StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everybody!

New member here, and I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've read so much, looked at so many Youtube videos and contemplated / compared so much that my head's about to fall off, and I'd like for some help.

First of all, I'm a newbie. Got my license in October (for motorcycles that is). I had a Transalp 650 back then, but I realized that I just don't fit right on it. I'm between 6'3 and 6'4 (192cm's), and I weigh about 264-275 pounds (120-130kg's).

A month ago I (rather impulsively, thanks to myself and ADHD) traded in my Transalp for a CBF1000FA, thinking it was a better fit. Of course, as I've learned over these couple of weeks, it's not. At all. My problem is that I've got an old injury, which is a herniated disc in my lower back. The CBF absolutely kills my right shoulder and lower back.

Now to the point. I need something comfortable, fun and affordable to explore with. I love exploring, and I'm not a huge fan of the mind-crushing torque and power of the 1000cc CBF that I currently own. Still haven't even cranked it full throttle yet, because it gives me quite a death-scare (is that even a word..?)

So, I tested a 2012 DL650 (a "Wee"?) the other day. It's not fully equipped, but it was so nice to ride. It was hungry for corners, it had a really quick and nice acceleration, and it was comfortable. My question to you guys is:

Is 5158 dollars a good price for a 2012 Wee with a topbox and heated grips? It's run 33k km's (20505 US miles) and it felt and looks great.

Is the 650 "enough" for a guy my size? I keep telling myself I shouldn't be riding a 1000cc because of my impulsiveness, and that frankly, I can't (and don't want to) die like an idiot because of some adrenalin rush. I've got 2 baby girls, I'm not planning on leaving them and my wife.

I'm also going to test a Vee tomorrow, just to see what it actually handles like, for reference sake.

Any and all advice is hugely welcome, and thank you all for helping a confused newbie out!

Cheers and happy easter!

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I'm 6'1", 190 or so, have had an 08 650, 2012 650 , an 07 1000 and now 2014 1000.
For the 650, I'd go 2012 or newer, the 1000, 2014 or newer. Test ride both, but the 1000 sits taller, feels roomier, LOTS more oomph, and I missed those extra CC's and went back and forth, but will stay with the bigger motor, it's just too much fun.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Pricing is really dependent on your country, that does sound expensive for Canada but that bike does have very low mileage. The 650 does have plenty of power and the size, weight and handling is quite similar to the 1000. 1000 does shine at higher speeds (110km/hr plus). 650 is more trouble free. I often ride two up on the 650 with full luggage and no issue at all...180 pds plus gear for me, 130 pds plus gear for wife plus metal cases and included items...even at 110km/hr.
As a sidenote, I doubt the 1000 would get you in trouble...it is not a sportsbike, just additional torque and more relaxed high speed cruising. I rode a 2014 Dl1000 around Greece a number of years back.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I am 6'2" and 220. I often ride with a pillion and our combined weights are 375lbs. I also installed an Adventuretech peg lowering kit which helped a lot with leg comfort for me. Personally, I would look for a 2017 or later due to engine improvements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 6'1", 190 or so, have had an 08 650, 2012 650 , an 07 1000 and now 2014 1000.
For the 650, I'd go 2012 or newer, the 1000, 2014 or newer. Test ride both, but the 1000 sits taller, feels roomier, LOTS more oomph, and I missed those extra CC's and went back and forth, but will stay with the bigger motor, it's just too much fun.
Considering the prices for older Vee's here in Sweden, I ain't getting anywhere close to a 2014 1000 (for now). The one I'm testing tomorrow is a 2005 Vee that has 33243 US miles on it, with very limited accessories, and a pretty ugly white / yellow color with Suzuki written all over the place.
But thank you for the advice, made me feel good about the Wee being a 2012!

Pricing is really dependent on your country, that does sound expensive for Canada but that bike does have very low mileage. The 650 does have plenty of power and the size, weight and handling is quite similar to the 1000. 1000 does shine at higher speeds (110km/hr plus). 650 is more trouble free. I often ride two up on the 650 with full luggage and no issue at all...180 pds plus gear for me, 130 pds plus gear for wife plus metal cases and included items...even at 110km/hr.
As a sidenote, I doubt the 1000 would get you in trouble...it is not a sportsbike, just additional torque and more relaxed high speed cruising. I rode a 2014 Dl1000 around Greece a number of years back.
That's absolutely awesome to hear for many reasons! I love in Sweden, and there's a very scarce market for V-Stroms (at least right now). There are about 2 used Vee's in the entire country, and about 4 Wee's. This Wee is the only one that's newer than 2004, believe it or not.

Since the maximum speed limit in Sweden is 110km/h on the highways, the Wee sounds extremely viable then, especially if it rides / feels good at 110!

Thank you very much!

I am 6'2" and 220. I often ride with a pillion and our combined weights are 375lbs. I also installed an Adventuretech peg lowering kit which helped a lot with leg comfort for me. Personally, I would look for a 2017 or later due to engine improvements.
Thank you extremely much for that peg lowering tip, and the info! Spectacular!

To everyone:
Thank you very much for sharing! Can't believe how much (and how fast!) awesome info I got in such s short amount of time! Thank you!

Another question:
Where does the Wee like to be in RPM's? And what RPM's do you typically have at 110km/h (around 55mp/h)?

Thank you again! Cheers!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Considering the prices for older Vee's here in Sweden, I ain't getting anywhere close to a 2014 1000 (for now). The one I'm testing tomorrow is a 2005 Vee that has 33243 US miles on it, with very limited accessories, and a pretty ugly white / yellow color with Suzuki written all over the place.
But thank you for the advice, made me feel good about the Wee being a 2012!

That's absolutely awesome to hear for many reasons! I love in Sweden, and there's a very scarce market for V-Stroms (at least right now). There are about 2 used Vee's in the entire country, and about 4 Wee's. This Wee is the only one that's newer than 2004, believe it or not.

Since the maximum speed limit in Sweden is 110km/h on the highways, the Wee sounds extremely viable then, especially if it rides / feels good at 110!

Thank you very much!

Thank you extremely much for that peg lowering tip, and the info! Spectacular!

To everyone:
Thank you very much for sharing! Can't believe how much (and how fast!) awesome info I got in such s short amount of time! Thank you!

Another question:
Where does the Wee like to be in RPM's? And what RPM's do you typically have at 110km/h (around 55mp/h)?

Thank you again! Cheers!
110km/hr is actually around 70 mph.
dl650 turns just under 5000 rpm at that speed. Both bikes like to run over 3500 rpm.
dl650 really shines in the mountains or twisties at 80-100 km/hr.
If you intend to spend much of your time at 110 plus you may enjoy the more relaxed (lower rpm) of the 1000. 2012 was a very good year for the 650 however.

·
Registered
768 Posts
110km/hr is actually around 70 mph.
dl650 turns just under 5000 rpm at that speed. Both bikes like to run over 3500 rpm.
dl650 really shines in the mountains or twisties at 80-100 km/hr.
If you intend to spend much of your time at 110 plus you may enjoy the more relaxed (lower rpm) of the 100. 2012 was a very good year for the 650 however.
On a sidenote, I rode a dl650 two up on a group tour with mostly BMW 1200GS’s across Italy and through the mountains of Corsica and Sardinia. Was easily able to keep up with the larger bikes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Whether the bike is 'enough' depends much more on the rider's preferences than anything else. I recently added a more powerful bike (07 Yamaha FZ6) to my garage as an addition to the 07 Wee, thinking I wanted more. The FZ is now for sale. While I really wanted that power, and enjoyed having it, the Wee just better suits the way I usually ride. Turns out the Wee is enough after all. There are a number of people on this board who have ridden both the 650 and the 1000, and they seem to be split on which they say is the better ride. Buy whichever of them you feel more comfortable on, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good-size bearded guy here. 6’0” and ~250 lbs and my 650 gets me around with plenty of pep.

For what it’s worth.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
650 is probably good enough. I hear speeding in Europe is very bad!

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
6'-5" and around 235 suited up. My 07 is the most comfortable bike I've ever had, which is why I still have it. Peg lowering brackets, and I built my seat up a couple inches, different bars too. Power delivery is smooth throughout the range. ~115k miles and still going strong.

·
Registered
2008 WeeStrom
46 Posts
Too many giants in here!
Seriously tho, I am 6-5", 300#, and I hade a Vee before this one, and rode it all over the country. The latest - a 650, is fine - I do really miss those 2nd gear wheelies!

I would highly recommend handlebar risers - specifically ROX - on my second set and they are a gamechanger for tall guys (if you ride the pegs) - If you don't ride the pegs you should, as it triples my daily range.

·
Registered
17 Posts
6’5” 260lbs here. Have a 2013 dl650. Things I’ve done - peg/shifter/rear brake lowering kit, the one from adventuretexh I believe that allows the gear shifter to be lengthened to fit my size 15 boot.
rode it like that for 8k miles and enjoyed every mile.
Now installed rox bareback risers. Believe they are 1.5” up and back... big improvement. Got stiffer springs for the forks (the rear could use a stiffer spring as well, maybe a better shock completely but it’s fine for how I ride for now.
Plan to get a slightly taller/more comfortable seat, and add longer S.S. Front brake lines for a better brake feel.
Honestly feel that no other bike would be this comfortable and fitting for my size.
Its as close to perfect as I can imagine.Go for it!
That price does seem kinda steep but if it has a lot of the add ons you’d want and saves you $ there, go for it.
For reference, I got my 2013 with 5k miles, bone stock for $3000. But don’t see those deals everyday.

·
Registered
502 Posts
5' 11", and now down to 180. Not as big as you, but definitely have comfort issues. My neck is a bit screwed up on C6-C7. If I sit on a bike where I have to lean forward much at all, my left hand goes all numb and tingly in 10 minutes.

But the seating position on the 2011 650 has completely eliminated those problems for me. It is literally more comfortable than my actual Lazy-Boy recliner.

·
Registered
532 Posts
No beard but wife is 5'9" and I'm 6'2". Together with luggage, etc. we have ridden 1000's of miles along the coast of North Carolina and Virginia as well as through the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia. Our '09 Wee has been reliable and competent. As mentioned by others, it excels at higher RPM's as that is it's power band. It also is just fine as a lower RPM touring platform, especially when traveling secondary roads.

The following accolades are unsolicited but provide a glimpse into how the Suzuki DL650 was received:

In a September 2006 article, Cycle World magazine wrote "the DL650 may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today."[15] A 2004 article from MotorcycleUSA.com said "it was hard to imagine another machine with a competitive versatility-per-dollar ratio."[7] Twice consecutively, the DL650 has earned the title "Alpenkoenig" (King of the Alps), winning German Motorrad magazine's trans-alp multi-bike test in 2005 and 2006.[16]

Put your mind at ease, buy the 650 and know that there will be those who know, those who disagree and those who don't care!

Reactions: MotoGiant

·
Registered
768 Posts
See lots of dl650’s in Europe. In Athens, police ride them 2 up, (second bike) :)
AAC3FEA0-79B0-49C3-8E31-545A4EB45AF7.jpeg

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm your size and my 2006 DL1000 is okay for moderate touring, the 91 horse power is adequate. I came off a FJR1300, so it felt slow for a while. The main difference between the DL650 and DL1000 is the torque and the suspension is a little better on the 1000. The DL650 also needs much more RPM to run the faster speeds. Much better at 70 mph or 112 kph pulling hills without feeling stressed. I run the 17/43 sprockets and I can stay in 6th gear with a heavy load at 4000 rpm all day, no constant shifting up and down hills.

The DL1000 burns less fuel on the interstate also, but at lower speeds it won't get the same economy as the 650. The DL650 burns much less fuel in the city traffic. I like working on the DL1000 engine better, the valves are a littler easier to adjust. If I was just in the city or on secondary roads mostly the DL650 would be fine, but I prefer the DL1000 for wide open spaces. I like the lower rpm, less shifting and better mid range power. I'm 6'-4" and 260 pounds, the adventure style bikes really fit me well, I make the DL1000 look very small. But I rode a 650 when I was over 300 pounds, it can do it with a suspension upgrade! Either bike will need stronger springs, the forks need the most help.

Here is a pic from a few years ago when I had the regular panniers, I have the aluminum 37 liter panniers on there now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You would probably happier with the added HP and torque of a DL1000. That said, I have numerous friends who travel 2-up on 650s, and love it. That includes one friend - probably 6'2" and 220 lb - who rode with his wife & a load of camping gear from Texas to the Artic Circle and back on a 2006 650.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts