StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a V-strom 1000 and I love everything about it. But I have read about it being unstable with side bags. Does this happen without the sidebags or just with them and how big of a problem is it . I talked to the dealers about it and by no surprise the had not heard about it. HELP

Doug

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Howboucha Doug!
Straight answer:
I have the Touratech 39L cases. If you havent seen them, check out my gallery or better yet, look at the photo of my bike on the main page.

My V-Strom experienced a wobble after I installed my cases and hit over 110 mph (according to speedo). It scared the crap out of me.

Since I put new tires on it, I haven't noticed any more wobbling. I cranked it over 100 mph last Wednesday while passing on a straightaway. Non-issue.

Of course, it will depend on how your cases are loaded, but you have to worry about that if you are on a Goldwing or a V-Strom.

My advice, don't worry about it. You will be fine. I love my cases btw even though my buddies make fun of me for having "coke coolers" on my ride.

Brendan Kearns

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Givi/Kappa bags on mine. I have not experienced any stability problems whatsoever. This is one of the most stable bikes I've ever owned. I had it up to 130 indicated (8500 rpm, 5th gear) the other day with the bags installed and had no problems. I still have the crappy Trail Wings on it (not for long!!!) too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
straight anwser

I have an 02 with Givi E36N side cases and a E45N topbox. I weigh in at 150lbs and tend to take way more stuff than I need on trips. I have had the bike to 125 mph with the luggage on without any problems. They always recommend keeping th espeed below 80 mph when running with luggage. My R11RS also had that warning with the stock cases. I wouldn't worry about it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ditto. I've experienced no stability problems with the factory stock luggage whether the side bags are on or off. I ride about half the time with the side luggage off - they hang out pretty far, and the bike looks less like a big yellow UFO when they are off. I always have the trunk on.

The bike IS prone to being pushed around by side winds a bit. Bear in mind that I live in a Plains State - and getting blasted by 40-45 mph crosswinds is not uncommon here. A lot of bikes would have trouble dealing with that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How does this stuff get started? Took a 800 mile trip with Suzuki hard side bags, tail trunk, and wife. Bike was fully loaded and a least up to 100 mph no instability, none. As for side winds moving bike around, wind will move any bike around. Trying riding a Concours or another bike with a full fairing in windy conditions. Much worse than the V Strom. This is an excellent handling, comfortable, strong running bike. A combination that is hard to find.

·
Registered
351 Posts
TS

All motorcycles are inherantly unstable at certain times. Your a small object on two wheels. This issue has been blown way out of proportion. Motorcycles are all about learning and knowing your bike. If you want something stable buy a car.

Scooter

·
Registered
213 Posts
stability

I just put a set of BT020s on the bike and the ride is even better than with the stock tires or the Tourances I had on it before. If you want a really fun bike to ride and don't care about going off road give them a try. I don't think they will last the 13000 miles I got out of the Tourances but the smiles are even bigger with the BTs. Comfort, handling and a hell of a lot of fun to ride. Don't worry about the small issues and buy the Strom.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep it below 100 mph and adjust the preload accordingly and I doubt you'll have a problem.

With the new progressive fork springs, Tourance tires, Givi E460 trunk and E21 side cases, I've not had a problem.

On the old fork, stock Trailwings and E360 side cases, the front end would get squirrely over 100 mph, especially in high winds.

As with anything on two wheels, paying attention to what your bike is telling you and being ready to adapt to changing road and environmental conditions will keep you upright almost all the time.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stability

Hi guys, I'm new here, planning to buy a V-Strom soon, and found this site doing research. First, this is a GREAT site, apparently with a lot of great guys/gals.
As for stability, a MAJOR factor that contributes to a bike's behavior at speed is rider weight, and/or load weight. The weight of a rider is significant with regard to the curb. Comparing it to a car, a 200lb rider on a V-Strom would be analagous to a 4500lb "rider" in the average bloato-SUV--imagine what THAT would do for stability. When it comes to bikes and stability, heavier riders have the advantage. ALL bikes have some inherent "wobble" (the tendency for the front wheel to oscillate side to side at a given frequency) at some speed. "Bad" bikes have an inherent tendency to "weave" (the entire bike tends to oscillate side to side "around" the steering axis), and this is pretty much a non-recoverable situation once initiated. Within normal parameters, the mere pressure of human hands holding the bars acts to dampen wobble forces--often sensed as a momentary shudder during accel/decel. Trail has a LOT to do with how prone a bike is to "head shake", as well as front end loading, and again, rider weight.
I've been laboring along with an '03 H-D Sportster (we're all dumb sometimes) for a year and a half and interestingly have discovered that while the ride is damned near atrocious one-up, above 65mph (the bike feels unplanted, bumpy, and top-heavy--not to mention vibration that makes your eyeballs jitter), when I've ridden two-up with my wife, her added weight improves riding characteristics across the entire spectrum...suddenly it feels solid, "planted", vibration is heavily dampened, and I can run 70mph pretty easily (this ain't no V-Strom).
A lighter rider, one-up, is likely to have a magnified sensation of any handling anomolies, while a heavier person; two-up, or well-packed touring rig (barring cross-wind effect), is likely to find the bike well-planted and sure at speed.
Back to the V-Strom; sliding the fork tubes up about 15mm in the triple-trees can help because it shifts the bike's weight forward and down relative to the front axle, thus loading the front tire more, resulting in more contact patch area...not only does this help offset acceleration forces, but it also aids transitioning through sweepers.
Just my 2-cents worth...personally, I'm already SOLD on the "Big-V", and will soon have one in my driveway. Just remember; Suzuki has the bike thing pretty well dialed-in..."testers" tend to push bikes well beyond where the normal rider is likely too--and they "need" to find critisisms...riding any bike is a highly subjective experience--your mileage may vary. IMHO, the V-Strom probably represents the best merger of sport, touring, cruiser, and utility of any bike today, and the value for price is incomparable. BTW, my local dealer has two '03s--brand new, one for $7800, the other, fitted with panniers and trunk, $8500...now if only it's still there in another week or so....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
somebody call mcdonald's and tell 'em to bring back the supersize! :D on second thought no,i'll get smoked at the mini-motard and dirt track races in the formula 150 4-stroke class for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
bags and topcase

and 2 up. Never experienced any of these wobble issues.

And I'll even admit to having too much weight in the topcase as a result of the previous owner giving me soo many goodies to carry home.

Never got over 80 though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 1000 with the factory bags is stable at all speeds. If loaded equally you will not even know they are there. I just did an extended ride 800kms with speeds up to 180km/h..no problems! The more I ride the bike the better it gets...

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I JUST did a 1000 Mile ride over the 90 West to Seattle and over 2 mountain passes with all 3 pieces of luggage fully loaded and had no problems what so ever....

I did Raise my forks 15mm last year and that did help in handling with the wind.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Dougddt said:
I'm looking at a V-strom 1000 and I love everything about it. But I have read about it being unstable with side bags. Doug
Maybe it's one of those "Liter Bike" issues. . . . :D (He says jokingly, not wanting to start a flame-fest with the "Liter Bike" guys).

I ride often with my HT Panniers loaded down and at "high(er)" speeds and haven't ever noticed a wiggle or a wobble or any real form of instability. I commented in other threads that the push I used to get (primarily) on the front end from cross-winds is "evened out" with the panniers on the bike. More of an equal push front and rear rather than front biased

My .02 worth

·
Registered
37 Posts
never any problems, since adding my givi's

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Givi E21's and SHAD37. Rides the same with or without the luggage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
high speed weave

I have 3 x E460 (my friend calls it a fat a r s e suzuki but he's only jealous because i can carry more than his wing :) ) and with a moderate load on board it gets a fairly disconcerting weave going at 117, i think its only an aerodynamic problem at this speed everything under is fine :) . One thing about this much space is that i took everything i needed and some stuff i didnt :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have had vstrom for 6 months 8000 miles...this thing work right out great...with the bags i felt no problem whatsoever...i did go for 300 ile trip more than a dozen times and ride on a average of 85 miles...no problem with stability....i have the factory fitted saddle bags with the top box....absolutely stable....

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far I have put just over 25K on the bike. I find the bike to be less stable but more flickable than my friend's 1150GS. The V-Strom is definitely much more responsive to body position in corners. Just a tiny dip of the shoulders or turn of the head will make a difference. The only time I found the bike quite unstable was when chopping the throttle at around 120 mph on an old set of tires. Other than that, I ride to the edges of my tires quite often and feel the bike could do much more with a more skilled rider. Rider skill issues - absolutely! Bike capability issues - none encountered in real world riding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts