StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, long time lurker, first time poster.

After following many others experiences, I thought I'd give a Givi a go.
2017 650 Strom, looks awesome... but.
Buffeting is dreadful! Have tried all mounting heights, and all levels of adjustment. I have no idea what the issue is. Even removed the mirrors to rule out turbulence from them (didn't help...).
I'm 5'11'' so not a giant, bike is standard height.
Am at my wits end. May just buy an extended Eagle screen and have done with it.
Any advice from you good folk?
TIA,

Rich 馃槉

Registered
The Givi airflow is built to speed up the air that flows between the 2 screens to get the air up and over your helmet, the more overlap between the two screens the better it should work.

I have all the settings on my Givi on my V2 at the lowest & I'm 6' tall, this allows me to see over it and gives the maximum overlap of the 2 screens.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Givi airflow is built to speed up the air that flows between the 2 screens to get the air up and over your helmet, the more overlap between the two screens the better it should work.

I have all the settings on my Givi on my V2 at the lowest & I'm 6' tall, this allows me to see over it and gives the maximum overlap of the 2 screens.
Thanks Rolex,
I've tried it from lowest mounting, through middle to top. Also tried the moveable component at full range from minimum to maximum and nothing seemed to work. That said, it was a little better in the lower position, but still head rattlingly uncomfortable.
I'm flummoxed!

Registered
2012 DL650A
I too didn't find the airflow as good as others have described (it's fine until about 55mph then goes downhill from there) . I'm 5'11" too and use an Arai Signet, have Aprilia mirrors with extenders and the Augustus deflectors. Ended up picking up a madstad which at least allows me to angle it far enough back to have clean air around my head. In the highest position the madstad has buffeting at freeway speeds that is marginally better than with the airflow for me.

Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
I too didn't find the airflow as good as others have described (it's fine until about 55mph then goes downhill from there) . I'm 5'11" too and use an Arai Signet, have Aprilia mirrors with extenders and the Augustus deflectors. Ended up picking up a madstad which at least allows me to angle it far enough back to have clean air around my head. In the highest position the madstad has buffeting at freeway speeds that is marginally better than with the airflow for me.
While the Givi Airflow worked ok at speeds under 60, I too found it not so good above 60 or around traffic or crosswinds. While it may work better on the DL 1000 or later models, some just don't seem to know what smooth air flow can be. Sure, it is much better than stock. I built wings onto the top and sides of my Airflow when I had it. That made it better at speeds, but I still ended up developing my own screen for the 2012-2016 DL 650's.

Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
Maybe try the GIVI sport screen for the VStrom 650. It is low and should put the wind at chin level. I have no experience with this shield has I do not have it installed on my bike as of yet. It's only $80. Sell the Airflow and get the low sport shield to try out. Nothing to lose at this point.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey All,

Thanks for your input and replies.
To answer a few points -
Stock mounts, I'm using the screen as supplied without extras, have a Shark Evo' 3 (Not the best to be fair, things improved a little using my old Schuberth), no change in buffeting with/without mirrors.

Prior to this I tried a Givi touring screen (Awful). Then went to an Eagle sports screen with an MRA spoiler. This set up worked fairly well, I just wanted a bit more protection, hence trying the Air-Flow.

It's a relief to know it's not just me and that others have had issues with the Givi too - thought I was bonkers there for a minute!

So, next up will be the Eagle +100mm with side extensions. I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Will be selling the Air-Flow soon, watch this space...

Rich

Vendor
Rich,

I think the airflow works better on the newer DL1000s. On those it is superb. On the DL650's, less than nervana, but usually good reports.

Regarding moving on to a tall screen, remember you need air under the screen to reduce the differential pressure from the front to the back so the air coming over the top remains smooth longer. And A lip at the top (e.g., laminar lip) helps a lot with a big flat screen. Best of luck to you.

Registered
I had the same experience. I had heard nothing but good things about it the airflow but I never could get mine to get as good as I expected. I also never cared for the look of it either. I ended up buying a wind deflector visor off of Amazon for $40 (if I remember right) and it is just as good as the airflow was in my opinion.

Reactions: richwill68

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I had the same experience. I had heard nothing but good things about it the airflow but I never could get mine to get as good as I expected. I also never cared for the look of it either. I ended up buying a wind deflector visor off of Amazon for $40 (if I remember right) and it is just as good as the airflow was in my opinion.
Disappointing isn't it? Like you, I never found it anywhere near as good as I expected, especially above 50kmh!

Registered
I've been using the Givi Airflow for over a year on my 2019 V-strom 650 Touring and have never had any buffeting issues. Same on my 2017 Honda Africa Twin with Airflow shield on it. I'm just under 6' and wear a Scorpion adventure style helmet which has a visor mounted on it. I love the Givi Airflow which I can adjust on up or down on the fly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been using the Givi Airflow for over a year on my 2019 V-strom 650 Touring and have never had any buffeting issues. Same on my 2017 Honda Africa Twin with Airflow shield on it. I'm just under 6' and wear a Scorpion adventure style helmet which has a visor mounted on it. I love the Givi Airflow which I can adjust on up or down on the fly.
Weird the different experiences we all have, hey? I'm glad the screen works for you mate. Gutted it doesn't for me :(

Registered
Per recommendations on this forum I added spacers between the mount and windshield to move the Givi Airflow further out. It made a big difference for me. What buffeting I had disappeared. 3/8鈥 nylon spacers, used longer screws. I have a 14 DL 1000, but cheap solution to try.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Per recommendations on this forum I added spacers between the mount and windshield to move the Givi Airflow further out. It made a big difference for me. What buffeting I had disappeared. 3/8鈥 nylon spacers, used longer screws. I have a 14 DL 1000, but cheap solution to try.
View attachment 287461
Thanks bud, I'll give that a crack before I sell it on ;)

Registered
The thing I really like about the Givi Airflow is how easy it is to raise and lower, and how much range of motion it has. When I go off road I like to lower the shield all the way down so I can see the ground better. Flip the levers and push the shield down, quick and easy. When I get back on the blacktop I like to raise it back up to block the wind if it's cool out but if it's hot I keep it in the down position.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts