StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a DL 1000.

I ride the hell out my R6. I am not expecting the same kinda top end or handeling, but realisticly what should I expect outa the liter Strom?

I prefer corner carving, but Southern Ontario doesn't seem to have any of those, so I gotta ride for 3 hours to get to some. I have a bad knee and the older I get the less it likes my choice of sportbikes, so I am looking to compromise.

Torque seems to be covered nicely, its the "get outa Dodge" ability I am questioning.

Any help would be appreciated.

M

·
0 Posts
It'll run for ya. And the ergos will be favorable for that knee. It'll be comfy for that 3 hour ride and then take you into the twisties with confidence. Just don't let 'em tell ya the 650's all you need.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Having been down that particular road, I'd suggest a Bandit. But, definitely ride both. The ergos of my DL1000 are much better than my GSF1200S, but when it comes time to romp.....:twisted:

Anyhoo, it's the Bandit, not the Strom that's going up for sale. For this old coot, the DL just works better. And yes, you can still embarass your friends in the twisties on your Strom. Ride both.

Jeff

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
And ride a 650, too. Because, really, the 650's all you need... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a VTR 1000 Firestorm before the R6... I liked the grunt it had.

There is no way I am having a V-twin less than 996 CC's... I like to look at the sky sometimes...:D

I have rode the Bandamit... Not my thing, just couldn't warm up to it.

I won't embarass any of my riding buddies with a Strom, I just wanna be able to keep pace. The boys are fast.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If you're a skilled rider, you'll keep pace with nearly anyone on the 1000.

And then you'll start to wonder why they need to pull over every 100 miles or so... ;)

Really, once you open it up, PCIII and some pipes, maybe a re-gear - it'll flat smoke MANY sportbikes and you'll hang with the best of em.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
It is not the speed but the challenge of going fast with ANY motorcycle.
You will have as much fun with the Strom as with the R6, maybe more. You will do it comfortably and your knee will thank you. Once you ride a real handlebar on a very technical road, you will never go back to clip ons.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Years

You find that you have to change over the years. At 50, I can't crouch over a sport anymore. Another thing is, I travel great distances. The ergos on the Strom are necessary for me.

The question is, will you miss the turbine humm of a 4 cylinder engine. Twins are more thumpy and growly and have great character, which is fun. Newer 1000s will vibrate until broken in and tuned up. The Strom is tall, light and handles well. The 1000 twin is more of a torque monster (fast) compared to the jet fighter shriek fast of a 4 cylinder. Bikes are a very personal decision. I know when I have a good one when I have choices and I still jump on the Strom every time.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
The 1000 is plenty fast, plenty powerful and plenty fun. You have a ton of mod options at your fingertips, and the bike is just a hoot to ride. Plus.....you get to hang out here with us!!!!:mrgreen:

By the way.......ignore those 650 riders, they're trying to get you to drink their koolaid.;)

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
the unvarnished truth is the strom will go as fast as you otter be going on public streets and you won't need a chiropractor when you are done riding.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Uh, don't be afraid to try the 650, 'it's all you need' and you can quote me on that. :D
(tee hee)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts