StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Give top case w/ unplugged brake lights not safe?

new to motorcycling and put a givi v46 top case on but not wired up to light up while braking.

seems like such a big red brake light looking blob that it might confuse tailgaters that im not braking when i am

·
Registered
238 Posts
...seems like such a big red brake light looking blob that it might confuse tailgaters that im not braking when i am
I don't understand how them thinking that you are braking when you in fact are not is dangerous to you. :confused: If the opposite were true (you braking, but they don't know it), then I would understand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didnt say big red blob was lit up- just that it looks like a brake light that is not lit up while i really am braking

ur opposite understanding is what i was trying to communicate

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would think cagers would still see your tail light. If you want to really catch their attention, check out hyper lites. They are very easy to install 20-30 minutes and easily mount in a variety of places on the back of a Strom. I have mine mounted on the arms for the turn signals. Also, if you are that worried about the unconnected Givi light confusing other drivers, you could get some black reflective 3M tape and cover the light up. That way, you will also be adding visibility at night.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks vatos

Just a little paranoid as cars seem close in rear-view mirrors and esp after a cager rear-ended my cage at a stop light last month

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Thanks vatos

Just a little paranoid as cars seem close in rear-view mirrors and esp after a cager rear-ended my cage at a stop light last month
As well you should be. I see rear endings every week on my commute. I feel most uncomfortable without my Givi and Admores. Oh, the Givi connector is crap. Greetings from a CofC alum ('84).

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
new to motorcycling and put a givi v46 top case on but not wired up to light up while braking.

seems like such a big red brake light looking blob that it might confuse tailgaters that im not braking when i am
Well anyway, the big red band around the box is not the light. I don't even believe that is reflective. But I think I know what you're saying; you're just concerned it looks like a light that is off because it's red plastic. Either illuminate it or paint it black and problem solved.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
didnt say big red blob was lit up- just that it looks like a brake light that is not lit up while i really am braking

ur opposite understanding is what i was trying to communicate
Are you saying that a car with more unlit brake-lights can trick people into perceiving that that particular car is braking more easily than a car with less unlit brake lights?

If you are, then there's something wrong with your logic and with your world view; I don't think you should ride a bike...

·
Registered
392 Posts
lights

Most people driving cars have no idea what they are looking at when looking at a bike, to them the trunk is just a piece of the body of the bike, they don't see the lens as a brake light, just a red piece of the bike.

Bikes stop better than cars, occasional scans of the mirrors while braking is a very good idea to make sure no one is coming up too quickly from behind.

Bill H.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Ah, I see what you meant now... (I'm sober today, lol)

You mean that the unlit thing that looks like a brake light might make people think that you're not braking because it is unlit.

In that case, it's not a problem; the bike's brake light is pretty bright and pretty hard to miss.

You could paint over the lens if you wanted to remove the possibility of error, or install the brake light kit I guess.

I've had the brake light kit in a topcase before; it wasn't very visible.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I've had the brake light kit in a topcase before; it wasn't very visible.
The Givi light kit is not very visible. The AdMore kits are very bright.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts