StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen this before or any posts related to it!
Today, as I'm shifting through the gears, I look down and the gear indicator for 3rd gear disappeared. All the other gears showed up but each time I shifted into 3rd it was missing the indication. Bike is running fantastic! 23k miles on the 2016 right now. I stopped for lunch, continue my ride and this time, when I shift to 3rd, it says 5 on the indicator. I shift again and it goes to 4th, 5th and 6th as it should.
My voltage indicator reads 14v. I did see the indicator read 3 again on the way home, but by the time I got home it was reading 5 again.
Anyone ever see this before? Very strange!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The gear position switch is a series of precision resistors, one for each gear. If a little dirt or corrosion gets into a connection to change the resistance, problems ensue. Of course a damaged resistor can be a problem but a connection problem is much more common.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply Greywolf! When looking in my service manual, what area would I find that? Do you know if the switch is a replacement module?

·
38,103 Posts
Here it is in the parts diagram, #36. It's on the right side of the bike under the clutch cover. I think the clutch has to come out to access it. The part number is 37730-31J00 and it goes for about $75. Since you only have a problem with one gear, it probably is not the connector above the engine. I don't have a Vee2 manual.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great! Thanks Greywolf, and while I was searching the internet, my wife found the information I need in the manual (she's a keeper). I will check it out and report back.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I took the GPS connector apart today, and found a small piece of crud in it. I blew it out with the air hose and put some Dielectric grease in there. Time will tell if that fixes it or I have to take the GPS out for replacement. Thanks for your help Greywolf!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put some miles on today and after cleaning the connector and adding some dielectric grease, the Gear indicator is still messed up! So, I will order a new GPS and go with the replacement!

Question: Can I remove the entire clutch basket as one unit without removing the plates? I have never had to replace clutch plates before so this is new territory for me.

·
38,103 Posts
I've changed the thread title to attract out resident clutch guru, Terry (Realshelby).

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
The clutch comes apart easily, just be sure to lay the rings down in the order you removed them, and reassemble the opposite way. The hardest part was getting all the old gasket off both sides of the casing, just be careful not to nick the aluminum edge anywhere.

On the old bike you did not need to disassemble the water pump, just drain the fluids out and be careful which bolts you took out, I imagine this new bike is the same.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's great! Thanks Greywolf, and while I was searching the internet, my wife found the information I need in the manual (she's a keeper). I will check it out and report back.
If I could get my wife to read the manual for me I'd get a lot more accomplished. She's probably too busy looking for the wrench I just laid down anyway:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the clutch has to come out Realshelby has a great video on the process - search "WERKS clutch installation" on Youtube. The VEE2 is slightly different. You'll have to remove panels and prop the back end of the fuel tank up to access the coolant reservoir. This also helps with access to the radiator cap for re-fill. Also instead of the 5 springs/bolts to remove outside the pressure plate we now have three bolts and a plate. Careful with the nut removal off the shaft, do your best to remove the peen. I didn't quite get it and the impact wrench cracked the peened portion which scarred some of the threads on the shaft.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks VTOD! I'll take my time and follow your caveat! Maybe get some pics when I get in there. I have plenty of time to get this done since it isn't affecting the ride. I retire at the end of May and figure I am adding it to my list of things to take care of!

Reactions: Bugzy

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,438 Posts
Been on the road away from the computer.....you will have to remove the clutch plates to access the nut that holds the inner hub onto the shaft. No worries, just lay stuff out the exact order it comes off and the side up goes in first. Don't bother cleaning the parts, they don't need it, when you install them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been on the road away from the computer.....you will have to remove the clutch plates to access the nut that holds the inner hub onto the shaft. No worries, just lay stuff out the exact order it comes off and the side up goes in first. Don't bother cleaning the parts, they don't need it, when you install them.
Thanks realshelby! With your and Buzby's advice, I'm confident I can get that apart and replace the GPS.

Do I need to purchase a clutch tool to hold the basket when I ratchet the nut out? I read something about a special tool, but if my garage was stocked with all the special tools mentioned in the service manual, I might as well work for Suzuki!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,438 Posts
The clutch hub tool is nice to have. There have been owners put a 2x4 through the back rim, put the bike in gear, and break the nut loose that way. You will note that method is NOT approved by WERKS Parts......

An air impact wrench and a 30mm socket will sometimes do the job.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, thanks and I have the Impact and socket sets so good there! I appreciate all the advice on this!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts