind noise if there's a strong side wind, but otherwise it solves most of the DL's wind noise problems.

One interesting thing I found, at a certain speed, the wind bubble changes shape - your elbows get pushed in, your back gets pushed down, you pick up 10kph near instantly and wind resistance drops dramatically.

Since I was chasing a MultiStrada at the time the results of that were quite amusing .... well, if you have an evil sense of humor and didn't spend far too much money on a Ducati anyway.

Pete

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your post reminded me that I still had to get this windshield because I too am experiencing terrible buffeting at anything above 60 mph, give or take. I also ordered it from RAD since it's located right here and they have the best price indeed. :thumbup: I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Quick question: what's the effect when riding in hot weather? Are you still getting some, hopefully clean, air on you for cooling off?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I installed my Givi Airflow last week. I have been experimenting with the different heights to see what works best for me. The only negative so far is that I seem to have less air flow through the helmet. Plenty of cool, quiet air on my chest. Might be a trade-off that I have to live with. The air noise and buffeting has definitely decreased. I am pleased and impressed so far.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have had my Givi "airflow" fitted for 2 years now.
For - It works.. No buffetting at all and I ride with a flip top helmet open.
- very solid construction, it's been flogged over rough ground and yes it moves around but it has never cracked. Pillions love it as it takes the air up over them as well on high settings.
Against - Its so good you have to tip your helmet visor out of the "still patch" to remove rainwater mist droplets and that just looks weird :green_lol:
- The top section has to be removed in the summer if you want a cooling breeze.
Like the Bike, some people hate its looks
but in the end I'm still looking for an ashtray to mount near the ignition, so I can smoke a cigar on the move :jawdrop:

In the end its a solution with minor problems intil you again ride a Strom with a standard screen, then you thank the stars for its invention

·
Registered
31 Posts
It doesn't seem to matter what bike we buy we usually have problems with, 'a' the screen and, 'b' the seat. I guess it's pretty well impossible for these items to suit every individual.

My new (2013) V-Strom DL650 is no exception, the seat is very comfortable for me but the screen is awful - fitted in any of the three options causing buffeting that gets annoying after a very short time.

Searching forums and the internet I found a huge amount of positive comments on the Givi Airflow screen so decided to 'bite the bullet' and order one.

I bought from the Belgium firm 'RAD', who were currently doing the best price and free postage.

Équipement moto | RAD

The cost for the screen was 139€'s

Really easy to fit using existing mounts and beautifully made.

There is a total adjustment of 7" from top to bottom.

The bottom part of the screen is 'bike specific' whereas the top part is generic.

A couple of photos fitted.

Screen in lowest position.

Lowest - side view

Screen in highest position

Highest - side view

Information Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASEKytFbeLw

:

I finally got to ride the bike with the new screen and :wow , what a difference.

Still got wind noise of course (it's not a cage) but pretty-well all buffeting has gone.

Visor open at silly speed no problem.

Definitely seems to work better the lower you have the screen.

It even rained when I was out and virtually no raindrops coming off the screen hit my helmet visor.

I'm 6'1" and have the lower screen in the top mounting holes and the top screen about 2/3rds down from the top.

So, good value for money - I think so.
Well, it makes sense to me to set it in the position you have chosen:
1) Since this screen works by creating an airflow between its two components, you increase this effect by maximizing the overlap between the latter, setting the top section in a rather low position relatively to the lower section.
2) At the same time, by bolting the whole assembly to the fairing in the top mounting position, you get the most complete protection from the elements on a horizontal axis.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Getting too hot and humid, lowered mine all the way today, It helped somewhat with more air, I may remove the outter shield. Time to buy a cooling vest. Getting to old for this heat.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Rode around town for the past couple of days with this screen and really noticed a difference. Finally got out on the freeway today and was a little disappointed that I still got a bit of turbulence that made my vision blur. It was much less than with the stock screen, but didn't go away completely. I wonder if my helmet is contributing to the issue. I have an Aria RXQ, extra Large. So maybe it's just my big Heed. Are most people finding attaching the lower screen on the highest mounting points is the best setup?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Love my Givi airflow

i have found my airflow to work best at the highest mounting hole's and with the adjustable shield all the way down. also i took a ride with the adjustable shield removed and it worked great. clean wind on my helmet. great for the summer heat. love my airflow. 5'9" 30" inseam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree, this windshield made an amazing difference. I can now hear my engine revving. The first time I heard it I thought I was running around in a lower gear but I was actually hearing the engine for the first time.
However, I too am a bit disappointed at highway speeds. There is still some head bouncing/shaking. Definitely a lot less than before but still there. I tried adjusting it everyway but loose and its still there. After traveling for several hours at speed its gets really annoying. Hard to see the signs from all the bouncing.
Anyone ever attach a laminar lip or some sort of extension the givi airflow? Pop it on when your going to do high mileage and take it off when your done? Just curious.
Don't want to sound like I'm hating on the givi. Heck I'd buy it again in a heart beat. If it just had that last little fix at higher speeds it would be a grand slam. I'd say below 65-70 mph it works perfect.
Also thought about the madstad but now I have to go buy the older givi airflow to fit the madstad. :furious:

·
Registered
996 Posts
For all that are disappointed on highway speeds with Givi Airflow (like I am), do a little quick test. Remove completely your mirrors and try it. I have Aprilia Tuono mirrors on extenders and wind flaps on the sides (as described in wind deflectors thread). After trying everything, all positions of the lower and top screens, after shimming the mounts in zillion combinations, after removing and putting back my wind deflectors... I remembered to try it without mirrors and voila... it was as smooth as silk on any speed.
My mirrors are back on and I'm waiting for bar end mirrors to arrive:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed my Givi Airflow last week. I have been experimenting with the different heights to see what works best for me. The only negative so far is that I seem to have less air flow through the helmet. Plenty of cool, quiet air on my chest. Might be a trade-off that I have to live with. The air noise and buffeting has definitely decreased. I am pleased and impressed so far.
Where is everybody getting their Givi Airflows? I live in SoCal and none of the online stores in the USA have them in stock. I hope this is just temporary.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Where is everybody getting their Givi Airflows? I live in SoCal and none of the online stores in the USA have them in stock. I hope this is just temporary.
Givi USA runs out of stuff all the time. They seem to have no understanding of sales forecasting. OTOH, they have very good service. Call them and ask when more are coming and to which dealers that they are going. That is how I found the v-strom tank ring for my bag.

·
Registered
41 Posts
any news on this? I too tryed the Airflow on all positions, even removing spacers, got new bar end mirrors but still got buffeting on helmet at highway speed

·
aka Rick in Alabama
503 Posts
Thinking this might be my next tweak so I'm bumping an older thread here for an update or new feedback on the Givi Airflow.

Any new insight on the issues described in this thread?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think the airflow has been good for wind noise and an improvement on buffet ting under 60 or so. I have the Lower shield mounted in the middle and the adjustable shield at its lowest position. I'm going to try a few experiments with mounting it higher as is described but adjusted lower. And then maybe try lower and lower. Also interested in the mirror solution. I am running stock with extenders.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts